Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

April camping in Sandusky, Ohio?

I'm looking for suggestions for a campground near Sandusky that might be open in April. None of the KOA's are open that early and the only Good Sam is Crystal Rock, which doesn't seem to have great ratings.

I know April's kind of early, but I was hoping to be able to break out the camper instead of hoteling it this trip. But that's only if we can find a good, clean campground that's open.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I'm looking for suggestions for a campground near Sandusky that might be open in April. None of the KOA's are open that early and the only Good Sam is Crystal Rock, which doesn't seem to have great ratings.

I know April's kind of early, but I was hoping to be able to break out the camper instead of hoteling it this trip. But that's only if we can find a good, clean campground that's open.
Did you try the Cedar Point CG? It's right on lake erie and part of the Cedar Point properties. Most people say nice things about it.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I took a look at it, but they don't open until May. Most of them seem to be tied to CP's open date unfortunately.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
MI Camperz

Quote:
I took a look at it, but they don't open until May. Most of them seem to be tied to CP's open date unfortunately.
Ahhh! How about State Parks? Just up the road from there are island in Lake Erie with camping....I forgot what they're called.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good idea. I didn't think to check state parks.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
MI Camperz

Quote:
Good idea. I didn't think to check state parks.
Hope you find a nice place on the Lake. Enjoy being the earlier bird and just listen to the sounds and watch spring try to peek out. Sigh! Can't wait myself.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #7

Milan Travel Park is not far from Sandusky and might be open. Also, west of town a bit but on Lake Erie is East Harbor State Park.
Hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately it looks like Milan is closed until May as well. A shame really, they were both a Good Sam location and just down the road from Kalahari, which we would like to hit one day during this trip.

East Harbour shows they'll be open, but not the full hookup sites. Might work though.

I was impressed to see that had full hookup sites though. Having camped mostly Michigan State Parks or Ontario Provincial Parks, I've never seen a site offer more than electric. I might be able to convince the DW to do more state parks if they offered more full hookups around here.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #9

Camped in a Michigan State Park one time on journey from Ohio to Niagara falls across Canada on into Frakenmuth. Stopped out side of Flint? After Paying my State imposed camping Fee which allowed me the right to buy an over-nite stay, we set up in an absolute Pig Sty of a campground. Absolute disgusting the conditions of this State Park. Granted it was in the 90's but I've never camped in Michigan again. I believe it cost me about 60 bucks for the one night of camping in my pop-up trailer. I finished the trip in private campgrounds, saved a ton of money and they were clean and well maintained. A vast difference from the State Parks. I wonder in anything has changed?
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've only done 1 state park so far with this trailer. As a kid (in the 80's) the family used to do nothing but state parks. Yes, there's the one time fee for a park pass, but after that, they're usually quite economical.

For instance, I paid $27.00 a night the one time we hit a state park last year. In comparison, I average $50-60 a night at private campgrounds. The one we did hit (Holly) was clean and relatively quiet. Definitely not a pigsty.

Now, back in the 80's, we did hit the odd one that was terrible (Sterling is the only one I remember by name), but generally they were pretty good most of the time.

If we need to entertain the kids, then we look at the KOAs or Jellystones and pay the marked up rates. But if we want to just camp, give me a state/provincial park any day.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #11

April can be pretty iffy , weather wise up there. Last year it was horrible but other years Ive been fishing in tee shirt. East Harbor is a fine park. Google campgrounds around port clinton and you'll find several
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm from the north side of the lake, so it should technically be warmed down there.

Though with this third week in a row of winter weather advisories, I'm not so sure April's going to be warm this time around.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #13

We have stayed at Crystal Rock several times. It is under new management now. It was formerly a KOA that went down hill. Crystal Rock is a clean, quiet campground. The new owners have been doing a lot of work (new cabins, electric/water sites, etc) to the campground. We will be going back in Sept with our club. Another place we like is Maumee Bay State Park. It is west of Crystal Rock, closer to Toledo. I believe they are open year round, but not the whole camping section (just the front section). We go there once a month May thru Oct. Maumee Bay is electric sites only. You fill your fresh water tank there as you pass the campground office. Also no sewer hook ups, have to use the dump station. Hope this helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #14

My Wife and I camped at East Harbor last April, weather wise it was about 40 deg. day temp and had a little bit of snow one night but all in all it was great to use the camper for the first time. Power was on but no water hookup this time of the year.
Best of all, no wait at the dump station and pets were allowed in the none pet sites.
We are planning our first outing there this April, not much to do other than replenish the wine stocks at the local wineries, drink some beer and smoke a few cigars around the fire ring.
cantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks both for the info. So far it's looking like East Harbour, if I can convince the missus to camp. It needs to warm up a little before I try though.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #16

Just so you know, currently Lake Erie is 100% frozen. That end of the lake is the shallowest, so it will melt first. But, you still have a good chance that if prevailing winds are out of the north, during your stay, the closer to the lake you set up camp, the colder it will be. People who are not familiar with the Great Lakes weather systems, are often suprised on how much they influence the surrounding land mass. A lot will depend on how Spring sets up, the wind direction, etc. Lake Erie is unique in that PASNY and Ontario Hydro, determine when to let the remaining ice out the eastern end. Albeit that is 200 miles down the lake, but the decision is based on two main things, water temperature and remaining ice cover at the eastern end. So enjoy, and hope for a warm Spring.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, I'm definitely familiar. I'm from the north shore of Lake Erie.

Just been trying to convince the wife it'll be warm enough to talk her out of the $249 a night hotels she's been looking at.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #18

You can do it, tell her you need to test the heater and get rid of some old firewood.
cantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #19

Ah, your winter hardy, it's a walk in the park then. Thought you were from more south, thats why I was giving you the heads up. Save the two and a half bucks, and put the difference towards a nice surprise gift for her adventure.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 01 View Post
Camped in a Michigan State Park one time on journey from Ohio to Niagara falls across Canada on into Frakenmuth. Stopped out side of Flint? After Paying my State imposed camping Fee which allowed me the right to buy an over-nite stay, we set up in an absolute Pig Sty of a campground. Absolute disgusting the conditions of this State Park. Granted it was in the 90's but I've never camped in Michigan again. I believe it cost me about 60 bucks for the one night of camping in my pop-up trailer. I finished the trip in private campgrounds, saved a ton of money and they were clean and well maintained. A vast difference from the State Parks. I wonder in anything has changed?
David, we are primarily Michigan State Park campers and I can attest they have been redone one by one and they are wonderful places to camp. You are correct that they were sketchy at best years back. Try it again on your next trip through, I am positive you will find things have really changed for the better. I have nothing against private campgrounds, but I like the $27 dollar a night rates at the State parks versus the $45+ a night elsewhere. The only real downside I can say is the lower price may possibly get you some rowdier twenty-something tent campers next to you, but nothing asking politely to tone it down can't cure.
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping