Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Best Route from Harrisburg, PA to Binghamton, NY

Good morning everyone! We are headed from Northern Virginia to Lake George with an overnight in Binghamton, NY in August and I wanted to see what you think is the best route when pulling a travel trailer (the one least likely to involve white knuckles yet still get us there in this century).

It looks like the only choice is I-81 but some maps show another interstate that goes past Williamsport (I-180) extended to I-86. Most maps don't show this, however, so I suspect that it is proposed but not completed yet.

Can anyone tell me if this road exists and/or offer their opinion on the best route between Harrisburg and Binghamton. We need the best balance of safety versus time as we are traveling with three small children.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!
NewBerkFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #2

Hello,
I-81 is quickest route and best route for towing. Rt.15 to I-180 to Rt15 to I-86 will take much longer and is not interstate so there are sections with red lights and other intersections. Same with US Route 220.

I-95 is quickest way from NVA to Lake George. Assuming you have plans in Binghamton or just want to avoid Philly/NYC?

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

oh the interstate u speak that may or may not exist is Interstate 99. It is complete from I-180 to the New York State line. Then there is about 20 miles of 2 lane road before you get to 86. It's a big bottleneck and even when complete, it won't be quicker to Binghamton.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
Hello,
I-81 is quickest route and best route for towing. Rt.15 to I-180 to Rt15 to I-86 will take much longer and is not interstate so there are sections with red lights and other intersections. Same with US Route 220.

I-95 is quickest way from NVA to Lake George. Assuming you have plans in Binghamton or just want to avoid Philly/NYC?
Family to visit just outside of Binghamton but avoiding Philly/NYC is a bonus.

Thanks for the info - especially about the other route. You have confirmed what I suspected!
NewBerkFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

I-81 is your best bet. We live just outside of Harrisburg and just came thru Binghampton Friday afternoon on the way to Turning Stone.