Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
gamtnbear and aceinspp, OOPS! Sorry but I was thinking about Bald Mountain CG and not Bald Ridge. Both are very nice CG's that we like to visit.
Senior moment Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #22

We camped at Laura Walker State Park in Waycross, Georgia this past weekend. We made a day trip to St. Simon’s Island and Jekyll Island. There is a golf course,two small lakes, and the Okefenokie Swamp Park across the road. The photos are from this park. We also stayed ad Skidaway last year this time. Close access to Savannah. We enjoyed both parks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4EFE0EA4-14C1-4C65-A51D-CE25C279221D.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	159532   Click image for larger version

Name:	6C624977-0BA7-48E2-AC0D-64C11827B438.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	159533  

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #23

Georgia has a lot of great parks. We tend to stick with the state parks and the COE parks. Our favorite state parks are Mistletoe SP, which is only 30 minutes from the city of Augusta; and R. Shaeffer Heard SP, which is where we go when we don't need to have anything to do attraction wise. Both are very clean, are located on beautiful lakes, and have large, paved sites.

The COE parks are also great for the same reasons. They have the added benefit of being able to reserve a specific campsite. Duckett's Mill and Bolding Mill, both located on Lake Lanier, are very nice parks.

When we want to go to the beach we prefer River's End Campground on Tybee Island. Not a lot of elbow room there, but the layout and the trees make it feel less like a "parking lot" than other places we've been. A great choice if you want to be close to Savannah, or just want to relax at the beach.
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnP Farm View Post
The bigger the net the more you catch. No kids but we always travel with our two labs. Space is important. Just got back from Jekyll Island in Coastal Ga. Very disappointed...felt like we were in a trailer park. Our fire pit was just a few feet from the neighbors sewer "deposit".
We stayed at the Jekyll Island campground years ago. I got the impression that with the beach and other attractions that it was was mostly a place to corral the RV's for parking and sleeping.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Georgia

Skidaway Island State park is really nice. Near Savannah. You would have been much happier there when you visited Jekyll Island area.

Nice get away for us was General Coffee State park. Not a heckuva lot to do there, but quiet, nice nature trail.. just a relaxing time.

A.H. Stephens state park is another nice one. Nice bit of local history.

We have heard a lot of good things about FDR state park. We have reservations for June timeframe there. Little White House, Calloway Gardens and several other fun things to do there.

Mike

We live in Savannah GA and are familiar with Skidaway Island State Park. It's around 100 miles from Jekyll Island.
I would recommend it for spring and fall, even a mild winter (unlike what we're experiencing this week!). It is "woodsy" with shaded sites and has a pool open during the summer months when the weather is hot and humid (bring insect repellent).
We haven't camped there as it wouldn't be much different than camping in our back yard but we have used the day use picnic area and drive through the camping area on occasion to check out any improvements.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #26

Here's a gem I'm reluctant to share

Old Federal State Park, absolutely wonderful, very large camp sites on a lake. All that needs saying.
Big Gray Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #27

Mountain View Campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamtnbear View Post
Mountain View Campground
In the North Georgia Mountains near Hiawassee Georgia is a little gem. only 32 spots full hook ups with 30 and 50 amp. Plenty of room and lots for bigger rigs. Dog Friendly. Not a lot of amenities. They have a Music Hall that during the summer season hosts live music, movies and Karaoke. It is off the main roads so very quiet. Friendly helpful owners. Great central location to the areas offerings such as Helen, Lake Chatuge, Brasstown Bald the highest peak in GA and the John C Campbell Folk School. If hiking is your thing, the Appalachian Trail crosses two different highways near here. Recently renovated to feature great WI-FI and Cable which is included in the rate. Check them out and if you book tell them Marvin sent ya!! lol
We stayed here, a couple days, 1/1-1/2/18, on our way from Cincinnati to FL. We were still winterized, so we didn't require any hook ups, other than electric. SUPER nice park. It is a year round park, however, half of their water lines froze up. (They are fixing that issue this year.) It was very quiet, and the CG Staff are super.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
We stayed here, a couple days, 1/1-1/2/18, on our way from Cincinnati to FL. We were still winterized, so we didn't require any hook ups, other than electric. SUPER nice park. It is a year round park, however, half of their water lines froze up. (They are fixing that issue this year.) It was very quiet, and the CG Staff are super.
Wondering what route you took getting from Cincinnati. I'm heading down to Florida early/mid March. Currently running I-75 and note that this park is a bit east of that route. Always looking for good places to stop for a day or two!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #29

I-75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Wondering what route you took getting from Cincinnati. I'm heading down to Florida early/mid March. Currently running I-75 and note that this park is a bit east of that route. Always looking for good places to stop for a day or two!
We took I-75. We wanted to check out that park for future stay. We also avoided I-75/Atlanta! From the CG GPS routed us East to 441 South, I-85 etc..... I HATE I-75 through Atlanta! We are returning to Cincinnati via I-65 later this month. We'll see how that route works out.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
We live in Savannah GA and are familiar with Skidaway Island State Park. It's around 100 miles from Jekyll Island.
Brain fart.. I had Tybee Island on the brain.

Mike
Old 01-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #31

We've stayed at Hart SP in Hart, GA. on Lake Hartwell to watch the solar eclipse. Nice CG, clean facilities and many sites on the lake.
As for SailorSam and twdenman comments about driving thru Atlanta, we've driven that route for the last forty years going back and forth to Wisconsin. The best route THRU Atlanta is in the HOV lane. Just make sure to top off your fuel before entering Atlanta, that way there's no need to look for an exit and re-entry onto I-75. Using the HOV lane, at anytime of the day, will get you thru Atlanta with a minimum of down time and no worries about whether you're in the correct lane. This is the only way we go thru Atlanta.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg