Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

Blue Ridge Parkway

The DW and I are planning on driving the Blue Ridge Parkway from Front Royal Va. to Cherokee NC. in late May early June.
Any suggestions of campgrounds and towns to explore along the way.
Will be pulling a 30 ft TT Flagstaff 26RBWS with my F150.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic35767_3.gif
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

We just travelled the BRP back in October......no traffic and very peaceful.

See the link here for complete details

https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

Also, see the attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56CABE73-1B77-43E9-A875-F22883296088.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	221390  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #3

The part from Front Royal to Afton is actually the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. They do charge to drive on that part of your trip. Do you plan to stay in the Shenandoah/Blue Ridge campgrounds or private parks?
Pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #4

you'll see that while there are a few 'campgrounds' on the Blue Ridge itself, most are private rv parks 'nearby' in cities that touch the parkway, or close to it...

I would suggest, though, that you really scope out the ones you might be interested in, and get to know the 'terrain' and how to get off the parkway to them....sometimes it's more difficult to get off the parkway to these parks than it is driving the parkway itself.

I also wouldn't bank on driving too far each day, since the weather, traffic, and stops for views will certainly slow down your 'normal' speed... if you drive 100 miles on a single day you will probably find yourself arriving late for any reserved campground, and add too much pressure to 'reach' your destination...
one way to combat this is to simply have several rv parks or campgrounds within scope for the day, then contact them as you are getting closer, rather than make advanced reservations, unless you know absolutely that you are going to be able to reach them without issues... the parkway is no place to be 'driving' at night.

You'll find that this is a terrific path for a vacation, but be realistic about mileage each day...if you decided that 50 to 75 per day can be adequate and fit your camping travel style, you'll find you are enjoying yourself, will have time to stop at pullovers, restaurants in towns along the way, and create memories without much aggravation or pressure, and won't be so worried about your speed, and be much more generous pulling over at the many pulloffs to allow faster traffic to go by...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #5

Smile Thanks for the replys

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.
We have driven the Parkway before in a car from Front Royal to Cherokee, but that was 30 odd years ago. We will be in no hurry and plan on taking 2 weeks to make the trip. We will also take side trips to communities along the Parkway. Still have research to do on campgrounds along the way. Plan on staying at FHU sites off the parkway most of the time.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic35767_3.gif
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

There was extensive construction going on at end of summer on the stretch near the NC Northern border. Check website for Parkway before you go. The delays were horrible because of it, even with light traffic. Had to get off it. Plus all the rocks and crap were killing my car. Don't know how it was 30 years ago, but take advantage of all the turnouts to let traffic pass you. Most people were pretty respectful in that regard, pulling over to let traffic pass that's coming from behind. I never encountered a trailer on the parkway, it would drive me nuts if I got stuck behind one that refused to pull over.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:18 PM   #7

I drove Skyline drive in the 1970's. I was young with a sports car and hated the drive. Too many RV's.Now I'm a lot older, wiser and I drive a motorhome. I love the BRP!!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hah! I had to get older to afford a real sports car!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ridge