Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

When in Asheville, the Biltmore estate is good for at least 1 full day. Takes about 2 hrs just to tour the house which is unbelievable as to the modern conveniences it had when built between 1889 and 1895. It has 250 rooms and 178,926 square feet with a complete bowling alley in the basement along with walk in freezers which were state of the art in 1895.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post
Red Wolf - we're spoiled-we have a 5er 'cause we like luxury! We're meeting friend at Campfire Lodgings right outside Asheville. They love primitive in their pop up but are compromising to meet us in luxury!
Lol!
Yeah, well...when I tell my wife there still isn't any internet up there, she may have other plans as well.

*I* still think it was one of the prettiest parks I've ever camped at, so I thought I'd suggest it.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #23

Gas Station

Don't do what I did. I tried to be my cheap self and look for the best price for gas, Gas Buddy. We got stuck in one section, and I can not remember exactly where it was, anyway almost ran out of gas not being able to find anything close. My fault completely, but it wont happen again on the BRP. There were no major service station close and I did not want to pay the price of the little guy station. I finally did and got enough to get to the next major city. I did this also in the Grand Canyon. Refused to pay the price on the north rim and almost ran out before I found a cheap price. Started carrying 5 gallon can with us. Need it for generators any way.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
When in Asheville, the Biltmore estate is good for at least 1 full day. Takes about 2 hrs just to tour the house which is unbelievable as to the modern conveniences it had when built between 1889 and 1895. It has 250 rooms and 178,926 square feet with a complete bowling alley in the basement along with walk in freezers which were state of the art in 1895.

Wow! Never heard this before-but knew it was at least 1/2 day. We've wanted to see it for decades! Finally will but with a friend on crutches-not sure how she'll so...
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
Don't do what I did. I tried to be my cheap self and look for the best price for gas, Gas Buddy. We got stuck in one section, and I can not remember exactly where it was, anyway almost ran out of gas not being able to find anything close. My fault completely, but it wont happen again on the BRP. There were no major service station close and I did not want to pay the price of the little guy station. I finally did and got enough to get to the next major city. I did this also in the Grand Canyon. Refused to pay the price on the north rim and almost ran out before I found a cheap price. Started carrying 5 gallon can with us. Need it for generators any way.

Thanks! We love the miles to empty feature-it's really big in our TV! Good word of warning! Type of tip we need!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Yeah, well...when I tell my wife there still isn't any internet up there, she may have other plans as well.

*I* still think it was one of the prettiest parks I've ever camped at, so I thought I'd suggest it.

Lol! I go thru withdrawal when I can't access the Internet on my iPhone...can't wait to see how that goes...
Old 05-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #27

First lesson learned was that the Skyline Drive is where we start, at Front Royal, Va. It goes around 100 miles to Staunton, Va, then you get on the BRP! So far so good. Spent 2 nights at North Fork RV Resort thru Passport America for only $21, but second night, Friday, no PA but used Good Sam so only $30. The sites were very short, 30 foot so truck was awkwardly parked. They don't make "guests" feel welcome and the rules, signs and regulations were a bit overwhelming. We visited the Skyline Caverns - nice but Luray are so much more beautiful - and did two hikes in the Shenandoah National Park for a total of about 9 miles. First time back here and I was wiped out after first hike of 5.5. So went shorter next day!
We're off to Staunton to stay at the KOA for at least 2 nights and two more hikes. We've visited the town before, but never hiked there!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #28
Always Learning

Pictures! We need pictures!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #29

Phew, we did it!! Worth it, but 4 hours from time on to the KOA. Glad we started early- hope to get a good hike in! Here's pics from iPhone - good camera pics later!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399139520.328703.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	51502Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399139846.549984.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	51503
Old 05-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

So did you do the Skyline Drive ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
So did you do the Skyline Drive ??

Yes we did! Started at Front Royal at 10 am and got off in Waynesboro around 1:30. So we may now skip BRP now that we know our F150 Ecoboost Ford Lariat can handle it! Only hit one tunnel and it was short-DH couldn't figure out how to get the lights on!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #32
Jack of All Trades

We were in Asheville two weeks ago.

A section of BRP was closed north-east of Asheville (milepost 376) north-east to milepost 355. Don't know if it is open now, website says it was to reopen this spring, but what we saw it was no where done.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #33
Always Learning

This whole trip of yours is on our bucket list!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #34
Just Love to Camp

If you are ever close or need campground ideas I live 20 mins from Staunton where I was born and raised.

Glad you had a great trip. Lobe the mountains and valley ♡

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post
Started at Front Royal at 10 am and got off in Waynesboro around 1:30. So we may now skip BRP now that we know our F150 Ecoboost Ford Lariat can handle it! Only hit one tunnel and it was short-DH couldn't figure out how to get the lights on!
That is a quick trip for that drive !!

Any trouble going through the Mary's Rock Tunnel ?? What is the height of your rig ??

That could be invaluable information for members looking to do the trip in the future.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #36

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a beautiful drive, however it's a very slow, crooked road. I wouldn't begin to drive it 400+ miles in my Jaguar XK8 convertible, much less a 30' RV.

I wouldn't hesitate to get on and off it in 20 mile segments, however.

I did find the parkway southwest of Asheville, NC to be incredibly beautiful one Fall morning at daybreak watching the sunrise. But to get on top of that mountain I had to experience 20 miles of the most crooked, gut wrenching drive you've ever seen.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
That is a quick trip for that drive !!

Any trouble going through the Mary's Rock Tunnel ?? What is the height of your rig ??

That could be invaluable information for members looking to do the trip in the future.

We had no problems. The Skyline Drive only had one tunnel at 12'8". But it is slow, so we skipped the BRP! We did it in 3 legs, from front Royal to Staunton, then to Natural Bridge and had the time to spare. But the problem was a few hot dogs who felt they could drive it fast coming in the opposite direction and needing to be in our lane around the bends! Fortunately our grill scared them back in their lane. So we skipped the BRP, except for a little drive on it without towing while in Asheville.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #38

Forgot to say our rig was 11'11" at highest point.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The Blue Ridge Parkway is a beautiful drive, however it's a very slow, crooked road. I wouldn't begin to drive it 400+ miles in my Jaguar XK8 convertible, much less a 30' RV.

I wouldn't hesitate to get on and off it in 20 mile segments, however.

I did find the parkway southwest of Asheville, NC to be incredibly beautiful one Fall morning at daybreak watching the sunrise. But to get on top of that mountain I had to experience 20 miles of the most crooked, gut wrenching drive you've ever seen.

We enjoyed the Skyline Drive but did skip the BRP as noted in previous response!
Old 05-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We've done the Biltmore 3 times. WORD OF ADVICE, don't go in summer, some of the rooms are not AC'd and the one's that are, aren't very much! Last trip was the first day of Christmas decorations in early November. Well worth the price of admission! Got there at 8:00 am and left at 5:00 pm. Still didn't see everything but saw things we didn't see on the previous trips.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ridge