Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2024, 06:52 AM   #1

Blue Ridge Parkway Campground Rate Increases

Just a heads up the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and North Carolina is proposing campground rate increase this year.

Some rates could be going up $10 a night (example was $20, new would be $30) nightly.

They are asking for public comment:

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/project...ojectId=121956

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just a heads up the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and North Carolina is proposing campground rate increase this year.

Some rates could be going up $10 a night (example was $20, new would be $30) nightly.

They are asking for public comment:

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/project...ojectId=121956

Having been involved with the State and municipal agencies during my working days seeking approvals, I think it is fair to say that most public hearings are little more than a statutory requirement. They come usually after the result is a foregone conclusion (sad but true).

As to the subject at hand, around here, at a National Forest campground for a "dry" site (no on campsite amenities) you can expect to pay around 27 dollars per night and 40 dollars for a site with power. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they (NFC) are also considering an increase.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:11 AM   #3

I agree.

Just letting everyone know the National Park Service is likely to raise campground rates on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am sure they are planning on, / or have raised raised rates in other parks as well.

We just happen to live near and travel the BRP often.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:58 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I agree.

Just letting everyone know the National Park Service is likely to raise campground rates on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am sure they are planning on, / or have raised raised rates in other parks as well.

We just happen to live near and travel the BRP often.

Kind of sad I won't have time to do BRP this year. Every 5 years for the National Corvette Caravan, I hit it on way home from NJ, LOVE those curves baby! This time I have to cannonball it back to NJ so I can drag my camper down to OBX for 2 weeks right after. One day I'll actually camp down there when wife retires, instead of just melting the asphalt.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:42 PM   #5

Umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Kind of sad I won't have time to do BRP this year. Every 5 years for the National Corvette Caravan, I hit it on way home from NJ, LOVE those curves baby! This time I have to cannonball it back to NJ so I can drag my camper down to OBX for 2 weeks right after. One day I'll actually camp down there when wife retires, instead of just melting the asphalt.
Last time I was there, the speed limit was around 40 mph. What are you doing there with the 'Vette?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:30 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Last time I was there, the speed limit was around 40 mph. What are you doing there with the 'Vette?
Great thing about that car is you can do the speed limit (or 5-10 above without really garnering unwanted attention on stretches that allow for it), and STILL have a blast. I don't use the brake pedal unless it's an emergency. No slowing down for curves, just take them like a velcro snake! AND when you come across the dummy who refuses to follow etiquette and use the turnouts to let people pass, having the HP to pass quickly is a huge plus! I've run all the great roads down there from Tail of the Dragon (Deal's Gap), Cherohalah Skyway, Moonshiner 28, and others. You have a smile plastered across your face like The Joker the whole time. Man, I'm gonna miss those roads this year!!
Old 02-22-2024, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Great thing about that car is you can do the speed limit (or 5-10 above without really garnering unwanted attention on stretches that allow for it), and STILL have a blast. I don't use the brake pedal unless it's an emergency. No slowing down for curves, just take them like a velcro snake! AND when you come across the dummy who refuses to follow etiquette and use the turnouts to let people pass, having the HP to pass quickly is a huge plus! I've run all the great roads down there from Tail of the Dragon (Deal's Gap), Cherohalah Skyway, Moonshiner 28, and others. You have a smile plastered across your face like The Joker the whole time. Man, I'm gonna miss those roads this year!!
I apologize if I was ever the dummy doing the speed limit on the Parkway that interfered with your more brisk travel. In North Carolina anyway, it’s double yellow line the vast majority of the way, so I doubt you get to use your horsepower often to pass, or do you?

I love to ride all the roads you mentioned. The Parkway is my favorite (road in the eastern USA) as it so far remains the most civil and least overrun by racers.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Sounds like some interesting twisties that I should have enjoyed while I had the 2000 Miata SE.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:23 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I apologize if I was ever the dummy doing the speed limit on the Parkway that interfered with your more brisk travel. In North Carolina anyway, itís double yellow line the vast majority of the way, so I doubt you get to use your horsepower often, or do you?

I love to ride all the roads you mentioned. The Parkway is my favorite as it remains the most civil and least overrun by racers.
MOST people are courteous and use the turnouts if they realize there are people behind them that want to pass. But there's always that one that is oblivious to this. Certainly not you! There are people that clearly want to pass me sometimes, and I let them. Some people regard the whole driving experience as some big muscle flex "I'm going fast enough, nobody should pass me" road rage inducing experience. Not sure I understand that. There are people paid to enforce speed laws, I'm not going to take it upon myself to be some lone crusader.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:26 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM2109S View Post
Sounds like some interesting twisties that I should have enjoyed while I had the 2000 Miata SE.
It's never too late to get a fun car! Trust me, based on the average age of my fellow Corvette Club members! I think I am the youngest. Takes some time to be able to afford luxuries, without being financially irresponsible.

Tags
blue ridge, campground, mpg