Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
JAJ

Blue Ridge to Sylva

Anyone with experience driving that stretch in NC? Planning on fishing that area and we are somewhat apprehensive about driving a Tacoma and a 19 ft ultra lite through mountains and steep grades
JAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #2

are you referring to BLUE RIDGE Georgia to SYLVA North Carolina? or driving the Blue Ridge PARKWAY?

Blue Ridge Georgia, on Highway 575/515/76 from Atlanta, is a very easy drive.
From Blue Ridge to HIAWASSEE Georgia on 515/76 is where you would turn north on Hwy 69 to Hayesville NC.
Hayesville NC on US64 goes all the way to SYLVA thru Franklin NC, and beautiful.

The mountain between Hayesville and Franklin are fairly steep grades, but motorhomes and truck/trailers do it everyday. There's even a campground at the top of the mountain called 'Standing Indian Campground', right off the Appalachian trail.
Traversing down the other side of the mountain requires a lot of brakes, or exhaust brakes for a motorhome, but the viewing areas are a great place to take a 'break', and you'll not regret it. Even Franklin has a downtown RV park... the town is a great place.

From Franklin the route on US64 is also steep, but you'll have no problem to SYLVA, which is also at the bottom of the other side. Dillsboro and Sylva are both small towns to take some time in. Dillsboro is the eastern stop to the TRAIN that you can take between Bryson City NC and Dillsboro for a very scenic 'Smokey Mountain' trip, even in an open car, if you wish.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #3

I drove my Frontier and Casita 17’ the entire length of SD and BRP two years ago. No problems. One thing to watch is the pull offs. Some are marked no RVs. I only pulled off when I could see both entrance and exit.

Tags
blue ridge