Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Boston area: Full Service camping

One of our daughters is having surgery end of April at Brigham & Women's Hospital (near Harvard Medical School).
She'll be recovering there about 2 weeks if everything goes well (brain tumor) and we'd like to be somewhere close and are now wondering if bringing our camper is feasible. Not just for us, but for her husband and possibly son as well.

Any suggestions of campgrounds (full service), concerns with commuting into Boston metro area, etc. very much appreciated. Thank you.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #2

I would google RV PARK Reviews and log onto that site. You can than search for campgrounds around Boston an see what other campers have written on the reviews of them. I use RV Park reviews all of the time to check out campgrounds.
Just a suggestion!
Old 03-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #3

Jim,
Thanks for the referral to RV Park Reviews. Doesn't appear there is anything much closer than an hour drive from the hospital. I'll keep looking, but appears we'll end up in motels.
Lar & Ruth
Old 03-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
Wait till next year...

Tho I haven't stayed at these , they are generally recommended for stays near Boston. Boston Minuteman Campground in Littleton, Circle CG Farm Campground in Bellington, and Normandy Farms Campground in Foxboro, all are about aan hour out of Boston by car. As a life long Mass resident it would be better to take the MBTA into Boston especially during morning or evening rush hour. Check out the MBTA website for more info on trains and subway.Parking in Boston can be another problem with bringing a car into the city.Our prayers will be with you and your daughter.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #5

Thank you very much for the advice and your thoughts!
Old 03-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
Tho I haven't stayed at these , they are generally recommended for stays near Boston. Boston Minuteman Campground in Littleton, Circle CG Farm Campground in Bellington, and Normandy Farms Campground in Foxboro, all are about aan hour out of Boston by car. As a life long Mass resident it would be better to take the MBTA into Boston especially during morning or evening rush hour. Check out the MBTA website for more info on trains and subway.Parking in Boston can be another problem with bringing a car into the city.Our prayers will be with you and your daughter.
Normandy Farms is a top notch park with full amenities.
jayandmarji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #7

We stayed at pinewood lodge Campground last year. It’s in Plymouth. We bought a weeks pass for the Subway to Boston. Well worth it. We never used a transit system before and it was very easy to figure out. The subway station was a 10-15 min drive from the campground.
Raskw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #8

Have camped at both Boston Minuteman in Littleton and KOA in Middleboro. The Littleton campground is less than a 5 minute drive to the commuter rail station that ends at North Station in Boston . From there you can easily access the MBTA for travel to Brigham & Women's. I understand the KOA is a 15 minute drive to rail into Boston, but I think that goes to South Station.
Good luck.
camperdavea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

We stayed at Boston Minutemen Rv park and took Uber in everyday and it worked out great, I heard driving in Boston is a pain and so is perking. Good luck on the surgery, our son went thru that 12 years ago and thank God he is ok.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #10

Consider Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA . . . one of the best campgrounds in the country. Connected towns Mansfield and Norfolk both have commuter rail service to Boston. www.normandyfarms.com
Old 03-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
One of our daughters is having surgery end of April at Brigham & Women's Hospital (near Harvard Medical School).
She'll be recovering there about 2 weeks if everything goes well (brain tumor) and we'd like to be somewhere close and are now wondering if bringing our camper is feasible. Not just for us, but for her husband and possibly son as well.

Any suggestions of campgrounds (full service), concerns with commuting into Boston metro area, etc. very much appreciated. Thank you.

FYI - I live in Massachusetts, south of Boston and have been to campgrounds west, north, and south.
There are no campgrounds in Boston itself only outside the city and most as others have stated are approximately an hour or so drive to the Boston hospital.

If you have been to KOA campgrounds, there is one in Middleboro Massachusetts call Boston / Cape Cod KOA Holiday.

See website at - https://koa.com/campgrounds/boston/

Best Bet & Alternate is to try the online campground directory at Camp Mass
Website at - https://www.campmass.com/

Good Luck
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #12

Have you ever thought about a Ronald McDonald house or similar. Much cheaper than hotels? I would think there’s something in city of Boston
Tonawanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #13
Director, FROG

We did a FROG rally at Normandy Farms a couple of years ago. It's a beautiful facility, and the staff there could not possibly have been nicer to us. I highly recommended it.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #14

Thanks, everyone for the thoughtful replies!! We'll be checking out the recommended campgrounds as well as looking at hotel options. I've printed out the MBTA map. We love Boston and the people, but its been a few years so have some studying to do.
Re. the McDonalds suggestion, its for parents of patient under 21. Our daughter just turned 41. Worst part of this turning older is not our health issues, but seeing stuff happen to our 3 kids and now grandkids. Considered fortunate all live within 20 minutes of us. Bless all of you.
Lar & Ruth
Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #15

I stayed at the KOA in middleboro, it’s very easy to get too and it’s not that far from Boston . It has full hookups with tv and reasonable rates. We stay there when we go to Salem on Halloween
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, service