Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2023, 08:02 PM   #1

Campground near DC

Awhile back I thought I saw a campground someone stayed at near Washington DC that had a train station you could walk to, to take into the city. I’ve googled it and can’t find one that mentions a train station nearby. One has a bus, but doesn’t start running till April and we were looking to go the end of March. Any help appreciated. Thanks
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 09:10 PM   #2

Cherry Hill is the one with the bus stop. The bus goes to the train station. The train stations all have plenty of parking so the bus is not a necessity if you have something to drive while you are there.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 09:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Cherry Hill is the one with the bus stop. The bus goes to the train station. The train stations all have plenty of parking so the bus is not a necessity if you have something to drive while you are there.

Thanks. Yeah, cherry hill is the one I was looking at. Was hoping to leave my CRV at home if we could just walk to the train station from one of them, but will bring it if I have to. It’s possible I’m remembering it wrong, but could have sworn someone said there was a stain within walking distance. I thought it was in Virginia, not Maryland.
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol108 View Post
Thanks. Yeah, cherry hill is the one I was looking at. Was hoping to leave my CRV at home if we could just walk to the train station from one of them, but will bring it if I have to. It’s possible I’m remembering it wrong, but could have sworn someone said there was a stain within walking distance. I thought it was in Virginia, not Maryland.

We have also stayed at Bull Run Regional park, which is a nice campground in VA but it is not near the trains, you have to drive to Fairfax to catch the train if i remember correctly (it’s been several years ago).
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:09 AM   #5

There is Greenbelt Campground - but it is primative (no hookups) and the max RV length is 35 feet.
it should be really close to the Greenbelt station - not really sure if within walking. it is open year round
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:47 AM   #6
KSH

Cherry hill was great, they have buses that take you to the subway. But the lady there suggested we just drive to the subway at the college about 10 minutes away since the buses don't come often.
We enjoyed our stay, last summer they even delivered food to the campsite.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:33 AM   #7

Some campgrounds near Metro stations around Washington DC

Cherry Hill Campground ( MD )-----> 2-3 miles from Greenbelt Metro Station

Greenbelt Park Campground ( MD ) -------> 2-3 miles from College Park Metro Station

Pohick Bay Regional Park ( VA ) -------> 12 miles from Franconia-Springfield Metro Station

Little Bennett Regional Park ( MD )--------> 14 miles from Shady Grove Metro Station ( via I270 )

Bull Run Regional Park ( VA ) --------> 15 miles from Vienna Metro Station ( via I66 )

Washington DC KOA ( MD ) ---------> 18 miles from New Carollton Metro Station

Cherry hill is the closest and probably has the most amenities. The regional parks are nice, but further out and fewer amenities, but are closer to Civil War sites and other attractions. Washington DC KOA is great if you wish to visit both DC and Annapolis MD.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:05 PM   #8

We stayed at Cherry Hill and it was great. The bus and train ride to DC is the way to go.
Tazman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:37 PM   #9
KSH

I was between the koa and cherry hill. The reviews swayed my decision not to go to that koa. Make sure you always check the review's.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg