Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Cape Cod and P Town

Hey Guys, DW and I will be heading up to Cape Cod and vicinity this July and we're looking for campground suggestions that are centrally located so we don't have to drive all over to see all that there is to see, right up to P. Town, or as I have been told "Key West" of the north. So far we zeroed in on Sweetwater Forest in Brewster and Atlantic Oaks in I think Edgewood, errr something like that! We've been using campgroundreviews.com as our resource to get us into the area. Any tips passed on would be appreciated, Thanks!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #2

Hello Sherman.

When I travel to the cape, I like to stay at BayView Campgrounds in Bourne. It is close to the canal and allows you to jump off to the mainland to see other sights. You can of course drive to P-town when you want to visit that.

I used to camp at a place called Dunes Edge right outside P town but you may find it tight depending on your rig. You might be too big.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #3

It will all depend on how long you will be here and what you really want to see. If only spending a couple days sightseeing ON CAPE, you might want to consider staying on the mainland side. If you are planning on going OFF CAPE more, staying on mainland side better than trying to drive over the either bridge on a daily basis.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Our thoughts were to stay somewhere mid-cape for four or five days with a mix of sit and relax and putter around to what there is to see too. Wife has been there, I have no idea.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #5

Cape

We stayed for a week at Adventure Bound in North Truro last September and enjoyed it. Very close to P town and national park beaches,fishing etc. It seemed like a little older park and as such the roads were a little tight (had no problem manuvering with my 21 ft TT)

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #6

Looks like we are going to book Sweetwater Forest in Brewster. Liked Atlantic Oaks but they have a very strict rule on no campfires after 11pm. Some reviews on RVParkReviews tell of staff going around the campground at 10pm and dousing fires with buckets of water. Often DW and I will be touring around an area we are camping in and not get back to the campsite until 8pm or later. That means a late snack or meal around the fire and perhaps a bottle of wine.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
k

abc camp grounds in north Truro is a short ride to PTown and hearing cove. At herring cove You can park Your vehicle right up to the beach. The campground has no frills for kids,clean restrooms and showers,laundry. Staff are very friendly. Have fun and safe camping.
1 Springer Spaniel (5)
2013 ford edge toad
1 patient Bride
raysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Cape

We have enjoyed staying at Sweetwater. It is away from the crowd but only a short ride in most directions to find the crowd. Rt 6A is a great drive on a weekday. There are 2 State parks on the Cape both nice but no hookups.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #9

We stayed at Sweetwater last summer and although we loved the location it was a little tight for our 38 foot Class A. If possible, request one of the pull-through sites that are next to the mini-golf (behind the office). These were the only sites we could comfortably fit into and ours was perfect. The only major problem was we hooked up our Jeep at the site but then couldn't get out due to a tight turn exiting the section we were in! Had to drop it again! Very nice staff and Brewster is a great little town. Don't miss the Ice Cream next to the Brewster General store.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #10

Looked back at the Sweetwater sitemap. We were in the orange site behind the picture of the golfer (mini-golf).
Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #11

Adventure bound in truro . Great. Atlantic oaks. Great! Love them both. Just an fyi, very few places on the cape allow fires, so check first

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #12

Those are two great campgrounds. Haven't really found a bad one on the cape. Sweetwater has a lot of amenities. Its on one of the cape's famous "kettle" ponds. They have a kennel and we had a very old black lab. We didn't want to leave her in the camper so we would use the kennel. The kennel closed at 9:00 and on July 4th we told them we'd be out late to see the fireworks. They said "no problem: and brought her back to our site and put her in the camper for us so we could stay out late. Staying mid-cape is a great idea. Allows for site seeing throughout the cape. Beaches on the bay side require town parking permits before 5:00 pm. The National Seashore (Atlantic coast) offers single day, week long and season permits (also beech passes for 4 wheel drive too). The National Seashore pass allows you to use any of the the National Seashore beaches. Brewster is pretty much the end of campfires. I don't know what your rig is but Adventure Bound is the last campground that take full size rigs before you reach the end of the cape. The rest are popups and tent campgrounds.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #13

Stayed at Atlantic Oaks two years back for 10 days... rail trail directly behind CG... centrally located in Orleans. Be sure to stop by Elks Lodge for fish fry while there.
Sites are nice, most pull through... great laundry facilities and consistent power and water... couple of nice lakes within bike distance.

We took advantage of free parking at national seashore after 4... did nice lunch out and light dinner in after the beach...

Also.. if you are 4x4 equipt... be sure to check requirements for ORV permit on NPS beaches up to P-town... good time

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #14

I checked Sweetwater's website and I would assume campfires are permitted because each site has a fire ring. Also read through their rules and regs. and didn't see any mention of campfire restrictions. We considered Adventure Bound in Truro but I think they were bought out by a conglomerate and I find their pricing to be higher than independent owned/family CG's. Love hearing all of the great advice about campgrounds and places to visit during our stay. Keep them coming because with the minus degree weather we have been having in Western New York my DW and I need to think "camping, soon!" to get us through. We read the response posts after work together at the kitchen peninsula and a bottle of wine! Thanks for all responses.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #15

We stayed at Sweetwater last summer. It's a nice campground. I can't remember what site # we had. But it was a nice large site for my 38' 5th wheel. It was right near the office, and across from the rec. room. They had one section that was all seasonal. Most of the campground seamed to be off limits for big rigs. Small travel trailers, popups, and tents in a lot of the sites. I booked in January last year for the 2nd week of July and they told me they had only 1 site that would accommodate my size rig.
Soxfan1957 is offline   Reply With Quote