Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Chased Irene up the coast------------

We chased Irene up the coast starting Saturday the 27Th. got as far as Lumberton, NC, Had to stop Saturday eve because the wind gust was causing "Rocky" (8285WS) to swap lanes on I-95 with each gust. early Sun morning was underway north on I-95 as far as Richmond to learn we was in trouble trying to get gas. Seems there was no power all the way up to DC. Lucky me, found a distributor that had a generator pumping gas, Got in line for 1 1/2 hour for a fill up. Continued to HWY 17, then on to I-66 over to I-81, no problem getting gas from then on. Just be aware of the high price of gas and diesel in West Virginia. Whew, Sky high. gas up in Virginia or wait until you get to Maryland on I-81. Made it to Milford, Pa on the Delaware water Gap. Found the road was flooded in the park, had to turn around, back track 10 miles to a road 420 to cross the Poconos to I-84. Spent the night at the Milford Camp Ground. left early Tues for Maine, (make sure you gas up before Conn. They will get your bank account @ $5.00 per gallon for 87 Octane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, highway robbery. Made six states from 8AM to 4:30PM, finally stopping at KOA at Freeport Maine. The weather is great here. Passed from PA, NY, CONN,MA,NH,ME, Was stopped for a turned over dump truck on I-85 for two hours just east of Danbury, Conn for 2 hours.

all went pretty well except the nice table that came with "Rocky" is coming apart, literally from some of the rough roads. The screws just do not hold, neither does the "gorilla" glue I used before leaving home (Jax, FL). Oh well, another project!!!!!!.

the nice mod on the stove (electronic spark module) was a winner with the wife, she says it is fantastic for a great improvement.

Until later.

Sid AKA- Daisy Boykin-------On the road!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #2

You shouldn't complain about the price of gas until you reach Canada. Fill up in Maine before crossing the border. BTW, Canadian customs will charge $1-2 per oz. over your 40oz limit on booze. A good weather forecast for the remainder of the week in Atlantic Canada.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #3

Wow, it sounds like a true adventure. I saw you mention the gorilla glue not working for you. Try Goop glue. It is the strongest I've seen yet. I'm not sure of the outlets that sell it, but I picked it up at Lowe's home improvement store. It comes in a blue tube.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

Thanks Sid for the updates. We are headed that way on Sept the 5th if Katia stays in the Atlantic. Otherwise we are going to modify our trip to the west some what.

Patrick
PatrickCrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

Sitting in Pine Hills Rv park ------------

Patrick, all is well in Bar Harbor, Spent three days there at the Encore Resort just before you cross over to Bar Harbor. plenty of lobsters left, tried to eat em all up, but was just unable to. lobsters were $3.29 a LB for soft shell. Bought a sack full of the hard shell, huuuuummmmm good!!!!! Did Seal Harbor,
Acadia NP, Cadilliac Mtn and all the other places you care to go to.

Patrick, bring plenty of "OFF", I now know what the national bird of Maine is.
Texas has nothing on Maine's national bird, the MOSQUITO!!!!!!!!!!!! There are plenty to go around. Patrick, I left plenty for you!

Terry, it was a breeze at the customs. They ask about booze, My ans was 750ML of rum, 10 can of beer, one bottle of wine. That was it?? Ask how many dogs and was it vaccinated. No problem!

Will be here on PEI until the 9th and back to Nova Scotia, don't know where yet.

Met two of the real Forest River forum people, "JEN" & her husband who was on their maiden trip with their new Rockwood. they were from Moncton, NB. great people & a small world. Met them at a one night stay
at the RV park "Loch Lomond" just inside Amherst, Nova Scotia. Being a Rockwood owner becomes smaller world every day!
Thanks for the chat "JEN".

Until Later
Sid And the Gang, D/W and HRH Daisy.
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #6

How are you enjoying Pine Hills RV park. It's been a few years, but we stayed there also. Good location. If you plan to spend some time in Nova Scotia< we will be staying at Smileys Provincial Park, just north of Windsor. I stopped by there last week while out touring on motorcycle and booked this weekend. Looks like a beautiful campground with big sites. No services, only a dump station. You still have my cell?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 09-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #7

Raining this morning-----------------

Raining this morning, but no soap in the water! (old navy joke).Terry, No hook up, my D/W would never survive without full hook ups, well maybe just water & Ele for a couple of days she would. We will do driving today for sight seeing while it rains. Tomorrow will do our walking for Charlottetown.

Crossed the BIG bridge with 25-35 MPH tail wind. Sort of scary with the big land whale behind you. Must have been thousands of RV's leaving PEI after the holiday weekend. It was a continuous line of RV's !! (unbelievable) I do believe everyone in Canada owns a RV .

The land and roads are very clean here, grass is super green. What a beautiful country. All the homes are very neat with flowers in the yards.
We noticed the absence of bill boards, (none, zilch, not at all, must be the firing squad if you are caught putting one up)

Patrick, don't let a little rain ruin your trip, like I said there is no soap in the water. LOL,LOL. Come on up, you will enjoy the cool temps. lots to do.

We

Sid & the Gang, D/W and HRH Daisy
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
JEN

Sid, glad to hear hear your trip is going well... it was nice chatting with you too. Keep us updated with how things are going

2005 Ford F150 Lariat V8 5.4L
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
JEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #9

Still enjoying our close northern friends---------

Had rain today until about 2PM, but it did not stop us from sight seeing the good island of PEI. Took in a lot of places, bought local baked bread and cookies, ummm great. You can tell the summer is over with here on PEI. A lot of places are gearing down for the winter. Bought some groceries today at a local Sobey's, they took my bank account away from me at check out. Wow, we are spoiled with the prices in the states. But most everything is local from Canada that is sold in the store. you do not have much of a choice for competition An example, a rotisserie chicken in Florida is $4.99, here it is $9.99. So, we don't eat chicken today!!

We did help the economy in other ways. Have to gas up you know.

Thanks JEN for being my friend, I have logged you in.

Until later, still having a great time.

Sid & the gang, D/W and HRH Daisy
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #10

Sid,

Sounds great. We are on our way. Pulled the mountains from Charlotte, NC to Wytheville, Va yesterday in a driving rain. Couldn't see 100ft. We are at the Walnut Hills KOA in Stanton, Va. A very nice campground; full hook ups, very well maintained. We have been on the road 3 days and have seen nothing but rain. I don't even remember what the sun looks like. One thing is for sure our, Rockwood (PJ's Park and Play..PP for short) does not leak. Here for a couple of days to see the Shenandoah Valley and visit the Our Lady of the Angels Monastery, in Crozet, Va, where we have purchased cheese by mail. We are hand carrying our order this year. Thought we would save the .44 stamp and deliver it ourselves.

See You in Maine, maybe.

Patrick, Julia and Cossette (a spoilled rotten Bishon)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #11

Sid,

How about your best choice in the Bar Harbor area to get lobster. Like, where the locals would go. Recommendations please. We are going to the west side of the island and staying at Smuggler's Den.

Rain finally stopped here and we enjoyed touring the Shenandoah Valley yesterday. Beautiful area.

Patrick
Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #12

Trenton Me

Trenton, ME on RT 3 is the place for lobsters just before you cross the bridge onto MT Desert Where Bar Harbor is located. It is located on the left at a lobster pound, Down East Lobster Co. They were $3.69 per LB for the soft shell. We purchased six 1 1/2 lb to go already steamed, supplied our own butter and beer. Six hard shell were $88.06, couldn't eat them all, shelled the rest for the freezer. Do not get the soft shell, the claw is full of water, get the hard shell!

Raining here on PEI today, suppose to clear up this afternoon. Will move to Nova Scotia tomorrow.
Make sure you gas up before West Va & CONN. The price of gas is around $5.00 per gal.

Enjoying life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of LOBSTERS 007.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	7892  
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 09-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #13

Moved From PEI to-----------

Moved from PEI to just south of Truro, NS to Hilden, NS on Friday, CG "Scotia Pine" is nice and filled up pretty quick for the weekend. Have been meeting a lot of friendly people.

Sort of cool here this Saturday morning, At 45° Caused the great heat system in "ROCKY" to "GET ER DONE". But tomorrow the temp is suppose to be slightly warmer. It is a relief from the southern heat in Florida. We did bring warm clothes just in case!

Will be here for four days, for the Bay of Fundy, Halifax & anything else we find to do.

Patrick Crotty, did you make it to your destination? Hope you got your sack of lobsters. HUUUUUMMMMM, good.

The "Rockwood" product seems to be performing pretty good, I see a lot of "Rockwood" RV's along the way.

By the way Diesel is the same price as gasoline. Most places the price is
$1.23.1, sometime diesel is even cheaper than gas. A lot of the gas does not have alcohol added makes good for the engine HP.

Until later

Sid, D/W & HRH, Daisy
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 09-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #14

Sid,

In Balitmore today and leaving on Sunday for Conn. for two days then on to Maine and lobster!

Patrick
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #15

By the time you get ----------

Buy the time you get to Bar Harbor, you will need your snow boots! It is 36° here in Truro, Nova Scotia this Sunday morning. Will be here another 4-5 days. Spent yesterday at Lunenberg, Chester, NS. Very nice and old villages. A lot of history. Doing the Bay of Fundy today, Wine country of NS on the northern side of NS.

No super Wal-Marts here, They have not been able to get their foot in the door YET! But I understand it is coming. Having a great time here, so much to see and do. Will have to return again next year, D/W is already making plans!

Patrick, what are you Pulling or driveing? class A, B, C-TT or 5VER

Until Later

Sid, D/W & HRH daisy
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #16

Sid great trip report. Really does sound like a great adventure.
The only question I have is are you really pulling your 8285WS with your 2005 F-150? What engine do you have?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #17

You should have pushed a little further to Smiley Provincial Park near Windsor, NS. As I said before, no services, but its the nicest campground I ever stayed in. Huge campsites, clean, uncrowded and beautiful scenery. Just home from 2 nights. We should have met and had a brewsky or two.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 09-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Buy the time you get to Bar Harbor, you will need your snow boots! It is 36° here in Truro, Nova Scotia this Sunday morning. Will be here another 4-5 days. Spent yesterday at Lunenberg, Chester, NS. Very nice and old villages. A lot of history. Doing the Bay of Fundy today, Wine country of NS on the northern side of NS.

No super Wal-Marts here, They have not been able to get their foot in the door YET! But I understand it is coming. Having a great time here, so much to see and do. Will have to return again next year, D/W is already making plans!

Patrick, what are you Pulling or driveing? class A, B, C-TT or 5VER

Until Later

Sid, D/W & HRH daisy
You are in our part of the world now.We live in a small place near Burntcoat Head on the Bay of Fundy.We were away to Keji National Park over the weekend and had a great time canoeing,biking and just touring the park.If you get a chance before you go home the park is a great place to visit,and yes it was quite cool last night,but warmed up wonderfully today.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #19

Seems like we missed Terry & Malco while--------

Must have missed Terry and Malco when we blinked? WOW, Can't believe we came so close, but missed you both? We were in Windsor, Canning, Wolfville yesterday (Sun). Bought corn, potatoes near Windsor, wine at the wine vineyard Blomidom. Sorry, we missed all. Today we are supposed to visit Peggy's Cove. Tomorrow, we will move near St John's, NB. Beginning to work our way back to the US. Hope we do not run into the rain that is flooding the new England area.

Beautiful country the Canadians have. It is a part of the world that calls for everyone to visit. Plenty of campgrounds for all. Just about every turn and exit there is a nice RV park.

Iggy, I have it all under control with the f-150, I come to a hill, D/W gets out & pushes, Daisy hangs her head out the window, barks for encouragement. You would be right at home here, diesel is cheaper than gas!!!! But gas is right at $5.00 per gal. Ran into a RV owner just three spaces up from me that bought his RV from RV wholesalers in Ohio. Just like a big family of Forest River owners.

Until Later

Sid, D/W & HRH Daisy
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 09-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #20

Peggy's Cove is-------------

Peggy's Cove is unbelievable, It is a work of God. I have been all over the world (24 yrs in Navy) and nothing compares with what the 2 mile thick glacier did to the granite. Just a work of nature that has no comparison. Left Hilden Monday early, drove as far as Ellsworth, ME before stopping. No problem crossing the border, customs ask if We had anything to declare. I told them, only I spent all my $$ that is all I can declare. Seriously, We had a great time while in Canada, beautiful country and very friendly people. Made new friends every we went. We are in Rockport,Maine, will be here for three days before moving on down the coast of Maine.

Overall, The 8285WS has performed great (knocking on wood). My plug-in for the hot water tank keeps unplugging itself on the rough roads, Ummmm, a tye wrap will cure that. Filled up my 30LB propane tank today, have been using it to heat water when showering along with the ele so we will not run out of hot water. used the furnace three nights, along with cooking and running the fridge while on the road. it is the original fill from RVWholesalers in Jan of 2011. $22.00 for a fill up not bad. Had to turn the AC on when we set up for the night here at Rockport, temp was a balmy 76°. Wife loves the mod I made to to the stove by installing the electronic module for the top burners

Saw the huge bridge in Bucksport, ME with the observation tower in one tower. What man can create is something else. For $5.00 you can ride the elevator to the top for a view.

We will be looking at the sights in Camden,ME tomorrow. Opps, just noticed my laptop is on Atlantic time (corrected)!

Has been a great time since we left Florida Aug 27Th, D/W just informed me we have to be back home before the 26Th of Sept. Some appointment
she has to keep???????? I was hoping maybe i could see the first snow flakes (YEH, RIGHT, JUST KEEP DREAMING SID).

Hey Iggy, the F-150 is still slugging it out, still "GET ER DONE" pretty smartly from gas up to gas up!

Until Later

Sid, D/W & HRH Daisy
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]