Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #1

Cheap lobster/seafood in NE

Planning part of a road trip in New England and we’re thinking about cape cod, Martha’s Vineyard areas. However, after chatting with some friends, it seems these are crowded, overpriced areas with heavy traffic. I was told Maine or New Hampshire would be better for what we want, but none of these people know anything about camping.

Our only reason to go to New England is to gorge on great, cheap lobster, clams and seafood, so we need a better plan. Where is a good campground in New England close to hole in the wall seafood restaurants that serve great, cheap seafood and lobster?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:50 AM   #2

We have been several times to Maine and partook in the consuming of many, many pounds of lobster.

Our favorite is Old Orchard Beach in southern Maine and we stay at Ne're Family Campground. It's very minimal, but has FHU. The best thing about it is that the entrance is just across the street from the lobster pound. It took about 5 minutes to walk down and 5 minutes to get back with our fully cooked lobster each evening. Well, some evenings, it was several lobsters. You can purchase them alive or they will steam them for you. It was less than $40 for 4 good size lobsters. After about the 4th day, my kids were wanting burgers from McD's because they had eaten so much lobster.

Ne're is about 1/2 of the cost of some of the "resorts" there in OOB. It is basically a grassy lot with services at the back on the fence. It did have a small pool and it did have an older bath house, which was clean. We didn't really want, nor need many of the amenities in the resorts. We were there to eat lobster, tour the area and go to the beach.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #3

x2 for Old Orchard Beach. We were there back in 1975 and ate 1.25# lobsters for $4.00 each. Can't remember the cg name.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

We have stayed at the KOA there. Pricey but a nice park. Best lobster dinner place? Rising Tide. It is at the end of the road on the water. Small place, perhaps 15 tables. Go early or plan on a wait. We get there by 5:00.
Now the best kept secret is out!!!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Boothbay Harbor, Maine. Best lobster roll: Dunton's Doghouse. It just a simple roadside trailer with picnic tables, but you will get the most delicious overstuffed lobster roll for the best price around. For dining on the water, another simple but best bang for the buck place used to be called the lobsterman's co-op. I think it's called lobsterman's wharf now. Lobsters are practically fresh off the boat.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Our only reason to go to New England is to gorge on great, cheap lobster, clams and seafood, so we need a better plan.
I wanna be like you when I grow up!
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #7

I always thought that "Cheap Lobster" was an oxymoron.

Last lobster I ate was at the Rosewood Grill in Las Vegas and it sure wasn't cheap (although I was the guest of a Factory Rep and he picked up the bill )

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I always thought that "Cheap Lobster" was an oxymoron.

Last lobster I ate was at the Rosewood Grill in Las Vegas and it sure wasn't cheap (although I was the guest of a Factory Rep and he picked up the bill )
We just took a vacation out to the east coast last year. We were in Baltimore at one point hoping to find the "cheap lobster" we'd always heard about but it wasn't any cheaper than we could get it at home in Illinois.

We also found it odd that their definition of "surf and turf" typically included crab or shrimp. For us, surf and turf = steak and lobster.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #9

You cannot use the words "cheap" and "lobster" in the same sentence.
You want cheap, go to Long John Silvers.
You want lobster, be prepared to pay. We were in Bar Harbor, and the Maine coast last Sept. Cheapest you will find is to buy your own, take it back to your campgroung and cook em yourself. Manu at the campground did that, bringing large outdoor gas cookers with huge pots.
Eat at a resteraunt, be prepared to pay. Even the lobster dinners searved at the campground nightly were around $22.00. Lobster, corn, potatoe, you supply your own drink. Simple lobster roll with chips at a roadside stand will run $15.00. Full dinner at a restraunt in Bar Harbor will run you $30-$35 bucks more if it's a nicer restraunt.
Best we had was at Beal's Lobster Pier, in Southwest Harbor on Acadia Island. Lobster, fresh off the boat, right into resteraunt, into pot at time of order. Cheap...no. Good...oh yeah.
No such thing as "cheap lobster"!!!
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Hello from a Canadian Lobster consideration........

Once again, for those that don’t know, your American dollar gets you 30% more to your advantage when buying/spending/shopping in Canada. I’m talking about the exchange rate.

Canadian Maritime seafood finds are everywhere, you just need to do some digging.

Here’s one not too far across the border in Alma New Brunswick, right beside Fundy National Park. A terrific campground to use as basecamp for some super sightseeing and dining.

https://www.google.com/search?q=best...19501000641865

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We just took a vacation out to the east coast last year. We were in Baltimore but it wasn't any cheaper than we could get it at home in Illinois.

We also found it odd that their definition of "surf and turf" typically included crab or shrimp. For us, surf and turf = steak and lobster.

Maryland is all about their crabs. Have to go farther north for the “labsta”.
cstrunk5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #12

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Hello from a Canadian Lobster consideration........

Once again, for those that don’t know, your American dollar gets you 30% more to your advantage when buying/spending/shopping in Canada. I’m talking about the exchange rate.

Canadian Maritime seafood finds are everywhere, you just need to do some digging.

Here’s one not too far across the border in Alma New Brunswick, right beside Fundy National Park. A terrific campground to use as basecamp for some super sightseeing and dining.

https://www.google.com/search?q=best...19501000641865
We're in the process of planning a trip to Newfoundland in July and planning to eat our weight in lobster and seafood! Unfortunately, we're not camping on this trip. We'll be staying part of the time in St. John's and part of the time in Twillingate. I imagine lots of seafood places there. Any recommendations that you're aware of ?
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #13

[QUOTE=kenandterry;2028166]Hello from a Canadian Lobster consideration........

X2 We went there last year and had some great lobster at a reasonable price
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

It does not take a rocket scientist to realize the best lobster prices will be at or near where the lobstermen dock. Anywhere on the coast of Maine will be better than anywhere further south, including Mass, Conn, NY and Jersey) and will be good. We particularly like Bar Harbor (Acadia NP)and nearby towns
Old 02-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #15

Since lobsters have been moving to colder waters, Maine is probably the southern extent to where you'll find them plentiful (& therefore, cheap).

The guy who posted "30% cheaper in Canada" might be on to something, since they should be getting more plentiful up there.

Bookmarking this page for summer, when I'll be in the area.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #16

Stay away from the Cape, Martha's, well MA in general. Depending on the season it can all get pricey along that stretch of coast northward. NH and ME offer good value and if you don't have to be coddled and stroked the best lobster are in the places near the water with less overhead and less tourist. But fuel and pay for fishing boats is set and expensive for operators.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #17

I live in Massachusetts and keep wishing the same thing, good and cheap. No matter where I go in this Country of ours, every place has their special, talked about food. Keep away from high tourist traps. Ask the locals, they will treat you right. My suggestion, get on Route one in Massachusetts and go North. Plenty of campgrounds ,Seafood restaurants and people to ask.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #18

The wife & I stayed at the Red Apple Campground in Kennebunkport Maine a couple of years ago. We were there for a week with a pull thru site and full hook up,

The campground offered lobster, cooked on site and delivered to your site.
All we had to do was put our order in advance, let them know how many lobsters we wanted, and the time to deliver them. I can't remember if we pre-paid or not.

We might have paid a little more for that convicenence, but it was well worth it. Sit back and enjoy.

Look up Red Apple Campground in Maine for details.

Enjoy!
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #19

Love the Cape but....

Well, being a true Cape Codder, and most of the time, very grateful to have grown up here, spring and fall is STILL the nicest times to be here.
Yes, crowded in the summer and not getting any better, July 4th is usually a zoo. When Obama's on the Vineyard vacationing, it can be a little tough getting back and forth on the ferry. Falmouth Road Race weekend in August, again, it's tough to get around the Upper Cape.
And there's only 2 ways to drive off this "rock" which can be a little time consuming by itself. And still amazes me how the price of seafood, etc increases as it comes over those 2 bridges, even if it's local!
Of course this is only one "local" grouchy old mans opinion but keep in mind after I retired from a great career as a Firefighter/EMT here, we've kept our camper on Aquidneck Island in Rhode Island for the summers, seafood more reasonable, beaches not as crowded, leave the Cape Fridays, come back Tuesdays. Best of both worlds, boom!
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
ronzo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #20

No disrespect intended to the town folk of Mass. I totally agree that anywhere you go leave the guidebooks at the welcome stand and remember anyone can advertise good or bad.
Outside of the city in smaller towns off the interstate ask the locals. I know ya'll don't stop at a Wal-Mart in every state, but it does happen! Strike up some talk with a local and ask them. Most everywhere people are more than happy to tell you about their restaurants, dives and places of interest. We have found some of the best food and fair priced food at places you might not see or even consider if you did see it.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote