Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #1

Chesapeake Bay Bridge and other questions

Ok, so I'm planning my trip from MA to Orlando in February and looking to stop in DE. Good Sam trip planning has me crossing the Chesapeake Bak Bridge. Anyone have any experience with this in a motorhome in February? My research tells me that they close the bridge under certain wind conditions,but I'm not sure how it is if February. Also, any advice in the NYC area would be helpful as well. I think the George Washington Bridge has RV restrictions. Not sure where else to go.
brianodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Always Learning

It can happen, but it's generally obvious when they do (think- it was a dark and stormy night ). If they do, you'll have to either delay or backtrack up to I-95 and come across the Delaware Memorial Bridge.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianodon View Post
Ok, so I'm planning my trip from MA to Orlando in February and looking to stop in DE. Good Sam trip planning has me crossing the Chesapeake Bak Bridge. Anyone have any experience with this in a motorhome in February? My research tells me that they close the bridge under certain wind conditions,but I'm not sure how it is if February. Also, any advice in the NYC area would be helpful as well. I think the George Washington Bridge has RV restrictions. Not sure where else to go.
The only closure of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge I can recall was in 64 or 65 when the bridge was struck in its mono span by a ship and wiped out the southbound lane. Since they built a parallel span so even if one is damaged the two lanes of the remaining route can handle traffic both ways. They may restrict certain unstable vehicles in very high winds but I've never heard of it closing. Theres really no alternative once you've committed to it, its a very long way back to cross over to the mainland and back down. Just call the bridge admin in advance and see how they require bottled propane vs fixed tanks. Baltimore's tunnels will not allow it at any time. I'd suggest using the New York Thruway (west of the city) to the GS Parkway south. Much more civilized when driving something large. I've lived in PA and NJ most of my days. Traveled both ways numerous times.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #4

A less nerve-wracking option might be to take I-84 across CT, NY, and into PA, then take the PA TP south to just below Philly, then I-95 for a short piece to US Rt 1, then to any point in DE that you want. It's a little longer, but it's a nice ride and you avoid NYC completely, which is always good from a traffic standpoint. You'd also avoid the CBB, since US1 is on the east side of the bay, you're already in DE. Have fun!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

In NY I would head to the Tappen Zee bridge then pick up 287 ( I think) that will take you back to the NJ Turnpike, then stay on this into De. As far as the Bay Bridge on Rt. 301 no propane restrictions but in very high winds they have closed it to empty tractor trailers and sometimes rv's, but so will the Scott Key Bridge around Balt. so then you have to take the west side of 695.
I would just use 301 south if it were my choice we do it all the time heading south with the camper and never had a problem.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #6

The only restrictions are your propane bottles have to be turned off. They have an inspection station where you have to pull over. The other is 13.6 height. They will close it down if the winds get up to high. You can call the VDOT office and they will tell you, if it is good to go across or not. The wind has to get really up their for them to do that. The propane stops are mandatory at any Virginia Tunnel. They have a safe pull off on both sides. You will probably wake the inspector up. It is a very large fine if you don't and get caught they have cameras and it will ruin your day I guarantee.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Always Learning

Sadly, there are 2 bridges in the area with similar names. The one that I am referring to is in Maryland (Chesapeake Bay Bridge). The one that Glenn (gljurczyk) is talking about is in Virginia (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel).

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge, in Maryland, doesn't have any propane restrictions that I'm aware of.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #8

Here is a link to the official MD regulations on propane. It only applies to the tunnels near Baltimore. The biggest issue with the bay bridge is high winds, but a check of the forecast can tell you if that route may be in jeopardy.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrostek View Post
Here is a link to the official MD regulations on propane. It only applies to the tunnels near Baltimore. The biggest issue with the bay bridge is high winds, but a check of the forecast can tell you if that route may be in jeopardy.
Good stuff. I emailed with the MDTA and confirmed that there are no propane restrictions with the Bay Bridge itself.

(Again, keep in mind the Bay Bridge Tunnel in VA that Glenn referred to above is different.)
Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #10

I go over the Bay Bridge everyday to go to work. On there Web site they list the speed that applies for wind restrictions. It does not happen a lot that they slow trailers going over. The bridge only shuts down for 55mph winds restrictions start at around 25 mph. And it's free going West bound Truck and trailer going East bound with a 2 axle trailer cost $ 18.00
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #11

Do your self a favor and avoid the New York City area with a RV. Some good people on this site advised me not to attempt pulling a TT onto Long Island. I am thankful for their advise. I did cross the George Washington bridge in my crewcab without the trailer. Traffic is terrible, even on the weekends. Like stated above, go around.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote