Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Don't worry, that next box of cereal you eat has a certain allowable limit for dead animal carcasses, bugs and poop in it.
Same for the air we breathe and the water we drink...It's not a perfect world but you would think people are smart enough to not go around and dump their bodily waste on the top of the ground on purpose especially right next to others. This is a no brainer....
Old 08-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #42

Here is some information from their web page.

Rutledge Lake RV Park is owned by the Cogdill family, with Gathai assuming the role of primary owner and Park Manager since August 2008. This is a second career for Gathai, who is also an experienced, registered cardiac nurse. She came to Western North Carolina by way of Thailand, Tehran, Illinois, Albuquerque, and Houston, and has since developed a strong attachment to the mountains and people of the area.

Maybe we should all contact the Cogdill Family and let them know about Gathai. Maybe she will be out of a job!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #43

Here is their Mission statement

Our Mission
We are committed to ensuring a quality camping experience for all of our guests: Providing a high level of friendly, professional service, clean and well-maintained facilities, and excellent value for every dollar spent. In the process, we strive to gain your respect, friendship, and a better understanding of ourselves, our community, and the Earth.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
I respectfully dissagree.
Howling dogs are irresponsible now matter how you cut it.
As a dog owner, you have a responsibility to control them and make them socially acceptable.
I have 3 large dogs (55, 65 and 100 lbs) and no one ever knows we have them until they see us leave the camper with them on leash.
Same thing with children; my daughter can get loud playing with her friends, but I always keep it under control and limit the volume/duration when others are close by. "kids will be kids" is true, but they also need to be taught manners and limits.
That the "neighbor" is irresponsible with his dog is not surprising given his other irresponsible behaviors...
And a BIG AMEN to that great white. In my opinion, the cg owner/mgr should either make them shut the dog up/leave or just vacate the premises.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Time to take matters in your own hands. Campground vigilante justice. Flatten his tires.
I know we're just playing around and picking....but you never know when you might just run into that guy ready-to-explode, like in TX, who shot his RV neighbors and their dogs over basically the same thing....crap.

Three people, two dogs killed in Texas RV park shooting > RV Daily Report |

Of course, you could print this out to show your offending neighbor, all the while mumbling about how your Uncle Charles was always your hero.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #46

Before you start handing out the pitchforks and torches, you might want to take a breath.

We only have one side of a story and sketchy on details.

I HIGHLY doubt anyone would just open up a black tank valve on the ground. Maybe, they spilled some rinse water, which is still very rude and gross.

I HIGHLY doubt any campground manager would look at a site that has poop and toilet paper all over it and just shrug and walk away. Especially by a lake. Probably all they saw was some water stain and no smell. I still think they should have at least talked to the guy - maybe they did and we don't know.

Some places allow free roaming of dogs, some don't. How bad or threatening they are is anyone's guess. Again, we are only hearing what the OP wants us to know. My last trip to state park an old woman was letting her german shepherd run thru the field and chase a frisbee. Was definitely "against the rules". Not in a million years would I have complained, although technically I could have, and maybe should have.

Think of your own experiences. Have you EVER seen this kind of behavior to this degree? I never have in 20 years of camping. Rowdy yes, rude yes. Fireworks, booze, guns and big dogs. But all handled with "hey buddy, hows it going? Can I have a word?"
Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
I respectfully disagree.

when you pull into a tighter campground it means you need to be more mindful and respectful of those around you, not use it as an excuse to act like a shameful boor.

Howling dogs are irresponsible now matter how you cut it.

As a dog owner, you have a responsibility to control them and make them socially acceptable.

I have 3 large dogs (55, 65 and 100 lbs) and no one ever knows we have them until they see us leave the camper with them on leash. No barking, no howling, no piles of poop all over the place. It's called "responsibility" and many dog owners have forgotten what that is.

Same thing with children; my daughter can get loud playing with her friends, but I always keep it under control and limit the volume/duration when others are close by. "kids will be kids" is true, but they also need to be taught manners and limits.

That the "neighbor" is irresponsible with his dog is not surprising given his other irresponsible behaviors...

Why put yourself into a position where you will most certainly have to deal with something like this? It's usually bad enough in a campground that has normal spacing, so why would anyone expect any different in one like this where you are jammed in like sardines?

This could be avoided by simply camping at a better facility.

This is a little bit like going to a really bad restaurant and then complaining the food sucks IMHO.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Before you start handing out the pitchforks and torches, you might want to take a breath.

We only have one side of a story and sketchy on details.

I HIGHLY doubt anyone would just open up a black tank valve on the ground. Maybe, they spilled some rinse water, which is still very rude and gross.

I HIGHLY doubt any campground manager would look at a site that has poop and toilet paper all over it and just shrug and walk away. Especially by a lake. Probably all they saw was some water stain and no smell. I still think they should have at least talked to the guy - maybe they did and we don't know.

Some places allow free roaming of dogs, some don't. How bad or threatening they are is anyone's guess. Again, we are only hearing what the OP wants us to know. My last trip to state park an old woman was letting her german shepherd run thru the field and chase a frisbee. Was definitely "against the rules". Not in a million years would I have complained, although technically I could have, and maybe should have.

Think of your own experiences. Have you EVER seen this kind of behavior to this degree? I never have in 20 years of camping. Rowdy yes, rude yes. Fireworks, booze, guns and big dogs. But all handled with "hey buddy, hows it going? Can I have a word?"
They were actually flushing a clogged black tank. They had a clear extension hooked up to it. When the water built up enough pressure (To the point it was spewing all over the guys face) they would open the black tank to try and force the clog and then close it. The continued to do this for about an hour until they got it unclogged. They had no sewer hose hooked up. I actually have video. It was never to the point of solid man sized turds flowing but it was black water nonetheless.

The manager did come, saw exactly what the guy was doing and did nothing about it. She said something to the guy but he just continued. She saw everything I saw.

I wasn't worried about the dog walking around without a leash. It was an older basset hound that was completely harmless. It was the constant barking and howling all night. Even after midnight and all morning while I was cooking breakfast 2 feet away from 3 disconnected sewer hoses all over my site.

Believe me or not. I really don't care. But I figured the picture alone would explain a little about this guy.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
Why put yourself into a position where you will most certainly have to deal with something like this? It's usually bad enough in a campground that has normal spacing, so why would anyone expect any different in one like this where you are jammed in like sardines?

This is a little bit like going to a really bad restaurant and then complaining the food sucks IMHO.
Respectfully, you're missing the point.

Close quarters is no excuse for rude and inconsiderate behavior, which seems to be the case here.

If anything, close quarters is a reason to be on your best possible behavior.

The rule to live by is you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't impinge on anyone else's right to enjoy their spot. That's only fair.

For example: Just because you want to get drunk and blare your music until 1 in the morning doesn't mean you should. It's just damned rude.

It seems lots of people out there these days have a unfounded sense of entitlement. What happens when you get two of these types together? Bad things happen....

Now, to the point I believe you are trying to make; I agree that I wouldn't be in a spot like that (IE: super tight) either.

Unless I arrived late a night and needed to stop with no other options available.

I have been assigned spots like that before, have driven around the park, found the spot I wanted, went back to the office and told them which spot I was moving to or I was leaving. This is very rare though. Once the office knows I've got a 35 foot trailer and slide outs they usually put me in a spot that's easily accessed and properly sized.

I also usually ask for full service pull though spots. I figure if I'm staying in a campground then I might as well take full advantage of the available services (as long as I have paid for them). It also gives me a chance to flush the heck out of my holding tanks without holding up the dump station before pulling out.

These spots are very often occupied by older couples in large motor-homes who are usually quiet and keep to themselves anyways. Fine by me, that's how I like it....

"Knock on wood", I usually pull in and out of campgrounds after my stays trouble free.

I should also note; most campground owners I've dealt with have been courteous and accommodating. I have been fortunate to deal with good people for the most part. But I also make sure I keep a courteous and respectful approach when I introduce myself, which is probably why I get the same courtesy in return.

"So shall ye reap as ye sow"......

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post

I agree. But after several hours in the car with a 20 month old and a dog and a 7 month pregnant wife I have no other choice. We are only staying for 2 days so spending one of those days looking for an alternative is not really in the cards.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #51

When the CG manager did nothing my next call would have been the the environmental government people. You are beside a lake and as stated there are laws against dumping sewage near a water source. Beside the owner of the TT being charged the CG owners would also be facing charges for not trying to clean up the mess. You have stated that you have a small child and a pregnant wife. Because of the situation of raw sewage on the ground. What would happen if your child falls into the dirt where the tank was dumped and then put her hands to her mouth? I would be leaving the CG as soon as it happened. The manager being a nurse should have known better.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #52
Site Team - Lou

Is it just me or is this thread really as gross as the subject being discussed?

How about we move on?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugged brown View Post
time to take matters in your own hands. Campground vigilante justice. Flatten his tires.
oh.my.gosh. Lmbo!!!

Roger & Dawn M.
2011 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8315BSS
2004 Ford Excursion
Nights camped in 2011: 27
Nights camped in 2012: 34
Old 08-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #54

Yuk. Sounds like tampons, or worse, diapers.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #55
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Is it just me or is this thread really as gross as the subject being discussed?

How about we move on?
Close it for my part. Hard to believe there are folks that stupid to flush a tank on the ground, let alone another person's lot. Can you imagine what his home and yard are like? YUCK!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #56
Site Team - Lou

Fine; on we go.
Closed Thread