Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Question Crater lake in May

Any suggestions for an RV campground? Our first trip across country. Want to see the Grand Canyon also. Trying to plan..
Sandra Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #2

Depending on how the rest of the winter shapes up, and if it is anything like last winter you probably will not be able to get close to Crater Lake in May. The rim drive some years is not snow free until July. Follow thge weather and see how things look the closer you get to your visit time.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #3

We were trying to see the lake last year on June 2nd, and we ran into very heavy snow. The roads into the lake area were closed.
mamentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

We did a cross country trip last year and saw the southern areas first: Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zions, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Arch's, and slowly worked our way out to Sequoia NP, Yosemite, Big Sur, and then traveled north. I met some people who did what you are thinking. They went north first and wished they had done the loop starting south the reason being it was too cold to begin their trip and too hot when they finally headed south to the Grand Canyon.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Site Team

if we have as much precipitation, this spring, as they are projecting, you probably won't be able to get to Crater Lake in May. even during drier seasons.
pretty early in the year to be going there.

Diamond Lake is always highly recommended for those who need hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

By the way, we stayed at: grandcanyoncampervillage.com while at the Grand Canyon. It's probably the closest private RV park to the south rim. About 5-10 miles to the rim. We found this CG to be just fine. No problems but not much shade and a lot of dust, but otherwise OK. We didn't spend much time at the CG.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #7

Best time for Crater Lake is after July 4. I have seen snow clear into August there.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #8

Not much to do at Crater Lake - Look at the lake for 15 minutes and head elsewhere. You can't go down to it.

On the other hand, there are all kinds of activities at Lake Tahoe and the views are just as beautiful.

Attached Images

Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
Not much to do at Crater Lake - Look at the lake for 15 minutes and head elsewhere. You can't go down to it.

On the other hand, there are all kinds of activities at Lake Tahoe and the views are just as beautiful.

Actually, when I was at Crater Lake a couple of years ago, there was a spot (think it was on the north side rim) , where you could descend to the lake surface and take a boat tour of the lake. I would assume that it is still there.
Here is some Crater Lake info: http://www.crater.lake.national-park.com/

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Actually, when I was at Crater Lake a couple of years ago, there was a spot (think it was on the north side rim) , where you could descend to the lake surface and take a boat tour of the lake. I would assume that it is still there.
Here is some Crater Lake info: Crater Lake National Park ...VTX-Al
Yep, that was available last time we were there. haven't heard anything about it being discontinued.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post

Not sure what you were expecting? It is NOT a resort afterall. You probably got bored at Yellowstone too.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #12

I compared Crater Lake to Lake Tahoe.

Both are very beautiful. Lake Tahoe has a gazillion things to do; Crater Lake has one. Haven't been to Yellowstone. been to Yosemite - beats Crater Lake hands down; Been to Moab, beats Crater Lake hands down; been to Bend, been to Oregon Coast, been to Victoria Island, been to Ashland, etc, etc.

(I knew there was access down what seemed like a steep gravel road on the North side but hardly anybody in their right mind uses it!)

I wanted to see Crater Lake, been there done that (not much more you can say for it).