Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

CT to NJ

Hello! We'd very much appreciate any suggestions the group can offer... We will travel with our Tundra and 22 foot TT between Clinton, CT to Pilesgrove, NJ. Clinton is along the I-95, but based on what I've read here, we'll avoid the 95.
We are thinking of picking up the I-84W somewhere around Waterbury, then the I-684 S, to the I-287 W (and across the Tappan Zee), then to the NJ Turnpike.
Does anyone know if there are traffic or construction areas to avoid along this route?
Does this take a large enough circle around NYC?
Thanks so very much!!
Grady Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

That's a good way to go other then the Tap. Construction there and if an accident, WOW. I ran that way to and from,West Springfield. I ran far enough west to hit the Garden State parkway, but I have EZPass. Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

We've camped at Hammonasset and Riverdale Farms, so we know your area well. Avoid Waterbury if you can. I'd take I-95 South to Exit 27A for the Route 8/25 Connector. Head north on Rt. 25 (it splits from 8 in Trumbull) and follow signs for I-84. You'll be on secondary roads for about 5 miles but there are no bridges.

Once on 84, I don't know of any construction, but the Tappan Zee itself is a construction zone.

I don't blame you for avoiding I-95 through NYC. We came through there in early July and the traffic was horrible and the toll for the GWB is FIFTY BUCKS with a two-axle trailer (without EZ Pass). Not sure if the TZ is any cheaper. Good luck!
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I ran far enough west to hit the Garden State parkway, but I have EZPass. Hope this helps.
Does the Garden State allow trailers?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

Yes trailers are allowed. I'm driving a Class C with a car trailer. Have been using since 2012, no problem.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
We've camped at Hammonasset and Riverdale Farms, so we know your area well. Avoid Waterbury if you can. I'd take I-95 South to Exit 27A for the Route 8/25 Connector. Head north on Rt. 25 (it splits from 8 in Trumbull) and follow signs for I-84. You'll be on secondary roads for about 5 miles but there are no bridges.

Once on 84, I don't know of any construction, but the Tappan Zee itself is a construction zone.

I don't blame you for avoiding I-95 through NYC. We came through there in early July and the traffic was horrible and the toll for the GWB is FIFTY BUCKS with a two-axle trailer (without EZ Pass). Not sure if the TZ is any cheaper. Good luck!

Thanks so much - that's great advice to take exit 27A to 25N. We'll do that. Much appreciation for your time. :-)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
That's a good way to go other then the Tap. Construction there and if an accident, WOW. I ran that way to and from,West Springfield. I ran far enough west to hit the Garden State parkway, but I have EZPass. Hope this helps.

We do have EZ Pass. Glad that will be helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to our post - it is appreciated!
Old 07-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #8

The route suggested by @JayArras worked perfectly. Tappan Zee was a breeze, and no toll because we were traveling west. Thanks to everyone for your help. Happy travels!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Camping View Post
Hello! We'd very much appreciate any suggestions the group can offer... We will travel with our Tundra and 22 foot TT between Clinton, CT to Pilesgrove, NJ. Clinton is along the I-95, but based on what I've read here, we'll avoid the 95.
We are thinking of picking up the I-84W somewhere around Waterbury, then the I-684 S, to the I-287 W (and across the Tappan Zee), then to the NJ Turnpike.
Does anyone know if there are traffic or construction areas to avoid along this route?
Does this take a large enough circle around NYC?
Thanks so very much!!

I travel CT to NJ a lot (married a Jersey Girl). I'll be coming home with camper in tow for first time this weekend from Cape May to Montville, CT. If I were you I would take 95 South to the NY line. Then take 287 across the Tap and all the way down to the NJ Turnpike. It will be longer but a much more enjoyable ride. 95 in NY to the George Washington Bridge is what you want to avoid. If you leave around 9:00 am you will miss rush hour in CT and should have a good ride to 287. It's all timing in CT.

2016 Nights Camped = 22
2017 Nights Camped = 11
PEAS_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEAS_PA View Post
I travel CT to NJ a lot (married a Jersey Girl). I'll be coming home with camper in tow for first time this weekend from Cape May to Montville, CT. If I were you I would take 95 South to the NY line. Then take 287 across the Tap and all the way down to the NJ Turnpike. It will be longer but a much more enjoyable ride. 95 in NY to the George Washington Bridge is what you want to avoid. If you leave around 9:00 am you will miss rush hour in CT and should have a good ride to 287. It's all timing in CT.

Thank you!!