Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

Decent Orlando Campground

I live in North Florida (about 25 miles NW of Gainesville). We are planning a trip to Ft Lauderdale on November 21 to visit family. We plan on coming back on Sunday the 24 and want to camp from then until Saturday the 30. What I would like to do is find a Campground that will let me drop my 5ver off on our way south so I don't have to drive 2 1/2 hours home to pick it up. I have never camped in the Orlando area before and I am just looking for some input on decent places that won't break the bank. I have called a few and they either want me to pay full rate or a monthly storage fee for 3 days storage. I am just looking for recommendations on campgrounds, I will negotiate the dropoff fee.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Take a look at Wekiva Falls State Park in Apopka. I have not been there, but I have never been to a Florida State Park that wasn't decent. Being a Florida Resident, you can't beat the price.

A little northeast of there is Wekiva Falls Campground. I believe it's a KOA campground. Lots of room and clean. They have some shady spots, but also a lot of open fields area.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

unless they finished the work on Wekiva SP this summer its walk up only and I can say this time of year its tuff. you can check into the city park I think its bill fredrick park, but you can google turkey lake park, its next to universal studios and they have an area to leave your 5th wheel
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

I know all the State Parks everywhere in the state are booked (I checked just about everyone of them in the state). I called Wekiwa Springs RV Resort yesterday and they wanted $50 (their monthly storage rate) for 3 days. I will call Bill Fredrick Park today. I know sometimes the City and County parks are more available. We spent Christmas at Hanna park in Jax last year and there a lot of open spaces.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #5

Just booked at Bill Fredrick park . Rate was great and $5 a day storage. The only problem is they didn't have a full hookup site available only power and water. Looks like quick showers and trips to the restroom

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Just wanted to say thanks to all especially bob34787. Bill Fredricks Park was perfect. Secluded yet close to everything. Hopefully next time we go there I will make reservations far enough in advance to get a site with a Full Hookup (about half the sites ar full hookup). The only problem we had was and it looked like just the site we had was the pad was sloped the wrong way. I had to lower the front jacks on the 5ver all the way and that wasn't still wasn't enough I ended up using a bottle jack to jack up the wheels and put dunage under them. It was site #15 so if you plan on going there avoid reserving that site. Like I said I looked at all the other sites and they seemed fairly level.

Tags
mpg