Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #1

Destin FL

SO me my wife & (2 boys 7 & 8) are planning our first outing since the covid has hit.

We are thinking of going to Destin FL to camp for a week on the beach. I have never personally been to destin. Is it worth it? I know each persons perception might be different. If you have camped there please leave me with some feedback.

We don't like the drinking/party atmosphere. Just want a nice clean beach, I've always heard that destin had super clear water for it's location. Good food close by is also a plus, although I am still Leary of eating out in the public with this covid crap going around, still don't know what to think of it.

I'm just nervous to make the 10 hour trip from Charlotte NC to destin, just to find out the beach is no nicer then my "go to" beach of Isle of palms sc. IOP beach trip would be half the price and only 3.5 hours from Charlotte.

Will Destin knock my socks off? Always heard it was next best to Key West. Just don't have enough time off work yet to make it all the way down to the keys. Especially with a nagging 7 & 9 year old in the truck for 10+ hours is stressful.

Tell me what you all think about destin?
Lee Majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #2

Although it wasn't Destin to be exact, I took my family to Pensacola in 2017. The water there was beautiful, and if you went a bit of the beaten path, there were nice areas where there was no crowd at all. Especially during the week. Destin and Pensacola aren't too far from one another, and I've heard those that have been to both, say they are very similar.

Lots of fun things to do with the family near that area of Florida.

Go, you won't regret it.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #3

Your satisfaction with Destin will depend on what you like. We camped at Topsail Preserve State Park east of Destin last winter. Just a retired couple, no kids. We unfortunately chose a route that forced us to drive through Destin. I’ll tell you the congestion there is definitely not my thing and we couldn’t wait to get through the mess. But obviously, because it is congested, it seems to be a hit with lots of people.

Topsail Park campground describes itself as being in the top 1% of campgrounds in the country. Maybe it was at one time, but rating is way out of date. The actual campground was OK but I would maybe put it in the top 80% at best. It was run down and needing repair. The beach at Topsail was very nice, and they have a tram shuttle that takes you to the beach.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:42 PM   #4

We just got back from Destin. Camp Gulf was expensive, but we felt certain sites were worth it. Those would be the pull throughs closest to the beach. We also stayed on the first row back from the beach where slides and awnings touch your neighbors, of which I was not a fan.

The traffic is a nightmare and there is construction. We had wonderful meals at restaurants and I personally felt like everyone was respectful of social distancing guidelines. We were there Memorial Day weekend so it was packed wall to wall. We will definitely go back, but I really want to get into Topsail Hill.

In my 25 or more years of visiting the gulf coast, I have never once experienced water this clear. Now, this extreme clarity only occurred for 2 days but OMG we have only seen water like this in Grand Turk. It may have been better than the Caribbean. It was the highlight of our 12 day trip. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_091247.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	231657
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #5

If you want to be on the beach and you don’t mind being packed in like a drug store parking lot the Camp Gulf is the place to go. Take both wallets because the site are $$$. But, you are right at the beach. They have beach front sites that are on the beach sand. I doubt one of those sites will be open but even if not you are no more than a few minute walk to the beach

There are also 2 pools, lots of activities for the kids. Not sure what is going on with C-19 right now so check with them.

We stay every year for a month backed up onto the beach. They have good deals in the winter.

Traffic will be terrible. It is so bad all the time but the 100 days of summer (Memorial Day thru Labor Day) are really bad. Go,for,the beach and the family time. Your family will want to go back every year. The beach is beautiful.

Topsail is also a great Florida State Park. We stay there every year also. One poster on here did not like it that well but not sure what part of the park they camped. Paved roads, concrete pads, privacy, shade. It is not right on the beach. Catch the tram or ride your bike. I doubt you will find a vacancy though. Florida State parks are always full. You need to plan 11 months ahead to get a spot in Topsail. You can check ReserveAmerica.com and see if someone has cancelled for when you are staying but I don’t think that park will be as much fun for your kids.

Pensacola Beach has Fort Pickens National Park. Not sure if it is open yet. Nice park walking distance to more white sand beaches. We were just out there a few weeks ago and the campgrounds were still closed.

Whatever you decide better get to making a reservation. It may be hard to find something available. Happy camping.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:52 PM   #6

Overall, Florida's panhandle is nice area. I lived in Ft Walton Beach for a couple years back in the 80s. It sure changed a lot. We were down there about 10 years ago, it was a little expensive but the beaches and water were still fantastic.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #7

We are so apprehensive about making reservations more then 2-3 weeks out from when we want to travel. Camping has gotten so popular that we can no longer do the spur of the moment trips. Between being self employed and the kids, something always comes up that makes us cancel last minute.
Lee Majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #8

If it helps, I made our reservations at Camp Gulf maybe 10 to 14 days before we planned to go. We had 4 days in Destin, 4 at Gulf State Park, then back to Destin for 3. I was obsessive and checked the website for cancellations multiple times daily until something became available.
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #9

Being from Florida, I'm partial. But Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area is great! You will not be disappointed except for the whole COVID crap. Did a guy trip out there 2 years ago for fishing. AWESOME. I haven't camped there since we are newbies, but we do have a State Park on our watchlist. Do it!
SeabrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #10
OYO

We stayed at Ft Pickens NP (Pensacola Beach) last fall, I highly recommend it. Beach is great. I can't speak to the water clarity, there was a tropical storm rolling in. Cheap campsite, restaurants are 15 minute drive down a park road (no traffic) easy bicycling to the fort where you can wander around or take a ferry to Pensacola.

Our kids would have loved it at 7/9. Or 38/40 (now)
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #11

Panama City Beach claims to have the worlds most beautiful beaches with sugary white beaches. Destin beaches are whiter.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #12

Spent vacations at PCB most of my life. About 10 years ago we visited St Augustine area beaches. While the beaches aren’t white like the panhandle, the beaches are big and flat unlike PCB. Plus you can drive on the beaches. The biggest plus over PCB / Destin, is the infrastructure. I find the St Augustine area hard to beat.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #13

Lots of small towns to the east of Destin , not near as commercial . Google Carrabelle , several nice campgrounds . Not on the ocean beach but on the bay .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
Lots of small towns to the east of Destin , not near as commercial . Google Carrabelle , several nice campgrounds . Not on the ocean beach but on the bay .

We’ve lived in the area for the last 20 years or so. You’re right about the nice campgrounds/resorts along Highway 98. Coastline RV resort in Eastpoint, FL is great. While the views are nice, the water not so much. St. George Island is the go to beach along the Forgotten Coast. The state park campground on SGI is the place to be, if you enjoy camping, not glamping. Note; Forgotten Coast, Probably given this name, because the bugs, certain times of the year, will have you wanting to forget this place. [emoji23]
Old 06-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #15

A ten hour trip by car will be a longer trip towing. We don’t go over 65 MPH and stay in the right lane as much as possible, unless we need to pass someone.

The panhandle is nice and we’ve camped at st. Joe’s and St. George, which are both Florida State Parks. It was nice, but I prefer Ft. Clinch in Fernandina Beach (just north of Jacksonville) and Gamble Rogers in Flagler Beach. They are both state parks as well, but on the east coast.

We just camped at Stone Mountain, Georgia and left this morning. The attractions are not open yet and neither is the pool or playground. We enjoyed it though.

I would stick closer to home if I were you, especially with little kids. Cook kid friendly meals, enjoy the fire pit, and tell them plenty of camp stories. Take some fun camping type crafts and games to play. Make it more of a Relaxing family time rather than pushing to get to the beach far from home.

We had a pop up when our kids were young and enjoyed many trips close to our home all the time in Virginia. We played lots of games, went to amusement parks, tubed and went canoeing, etc.

One thing the kids loved was foil packet dinners on the fire. Sliced potatoes, sliced onion, sliced green peppers, a little salt and pepper. Spray the foil with cooking spray, layer in the veggies, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. After the potatoes are cooked, remove from the heat, open the packet, and put some sliced cheddar cheese on top. Close the foil until the cheese melts. Some folks like to cook with a hamburger patty as well.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #16
waybeck2018

If any of you are military or retired/Civil Service, etc, there is a FAMCAMP in Destin that is perfect. Not right on the beach, but it does have a marina that rents pontoon boats and jet ski's. Easy access to the Gulf from Santa Rosa Sound. They have a new campground as well as cabins and a hotel like lodging facility. One advantage is that you will have access to a fabulous beach operated by the Air Force. Access is free to authorized persons and parking is (when we were there) $3.00 daily with in and out all day. Beach is flat and marvelous, beautiful water and there is a nice pavilion. We think Destin has the best beaches and water of any along that stretch of the Gulf.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #17

We were at Camp Gulf just this past week. It is very pricey. The beach was awesome. Soft white sand. We were in site 535 along the side. It was very wide. We enjoyed our time there. Seen it done it sort of thing. Yes traffic there is very congested. However, it wasn't a knock my socks off let's run to the office and book for next year. Some it is some it isn't. Only you can decide if it was worth it. We like to travel around and check out different areas.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
We were at Camp Gulf just this past week. It is very pricey. The beach was awesome. Soft white sand. We were in site 535 along the side. It was very wide. We enjoyed our time there. Seen it done it sort of thing. Yes traffic there is very congested. However, it wasn't a knock my socks off let's run to the office and book for next year. Some it is some it isn't. Only you can decide if it was worth it. We like to travel around and check out different areas.

Next time try Topsail or Grayton Beach State Parks, just a little east of Destin. While not on the beach, both are on beach side. Much less than Camp Gulf.