Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

east coast campgrounds

We will be heading up the east coast to Maine this summer with a stop at The Great Smokey mountains and Washington DC. We plan to visit the Smithsonian museums while in Washington.

Any suggestions for campgrounds with transportation to/in DC? Not use to heavy traffic, we are not looking forward to the DC environment so we are looking for the best campground with the best connections. Also we have problems walking distances, so are looking for advice on DC transportation around the museums.

Any help is appreciated.

Louisiana native..
twaggenspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaggenspack View Post
We will be heading up the east coast to Maine this summer with a stop at The Great Smokey mountains and Washington DC. We plan to visit the Smithsonian museums while in Washington.

Any suggestions for campgrounds with transportation to/in DC? Not use to heavy traffic, we are not looking forward to the DC environment so we are looking for the best campground with the best connections. Also we have problems walking distances, so are looking for advice on DC transportation around the museums.

Any help is appreciated.

Louisiana native..

There is one in Gainesville, VA right off Rt. 66 that caters to D.C. RV visitors. Not cheap though.
Delnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

Cherry Hill in College Park, MD is nice. Close to a Metro, not far off the beltway and full of amenities.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

Cherry Hill Park seems to be the most recommended for it's access to the METRO and for it's amenities.

It is located just outside the DC area in Maryland.

https://www.cherryhillpark.com/https://www.cherryhillpark.com/

A METRO bus runs close to the park and then you can transfer to the subway. The subway (METRO) runs directly to THE MALL where the Smithsonian, all the monuments, Capitol Building, Air and Space Museum, etc. are. It also will take you to the Arlington National Cemetery is located. The exit of the METRO is across the street from the entrance to the cemetery.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Always Learning

If you can dry camp, you can save a lot of money by staying at Greenbelt National Park.

Otherwise, the easiest is Cherry Hill with it's direct access to public transit.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

My BIL stayed at Cherry Hill Campground in Maryland, just north of DC. I don’t know how far it is from the metro, but you should be able to drive and park at a metro station. You can keep adding money to your metro card as needed. They have machines in the stations.

This past May, some of my coworkers and I took an evening trolly tour of DC. It lasted two to three hours. I have been to DC many times in the past, but really enjoyed that tour! Be sure you have appropriate clothing and shoes because you will walk a lot from Smithsonian buildings. I HIGHLY suggest you avoid May and the first part of June because of all the school trips made from across the country. You just can’t see anything worthwhile because of the crowds! Get with your local congressman to get tickets to the Capital Tour, sitting in the gallery, and to the White House. I would start checking into it now because those tickets go fast. You cannot take anything other than ID and maybe your keys into the White House and you go through security at the Capital. No backpacks either. Check their websites for more information. I also recommend the Haulocaust museum. You need tickets there as well. Check their website.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #7

If you can swing it, stop at Monticello in VA on the way to Washington. It’s amazing, you won’t be disappointed.

ForDC, I would recommend Cherry Hill Park. They cater to DC visitors, they’re close to the metro and you can catch a bus right from the campground. It’s very well run, clean, the staff friendly. It isn’t wilderness camping, you’ll Hera the constant highway traffic, but it’s nice.

Use the metro to get around, it’s very convenient. Do the Smithsonian, bug if you have time, check out Mount Vernon, the crime and punishment museum, fords theater, spy museum, newseum, national zoo.

Have fun!
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #8

There is A LOT of walking involved in DC, if that is an issue i would strongly suggest some kind of bus tour that specifically caters to people who would prefer limited walking.

You didn't get this far north in your question but I would highly recommend Seawall campground in Acadia National Park, or there is a very popular KOA that I'm sure someone else can chime in with, as we didn't stay there. Seawall is dry camping, so that may not work for you, but it is very nice. As far a the Freeport area we really enjoyed staying at Wolfe's Neck Ocean Front Campground, which is attached to an educational farm.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg