Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #21

In pa it saves a lot it over 28% with ez pazz
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #22

I currently live in Kansas and do not have an E-ZPass. I do have k-tag but unfortunately it's not compatible for the Eastern States. My son lives in Boston however so I'm traveling there more frequently and plan to pick up an EZ-PASS. Different states offer EZ-PASS with different benefits in terms of ongoing savings and expense. You don't have to live in the state to activate their transponder. Since you won't need this for many months out of a year I would avoid any transponders that come from a state with an ongoing monthly or annual expense.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #23

I live in Massachusetts and they have no booths. They use EZ pass and if you don’t have one they photo the plate and send a bill. I am told the cost is higher. The EX pass is good in many states and I got it for free but I am a resident.
Bose04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #24

We purchased E-Pass Xtra from Florida. It says it works with E-PASS, SunPass, LeeWay, PeachPass, NC QuickPass, E-ZPass, RiverLink, I-PASS and FastPass toll systems. We have not used it yet so I can not say for sure it does, but since our E-ZPass would not work on all Florida Toll roads, we decided to try the E-Pass Xtra.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #25

The last time I was traveling in Massachusetts I registered online by providing my plate numbers and a credit card. I did not get any discount but it made it easy to manage the trip without toll gates booths.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:08 PM   #26

It would be worth getting one. Some of the highways are going to easy pass or photographing your license plate and sending a bill. If you do go through a toll with an attendant, the cost can be much more. I'm in Pa and it's attached to a credit card. Once a certain amount is used, the card is recharged to the allotted amount. You're only charged for what you use. There's no monthly charge to have one. I have 1 in my RV & 1 in my car.
Rikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #27

EZ Pass savings

The EZ Pass is well worth it just for the convenience, but the savings are also substantial. For example tolls across Pa, about 400 miles for my vehicle and two axle Travel Trailer is $97, cash, and $69 with EZ Pass - no question on the benefit. If you use it less than a certain amount per month there is a small service fee ($1 per month, I think).
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #28

I have a special ez pass tag for my truck and trailer combination. My son in law simply uses his regular one and stops at the manned booth when getting off and they adjust the account. I have no idea how the toll booth less roads (Mass & PA. Coming soon to NY) work. I know that they will send you a bill if you don't have an easy pass but not sure what happens otherwise. They have signs posted as to what to do, but since I have the pass I have ignored them. I have yet to find a place East of the Mississippi that the ez pass hasn't worked.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStormC View Post
I have a special ez pass tag for my truck and trailer combination. My son in law simply uses his regular one and stops at the manned booth when getting off and they adjust the account. I have no idea how the toll booth less roads (Mass & PA. Coming soon to NY) work. I know that they will send you a bill if you don't have an easy pass but not sure what happens otherwise. They have signs posted as to what to do, but since I have the pass I have ignored them. I have yet to find a place East of the Mississippi that the ez pass hasn't worked.
I have never stopped when pulling my trailer, when you go thru the booth, there is a sensor mounted low that counts the axles and it automatically adjusts the rate for the trailer.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #30

A couple of years ago I bought an Ezpass at a CVS in Goshen. At the end of the Rally we traveled all the way to Maine then MD then returned through the Shenandoah Valley.
The pass was great and worked everywhere. I still keep it around for the few times we hit a toll somewhere

Bill
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #31

EZ PASS

We live in CA and did an east coast trip and bought the EZpass on line. It arrived in the mail and we activated it on line also. Worked great, no waiting in line and some roads have a non stop lane so you just keep going. No hassle digging out money. Does not work in KS.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #32

ONe thing to remember...

If traveling in states other than the one that issued your transponder, make sure your balance is high enough to cover your tolls. The auto charge to a credit card for charges from out of state can take a couple of days to occur. If you don't have sufficient funds in your account, they may charge you the non-EZ Pass toll and possibly an additional fee.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #33

Just wonder how they figure for a large motorhome and towing a car?
I'm sure they won't charge me if I have the EZ-Pass for a car fare
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #34
StlClay

In PA they charge by the axle....at least on the turnpike. The Pa turnpike site has setting for auto refill from a credit card. Now I know some of you worry about credit cards on the web but I have had my Ezpass for 4 years with no issues. Yes I do look at it monthly just to check.

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #35
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
In MA, they have transponder readers at various locations along the Mass Pike AND have sensors in the pavement directly below the readers to detect the number of axles.

I made two round trips on the Pike through the same readers with the same transponder in my F-150. The first round trip was made without the TT ($3.90) and on the second round trip I towed the TT ($13.50).

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #36

Quote:
They will issue a separate transponder for the motorhome and then the sensor at the toll booth counts the axels when you go thru and makes the adjustment for the car or trailer. (works by weight class and number of axels.)
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #37
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
They will issue a separate transponder for the motorhome and then the sensor at the toll booth counts the axels when you go thru and makes the adjustment for the car or trailer. (works by weight class and number of axels.)
Massachusetts is entirely different. No toll booths in MA, just overhead gantries (maybe 20'+ high) across the turnpike road with cameras and in-pavement sensors to count axles. I understand that this is the current design model on which new toll taking installations will be based. I believe I read that New York will soon be adopting this model.

We only need a single transponder that serves both non-towing and towing needs.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #38

That seams to be the New way to take extra money from you. Just take a picture of your tag and we send a bill. Half again what you pay for EZPass. Just don't cross the George Washington Bridge go I,g into New York.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Hi All NE friends.

I have a few questions you may be able to help me with for my Sept 2019 NE RV trip.
I have a 38ft motorhome and tow my small car. Roadways no problem as I have probably over 65,000 miles in my rig and no accidents. (YET lol)

I will be travelling up from Tennessee on the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway to Gettysburg PA then up to Newburgh NY and to Watertown Connecticut where I will turn around and back to Newburgh NY and head south to Delaware and the Cherry Hill RV Park NW of DC.
After DC I head south Bethpage Virginia and to New Bern NC and south to Myrtle Beach then Jacksonville FL

The routes will be Interstates as much as I can.
I know the roads in the NE have Tolls.
Being in my motorhome and towing I have 4 axles so tolls are higher.
Knowing this I wanted to ask if I was able to picked up an EZ-Pass toll transponder will it save me that much money?
Can I use it in all these states in the NE that have tolls?
This is a one time trip and don't plan to return with my motorhome and car.
OR
Should I just say hell with it any pay as I go and not worry about EZ-Pass?

Any input from locals or people who have travelled the NE is greatly appreciated.
Seems that all the above responses for getting an EZ-Pass are all valid and it is more economical and time saving. Not to mention the abundance of "unmanned" toll booths that don't accept cash. Also, more & more states are incorporating high speed EZ-Pass only toll lanes.
Also, I believe the high speed toll lanes on the NYS Thruway will get you a ticket for toll evasion if you don't have EZ-Pass.
I vote for getting one.....I do.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:19 PM   #40

NY is moving to all cashless tolls. I don't remember if the Newburgh exit of I-87 is completely cashless yet, but the Harriman exit is. If you go through those tolls without an EZ Pass, they just bill the address that the vehicle plates are registered to.

For Newburgh, I assume you're going to the KOA in Platekill? That's the local campground we go to for weekends throughout the season.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote