Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #1

Feedback on planned trip!

Hi all,

Thinking of taking an 5 day family trip at end of March in our 23IKSS before we park her for the summer on the Chesapeake.

Wife, 9yr old daughter and her friend.

Thoughts on the following and campground recommendations:

Leaving from northern suburbs of Philly and travelling day one to Monticello in Virginia (Charlottesville area), arriving mid-day.

Set up camp (where?).

Next day visit Monticello in tow vehicle.

Spend second night at same campground.

Leave early next day and tow 2 hrs to Colonial Williamsburg.

Set up camp (where?).

Spend second half of day at Colonial Williamsburg.

Spend that night at same campground.

Spend full next day at Colonial Williamsburg.

Spend that night at same campground.

Leave early next morning for 5hr trip home.

Are we budgeting enough time?
Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sounds like a well planned trip to me in terms of time.
Not too big of tow time to get to planned stopovers and one day for a 5 hour trip home sounds more than reasonable.

Can't help you where to camp.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

We are traveling to Charlottesville in April and I researched campgroundreviews.com to look at the campgrounds in the area. We are staying a Misty Mountain. Haven't stayed there yet. But from the reviews it looked good. Have fun on your trip.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #4

Can't go wrong with Misty Mountain, there is also a small KOA just outside of Charlottesville. Both places are suitable. I can't tell you anything about the bath houses, I use my own. The KOA is small and they fill up fast, Misty mountain is much bigger, unless you have a small camper stay on the lower level, "up the hill " can be tight. Beautiful time of year to visit, a couple of winery's near by. enjoy . As far as your trip to Williamsburg, lot of people camp at Newport News city Park, just off the interstate , tucked in the woods very peaceful, just a short drive to your attractions.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #5

I had a great time with the kids (around 9 y.o. At the time) at colonial Williamsburg a few years ago. There is a scavenger hunt that brings you through the whole place and keeps the kids engaged. We stayed at the KOA/Williamsburg. It was ok, nothing special, but not far from all the "stuff"
bigt1739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Can't go wrong with Misty Mountain, there is also a small KOA just outside of Charlottesville. Both places are suitable. I can't tell you anything about the bath houses, I use my own. The KOA is small and they fill up fast, Misty mountain is much bigger, unless you have a small camper stay on the lower level, "up the hill " can be tight. Beautiful time of year to visit, a couple of winery's near by. enjoy . As far as your trip to Williamsburg, lot of people camp at Newport News city Park, just off the interstate , tucked in the woods very peaceful, just a short drive to your attractions.
Thanks, Chuck. First nights have been booked at Misty Mountain, creekside on the lower level.

Looks like I have to call to book Newport News park. Is there a water view if you camp on the part of the loop closest to the water? Not sure if there are trees in the way.

Any feedback on Chickahominy Riverfront Park? Seems there are water views there, too.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

Plenty of water views, just ask for one. Lots and lots of deer. I believe A or B loop will be your best bet. Close to I 64 about 20 b minutes to Williamsburg.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #8

We loved Newport News Park Campground, Newport News, Virginia. It's near Williamsburg and so many other things, a Civil War historical site in the campground.
wmdave17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #9

Beginning of last year we ran over to Williamsburg for 2 days. Stayed at American Heritage RV Park. Beautiful, xtra clean park, with paved pull through sites. A bit pricy, but as with anything else, you get what you pay for.
Would definately go back there again.
Can't help with the Charlottesville area for camping as we live not too far away. Most of the places your going to visit, we can drive to. But, we have heard good things about Misty Mtn.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #10

With children in your age group, you should consider Jamestown. Very well done and even more interesting to kids than Williamsburg, in my opinion
bounj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #11

And don't forget Yorktown, lots of battlefields. And go across the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel east bound toward Norfolk. On a clear day you can see Air craft carriers at the East coast biggest navel port. Lots and Lots of things to do here. I guess I live around it and don't pay much attention. That's why I go to Cape Hatteras. Just enjoy your trip, if you can't get it all done make another fall trip to take in the rest.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounj2 View Post
With children in your age group, you should consider Jamestown. Very well done and even more interesting to kids than Williamsburg, in my opinion
Interesting. What do you think about trying to do a half day at Jamestown and full day next day at Williamsburg? Biting off too much?

I figure if we pull stakes by 8am at Misty Mountain, we're at our next campground and fully set up by 11:30, then at Jamestown by noonish. (Have to pay for extra night at campground in order to check in that early).
Old 02-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #13

From someone that has been going to williamsburg almost every year since 1984, you need more time than a day and a half. I stay at Anvil CG. Next to train tracks but close to everything. Family owned it seams like forever, very nice people.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #14

We really like Beth Page resort. It's about 45 minutes outside of Williamsburg. Sites are open but VERY LARGE. Kids love the water park. Don't know how you guys feel about the drive but if you plan on spending time at the campground it's a great resort to stay at.
Rdifuccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #15

I think the final itenerary is going to be to leave early on a Wed, hit Montpelier on way to Misty Mountain campground, spend night, leave early and hit Monticello on way to Newport News campground, spend night, see Jamestowne next morning, and Williamsburg next afternoon, spend night, Williamsburg all day, spend night, drive home that Sunday.

We have a creekside site in the lower half of Misty Mountain, and a waterside site at Newport News reserved.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #16

Kid got a stomach bug and fever yesterday, day before we were supposed to leave, thought we were scrubbing the trip, but she bounced back overnight and we hit the road this morning.

Hit Montpelier on the way down, which was awesome (I didn't realize the extent to which Madison had been the force behind the Constitution).

Now drinking wine sitting fireside creekside at Misty Mountain Campground. Somehow my carpenter level and Bluetooth outdoor speaker took a walk over the winter, but all else is a-ok after my camper's long winter nap.