Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Finger Lakes NY suggestions

My husband and I want to plan a camping trip this Fall to the finger lakes region for our anniversary. We havenít started to research the area yet. We were hoping to find a campground near a lake. Does anyone have campground suggestions and sightseeing suggestions? I want to visit the regionís wineries, but we understand there is some beautiful scenery there too. We have a 34 foot Flagstaff travel trailer. Thank you!
Wwparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #2

WE have been to Watkins Glenn KOA a couple of times. Near the wineries and the track. If you get the deluxe patio sites they are big and nice.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/watkins-glen/
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #3

There are a few state parks campgrounds around there as well as private ones. We have camped a Taughnnock state park on Lake Cayuga. They have limited sites with power with those sites having a water spigot for every two sites. It is up on the hill side but is in the heart of the wineries there. Nice easy hiking to the falls. We like it. We bring our 25 foot hybrid and have no problems with the sites. There were quite a few 5th wheels there the last time we were there.
We have also camped at the Watkins Glen KOA at the bottom of lake Seneca. The campground is not on the lake, but is very nice. Pricey but you can get full hookups. It is a resort rated KOA.

One I want to go to, is Watkins Glen state park but have not made it there yet. Have seen air of recommendations for that one. It is on Lake Seneca.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #4

Hickory Hill Family Campground, one of my favorite places.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjsav View Post
WE have been to Watkins Glenn KOA a couple of times. Near the wineries and the track. If you get the deluxe patio sites they are big and nice.

Stayed here last year and will this year for NASCAR race weekend and the week following. Great place to stay and enjoy the region. Like most KOAs sites a little narrow, but typical., great pool inside and out with a bunch of other amenities. If you are a wine person you could spend the week tasting. Look into a ride on the schooner True Love. I suggest the sunset sail. https://www.schoonerexcursions.com/
Race fan or not, a drive around Watkins Glen International. You drive your vehicle and they lead you with a pace vehicle. They say they stay at 55 but we went a little faster. Gives you a idea how talented drivers are who hit 190MPH on the back strait and then make it through the next turn, along with the rest of the course. http://www.theglen.com/Mobile-Websit...-The-Glen.aspx
Then there is this http://therealbedfordfalls.com/ Not fall but a neat place to visit.
Do as much research about the area as you can. There is so much to do.
We went for race weekend and stayed the week. Was the busiest week we have ever spent camping which is why we are going back this year.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

Watkins Glen State Park is beautiful, nice sites, a huge and super deep pool, and the hike through the gorge trail to see all the waterfalls is a must!!!!

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
Watkins Glen State Park is beautiful, nice sites, a huge and super deep pool, and the hike through the gorge trail to see all the waterfalls is a must!!!!
X2 - FROG has a wine festival rally here some years.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We've stayed several places but the Watkins Glen KOA is our favorite too.
We've been there now 4 times. Stay in the 'back' and get a nice site.

Take a boat tour on Seneca Lake (we like Captain Bill's) and of course check out all the wineries and waterfalls in the area and other lake regions.

As Cabinfever97 mentioned, race fan or not, drive the road course at WGI.
It has been one of my favorite things to have ever done. It was a blast!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #9

Kukua Lake State Campgrounds

We have been champing for 15+ years at Kukua Lake State Campgrounds. We camp 4th of July week (7-10 days) with about 15 campsites with friends. We love it here, great facilities, good hiking, beautiful water, huge playground for kids down by the lake and a nice beach to swim in.

They do not have a camp store, but you have Branchport (hardware and a few small shops) and Pen Yan (everything from beer store, local grocery stores and butchers, and a dunkin donuts) that are very close. I highly recommend this campground.

We always book at the top loop, big sites, most have enclosing trees and will give you a very private camping experience.
snyps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Hickory Hill Family Campground, one of my favorite places.
X2; on this but make sure that you are placed on a firm site pull thru site not on the grasses sites.
This is what happened to me last year after a week of rain before we got there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct_2_18_2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	196707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct_2_18_4.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	558.7 KB
ID:	196708  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #11

Have fond memories of Rollins Pond State Park, which is located behind Fish Creek State Park
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #12

Sampson SP in Romulus NY. North Eastvside of Seneca Lake. Former naval base with an on-site museum. Close to wineries and the Waterloo Outlet Stores.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #13

junius ponds campground

Check Junius Ponds Campground right off of exit 42 on NYS thruway,we stay there on are way to florida and it a very nice campgrounds near the wineries and seneca lake
godlobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #14

We can also recommend the Watkins Glen/Corning KOA. There are several other nice parks in the Watkins Glen area. Also, in case you are interested, the Watkins Glen speedway will let you drive your own vehicle (car/pickup, I don't know about motorhomes) for a couple of laps around the track. This is a sports car track, not an oval. My 10 year old F250 diesel had a little trouble keeping up with the pace car, but it was loads of fun and worth the nominal fee.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyps View Post
We have been champing for 15+ years at Kukua Lake State Campgrounds. We camp 4th of July week (7-10 days) with about 15 campsites with friends. We love it here, great facilities, good hiking, beautiful water, huge playground for kids down by the lake and a nice beach to swim in.

They do not have a camp store, but you have Branchport (hardware and a few small shops) and Pen Yan (everything from beer store, local grocery stores and butchers, and a dunkin donuts) that are very close. I highly recommend this campground.

We always book at the top loop, big sites, most have enclosing trees and will give you a very private camping experience.
Agree on Keuka lake. Stayed there for a few days last July while touring the wineries of the region. Good campground with spacious sites. We had electric and there was a shared water supply for every four sites in our loop. You can't stay hooked up to water, but you can refill pretty much whenever you want. Of course, you have to move to dump, but that wasn't a problem because the campground had excellent, clean, well maintained bathrooms and showers, so water usage at the site was minimal. Each campground was surrounded by a tree line on three sides, leaving only the side along the road open, so privacy was excellent.
Truly excellent wineries line both sides of the lake. The huge wineries of yesteryear which produced almost undrinkably sweet whites are largely gone and dozens of small vineyards producing wonderful wines are everywhere.

If you are a Harvest Host member and don't mind boondocking, Rooster Hill winery on the east side of the lake, and Blue Heron on the west side, a little north of Hammondsport will let you bookdock in their parking lots overnight. We also found a couple of excellent pottery shops on the west side of the lake.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #16

Didnít see Clute Park mentioned. FROG had Wine Fest Rally here.
Nice Park sits right at southern tip of Seneca Lake and views the lake, Super Walmart right next to it...walking distance.
Clute Park is on route 414 which runs directly north through several wineries and tasting rooms.
IMO this is an excellent location for your needs, the area is beautiful. The fingerlakes National Forest is right there with 14,000 acres & many trails, plus the gorges throughout Watkins Glen as others have mentioned.
Iíve been there 33 years and know the area well.
One caution: you mentioned fall, most parks in that area NE close around October 12.
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Also stayed here for a couple of nights during last summer's wine trip. Sitess are much more wooded than at Keuka Lake and there is less privacy. The original site we were assigned (can't recall whether we picked it off the online map when we reserved or it was assigned) definately would not hold a 25 foot Class C, I don't care what the website said. Frankly, I'd have been hard presssed to fit and level a bivy sack in the site. Fortunately they had a couple of sites they kept open for situations like that and were able to assign us another. Again, clean, well maintained bathrooms and showers. The Village of Watkins Glen is really lovely and boasts a number of good restaurants. While the track is a couple of miles away, be prepared to wake up early to the sound of screaming motors at the Speedway. I saw my first Formula One race at this track almost 50 years ago when it was the US venue on the F1 circuit, so I love the sound, but others may not be as enamoured with it. As at Keuka, wonderful wineries along the lakefront with a wide variety of excellent wines.
While you're in the area a visit to the Corning Glass museum is worth the time if you are interested.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #18

Finger Lakes Region

Visited finger lakes many times through the years and planing another trip this fall. Check the NYS Parks and Recreation web site and look in the finger lakes region for state camp grounds. Two of my favorite finger lakes Keuka Lake and Cayuga Lake. Both nice camp grounds and great wine trails.
Enjoy
Take the longway home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjsav View Post

AND QUITE PRICEY!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
If you're a small unit, it will work. I will say anything over 30 feet, forget it!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote