Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #1
Senior New Member

First time New England Fall 2016...advice please?

We have a schedule and reservations all the way from Austin on August 24 to arrive in Acadia NP Sept 15th (14 stops). After that, we are winging it...do we need to be concerned with needing to make advance campground reservations after Labor Day and / or what kind of crowds should we expect in the area for the Fall color seekers ?

Our plan is to stay North until the leaves start changing and head back to Texas via Gettysburg and then the Blue Ridge parkway.

Your advice would be welcome! Thanks

Ausstar
ausstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
Wait till next year...

You'll enjoy Acadia in September. I hope you plan on at least a week there . Between the carriage trails,hiking,Park loop road theres plenty to see and do for a month. Foliage in New england is fickle. Best bet is to keep an eye on the online foliage reports and ask locals where the color is. Late september into late October is generally prime color months
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

When you leave Acadia do yourselves a big favor and go through the White Mountains of NH, (Kancamagus Hwy) then in to Vermont and the Green Mountains and finally in to NY and the Adirondacks. Beautiful states and perfect in the fall.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by limblips View Post
When you leave Acadia do yourselves a big favor and go through the White Mountains of NH, (Kancamagus Hwy) then in to Vermont and the Green Mountains and finally in to NY and the Adirondacks. Beautiful states and perfect in the fall.
Yes ! Youroo!!
Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

We where out east two years ago and made advance reservations for all of our campgrounds. Why? They fill up fast with the caravan excursion that take place in the fall looking at the fall foliage. One camp ground in VT stated that their entire campground was reserved for two entire weeks by a tour company for the fall foliage excursion that were taking place.

So my advice is book your campground reservations in NH, VT and NY if you are planning on camping in the fall.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #6

If you stay into October, be aware that state parks begin closing in mid-October. So do many commercial RV parks.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Ausstar,,,,,,As you do,,,,I also live here in the Austin area,,,,but I was born and raised in the Green Mountains of Vermont. It doesn't matter where you are in northern New England, you're going to be blown away with the colors. Exact days and weeks of the fall months is not predictable, so check on-line for the forecasts of the areas. Full campsites can be a problem and probably will be if you don't reserve ahead of time. We spent the summer and fall of 2008 in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.....don't miss it.....especially the Linn Cove Viaduct at or near the 304 exist on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

My only suggestion is to NOT stay at Gettysburg Campground....we just were there and it is terrible. Enjoy sounds like a lot of fun!
OldSarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #9

We live on the MA/NH border and make a point to visit the Mt Washington Valley every Columbus Day weekend. There are a few campgrounds in the Twin Mountain area that always seem to have space available. Our favorite is Beech Hill. We think the Mt Washington Valley area in some ways blows away the Kangamangus Highway. It's a little less traveled and that may be it's appeal for us. It also has some nice waterfall's if you're into hiking and some of the mountain views of Crawford Notch can be breath taking if hit the foliage just right. Also, be sure to check out the Berkshires in western MA if you have time. They also provide some nice color that lasts a little later than norther NH/VT.

Be aware that most of the campgrounds in MA/NH/VT shut down after Columbus Day and many don't stock their stores after mid September. If you find yourself still in the area after Columbus Day check out Goose Hollow in the Waterville valley area they stay open all year.

Bob Gendron
2016 Coachman Leprechaun 220QB
bagendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausstar View Post
We have a schedule and reservations all the way from Austin on August 24 to arrive in Acadia NP Sept 15th (14 stops). After that, we are winging it...do we need to be concerned with needing to make advance campground reservations after Labor Day and / or what kind of crowds should we expect in the area for the Fall color seekers ?

Our plan is to stay North until the leaves start changing and head back to Texas via Gettysburg and then the Blue Ridge parkway.

Your advice would be welcome! Thanks

Ausstar
Don't know what size rig you have but be aware that New England CGs were made for smaller rigs. If you are over 36' it gets very interesting at times. Also be aware of heights in CGs. Many of them have makeshift electric lines that are about 10'-11' high. It is easy to take one down; I know, I did! Everything in New England is generally "tighter" than out west. Have fun.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #11

I agree with virtually all the above suggestions. New England fall colors are very fickle, it depends entirely about when the first "cold snap" hits the region. That is what triggers the change in color as the deciduous trees all stop producing chlorophyll, and that results in the blooming of colors that are already in the leaves, but are masked by the green during the spring and summer months.

I am not a native New Englander, but I attended Wesleyan University in Connecticut, and grew to love the region and the people. The fall colors will start to appear in the northernmost areas first, then spread southward for up to six weeks until the leaves are gone.

Getting to know the people of new England, especially the "Down-Easters" in coastal Maine, is a special treat. In Maine, you can stop at a McDonalds and purchase a Lobster Sandwich!! Yum!!

In order to prepare yourselves for the way people speak in Maine, I urge you to purchase several of the comedy albums recorded decades ago by "Bert and I". Marshall Dodge and Robert Bryan were students at Yale School of Divinity in the early 1960's, and they recorded at least four albums of New England humor that I listen to on a regular basis to this day. Try their website at bertandI.com.

My family has great historic ties to Gettysburg. My great-great-grandfather, Michael Jacobs, was a professor at Gettysburg College when the Civil War Battle was fought there. His former home is now a National Landmark right in the middle of town. From there, he and his son Henry Eyster, witnessed first-hand the ebb and flow of the battle for three days. Their personal, first-hand accounts of the battle were the first to be published after the rebels retreated. I recommend you take a full day to tour the battlefield, and buy a copy of the CD that gives you a self-guided tour of the entire area.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #12

We visited a wonderful campground in Randolph Center, Vermont. It is called Lake Champagne. Vermont campgrounds, camping in Vermont, Vermont RV Parks Lake Champagne Campground It is a quiet and beautiful CG. The views are amazing! They close mid October. It is located close to highway I-89 and they are big rig friendly.

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #13

Coming home Alexander bay ,1000islands is nice head south on 81 lots of stops in PA and VA
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #14

A stop in Boston is required

Stop in Boston. We were there 4 weeks ago. Visit Boston Common, the old State house, and the site of the Boston Tea Party (Museum and tour). Do it on a weekday, and take the train in to South Station. Every place is walking distance. You'll have a ball.
We were in Gettysburg 6 weeks ago and spent 3 1/2 days and wished we had more time. Take the car audio tour and plan to spend at least a day doing it. Also see the miniature battlefield exhibit that will put everything in perspective battle and day wise. I think it was called the "Diorama". It was amazed!

Regards,
Fred
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by limblips View Post
Couldn't agree more, we just got back from a trip to Lake George NY up in the Adirondacks and it was beautiful!! Stayed at the Lake George Escape RV resort, great place lots of amenities and reasonable prices, just imagine this view in the fall!!! (if I attached the picture correctly )

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4438.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	114674

We also did a trip up to Conway NH just a few weeks ago and stayed at the Beach Family campground, another great place, I little more "rustic" but we had a spot right next to the river and we had some equally nice views...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4307.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	114675

as far as booking sites that time of year, I couldn't say still a newbie at this but I'll probably be competing with you for a site so good luck and
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #16

Another great campground in the white mountains area is Glen Ellis. It is just north of North conway! Beautiful views of the mountains, and lots to do and shop in nearby N. Conway. Cathedral ledge and "Diana's Baths" alone make it worthwhile!
Old 07-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #17

that second picture is from Cathedral Ledge... Pretty easy hike..
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagendron View Post
We live on the MA/NH border and make a point to visit the Mt Washington Valley every Columbus Day weekend. There are a few campgrounds in the Twin Mountain area that always seem to have space available. Our favorite is Beech Hill. We think the Mt Washington Valley area in some ways blows away the Kangamangus Highway. It's a little less traveled and that may be it's appeal for us. It also has some nice waterfall's if you're into hiking and some of the mountain views of Crawford Notch can be breath taking if hit the foliage just right. Also, be sure to check out the Berkshires in western MA if you have time. They also provide some nice color that lasts a little later than norther NH/VT.

Be aware that most of the campgrounds in MA/NH/VT shut down after Columbus Day and many don't stock their stores after mid September. If you find yourself still in the area after Columbus Day check out Goose Hollow in the Waterville valley area they stay open all year.

Ammoonusuc Campground and Tarry Ho Campground in Twin Mt are open all year round. We used to be seasonal there for snowmobiling in the winter. I agree on the Crawford Notch area over the Kanc.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #19

Freecampsites.net. RVparkreview.com. Our iPhone/iPad with data plan are invaluable sites to pre plan/plan on the road. Rest areas: Walmart, Cracker Barrel, major truck fueling-food centers. Google individual states dot.com (dept of transportation) for overmite rest areas. America on the road is amazing for opportunities. Please add your reviews. I find them invaluable😊
Hiker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #20

I like camping for the convenience of a campground. Spending nights and weekends in a parking lot is not my idea fun. I feel a hell of a lot safer In a campground. I am not against emergency overnights in a parking lot but I see a lot of people abusing it with overstaying their welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time