Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

FL Campgrounds

We are heading down to FL in February. Any suggestions on or near the beach, Tampa / St. Pete, Sanibel and St. Augustine. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob F View Post
We are heading down to FL in February. Any suggestions on or near the beach, Tampa / St. Pete, Sanibel and St. Augustine. Thanks for any suggestions.
Others know more about this than I do, but my guess is that if you are talking about THIS February, without having made reservations long ago, there may be slim pickings during Florida's high season.

Maybe others will correct me if I'm wrong.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #3

yep, you're normally find very, very few sites open during the first three months of the year, for obvious reasons...so going 'inland' is going to be the option with the most 'options'....BUT, it's not uncommon for Cancellations to be made available at your favorite parks - call them, get on the list.

also, if you are in Clearwater, drop down to the SAND KEY park where you can find RV parking spots, for $5 per day, and enjoy a full day on the SAND, with food trucks and toy rentals - a great place, including restrooms, bath houses, and dog runs.
or, a little farther north, HONEYMOON Island State Park, which is similar and provides 'pet friendly' parts to the beaches. I've even seen overnight RVs below both ends of the bridge.

For 'RV PARKS' on the beach, or close to it, use google maps overview/satellite and use the search term 'campground' to find many, many RVing options.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

TURTLE BEACH, touches the beach...

and

RED COCONUT, really right on the BEACH!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #5

I know I'm late but just got our TT back from the FR factory. Couldn't make plans until now. Thanks for the suggestions and any others would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
I know I'm late but just got our TT back from the FR factory. Couldn't make plans until now. Thanks for the suggestions and any others would be appreciated.

Check Reserve America 3 times each day, it’s possible you will get lucky and find a cancellation.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:

In St Augustine, Bryn Mawr RV Ocean Resort, on the beach side, sites are tight, but it’s one of our favorite places. Also around St Augustine is North Florida Campground and Ocean Grove, Anastasia State Park.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #8

Fort Desoto is nice park. Near St Petersburg.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #9

We've stayed at Timberlane park in Bradenton. Nothing too special, but, large spots and maybe 20-30 min from beaches.

Stagestop in St Augustine is another no frills place with large spots.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #10

The Daytona 500 and associated events are Feb. 9-16. Daytona Bike Week is Mar. 6-15. Spots as far North as Saint Augustine are extremely difficult to find during these events.

We have had little success in getting into Florida State Parks without making reservations far in advance. We have been successful in getting into some county parks near Tampa that are first come first serve and have stay limits. The staff can usually tell you if they expect vacancies and about what time they fill each day. Once the gnats arrive, getting a site is less of a problem.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #11

Fort desoto is beautiful that time of year it is a pinellas county park o. The beach.
Quote:
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #12

Also Hillsborough river state park in Hillsborough county. Myakka river state park in Sarasota. We have lots of beautiful places to camp. Also siver springs.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #13

Quote:
on or near the beach, Tampa / St. Pete, Sanibel and St. Augustine
You and thousands of other snowbirds are vying for the same desirable beach-side spots, except 95% of the campsites have been reserved for months. The other 5% are first-come, first-serve with a line of campers, many FL natives in front of you...

You will be lucky to find a night here and maybe 2 nights there. Best bet for a long stay in one campground would be Highland Hammock which has like 300 campsites... and about 5-8 primitive sites almost always available, but it is inland.

Also check with E.G. Simmons Regional Park near Ruskin, FL which is a county campground... you may find a spot there.

Your next best bet for a long stay spot might be the state parks in north-central area near the GA border.

Here is a link to another recent thread asking about this winter FL campgrounds that may also have info you can use...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rs-199022.html

Good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #14

E.G. Simmons Regional Park and the two other Hillsborough County campgrounds are first come first serve.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #15

Check out Long Point Campground.

Brevard County Park. Across the street from the Atlantic and on the inland waterway, around Sebastian Inlet. I just looked and they do have some sites available for specific days. Use their reservation listing to find dates and sites available in Feb. Close to the water.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:33 AM   #16

Some suggestions

Check out Hanna Park in Mayport/Jacksonville area. Beautiful park. Also Ft. Desoto near St. Pete opens up 10% of its sites on Friday morning online for the following week. FYI sites will appear and then disappear in about 5 minutes so hit refresh often until they start popping up which takes a few minutes and then grab a site quickly. Finally look into joining boondockers welcome and Harvest hosts. And most parks will have something open on a walk up basis for a few nights. So you may end up moving more than you’d like but you may also discover some places that you never would have had you been booked in long term to just a few parks. Good Luck.
Guinnguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg