Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Florida CG Recommendations

Next year we will both be retired and plan to tow our 35' Rockwood trailer to Florida to escape winter.

We have no idea where to stay. We are open to both east and west coast as long as we can be within driving distance to beaches. All we want are clean quiet campgrounds with full hookups. We plan to move every few weeks so we can check out different places.

Next month we plan to drive (no traier) to Florda to scout out some places for next year.

Any recommendations?

Thanks_
johnsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsent View Post
Next year we will both be retired and plan to tow our 35' Rockwood trailer to Florida to escape winter.

We have no idea where to stay. We are open to both east and west coast as long as we can be within driving distance to beaches. All we want are clean quiet campgrounds with full hookups. We plan to move every few weeks so we can check out different places.

Next month we plan to drive (no traier) to Florda to scout out some places for next year.

Any recommendations?

Thanks_
Do remember this is snowbird season in FL and finding a good CG that isn't booked for months, might be tough. We had to leave Jolly Roger CG in Marathon as they had booked the entire park through March.
Emerald Beach in the FL panhandle is a nice CG close to everything and literally on the water.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

Thanks.

We plan to look thisy year without the traier and make reservations for next year while there.
johnsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #4

I've read where Interstate 4 is the unofficial "frostline". try to stay below it for better weather.

We're not on the coasts but in central FL in Frostproof and this weeks lows at night are in the mid 40's, highs in the 60's. Certainly not cold by northern standards but we'll probably have to put socks & a long sleeve shirt on & maybe even the heat in the morning.

Good luck.
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

Fort DeSoto State Park
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #6

If you want to go to the panhandle, Camp Gulf is great over in Destin, FL. It might get cool on some nights but nothing your heater can't handle. It is right on the gulf. You can get a site directly beach front if you don't have pets with you. No pets allowed on the beaches there. We stayed a couple spots back from the beach and really enjoyed the campground. http://www.campgulf.com

If you're looking Atlantic side, Jetty Beach Campground is worth a stay. This park is directly on the jetty that the cruise ships leave from when heading out to sea. That is something to see. It is also directly beside NASA. That is a good place to tour while staying in the area. http://www.jettyparkbeachandcampground.com

I haven't stayed in the lower Florida areas but I have heard that Blue Water Key campground is top notch. They are all the way south in the Keys so the weather would be nice. I heard about them from fellow campers and online in forums. If you end up there you should let me know if it is as nice as I have heard. http://www.bluewaterkey.net
NF_Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsent View Post

Any recommendations?

Thanks_
Your plans to Move every few weeks during Peak Time might be Quite Pricey to pull off! Good luck in your search! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #8

I prefer the SW coast, but of course, that's where I live. It's quieter and not nearly as traffic intense as the east coast. There are several CGs and resorts, most within 10 miles (or closer) to the beaches. When I want to find a CG in a location I'm not familiar with I use Woodalls.com. If you use their map feature it's easy to finds locations you might be interested in.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #9

For Winter months anything south of Tampa and South of Daytona/ Cocoa Beach are good options. If you look west of I 75 and East of I 95 you will be within minutes of a pretty decent beach in either case.

Rule of thumb...Book Early!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

We are currently staying in Riverside RV Resort between I-75 and Arcadia. Easy on and easy off. Wide roads gets even the biggest rigs in their spots easily. REALLY nice place and during the winter, they seem to cater to snowbirds. Country setting on the Peace River and about 20 minutes from gulf beaches in Clearwater and Venice. As for nearby stores, etc., most anything else you could want is about 4 miles down the road at I-75 exit. Seem to have ocassional vacancies for a week or two during the winter so might fit into your "nomad" plans.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #11

If you don't require full hookups there are several federal, state, and county facilities that are reasonably priced. We are travelers who often move every 1-4 days who occasionally stay in full hookup CGs to charge the batteries ,dump sewage, etc.
A great trip(which we will be duplicating again this year) is starting in SW florida and following the Gulf Coast to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #12

Suggestions to review: Sun & Fun, Sarasota, FL; Myakka State Park, Myakka, FL; River Ranch Resort, River Ranch, FL; Silver Palms RV Resort, Okeechobee, FL and 100's more.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #13

We made reservations for 11 of March this year. We plan to stay a week at Orange Grove Campground in Kissimmee. I just want to get camper all checked out before we start out west, Yellowstone and Alaska. Leave sometime in May

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote