Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Florida/ georgia

Looking for any recommendations on over 55 sites in fla or ga Jan/April quiet would be nice a lot of trees as weel
Pipcoo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

In Georgia, Reed Bingham and Laura Walker state parks. In Florida, Gold Head Branch and Stephen Foster Cultural Center State Parks. Reed Bingham does have some sites with sewer, all have water and electric. The Georgia parks probably will not require a reservation but both Florida parks stay pretty full.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:39 AM   #3

In south GA we stop at Plantation CG near St. Mary, GA----very quiet about 2 miles from I- 95. Our snowbird destination is Suwannee River Rendezvous CG near Mayo, FL---very quiet,nice mgmt and snow birders, wooded area near the river and large open area with nice pool complex, occasional entertainment.

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS🇺🇸
PA-0034-339
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #4

Some of our favorite parks in NE Florida are Fort Clinch and Gamble Rogers. Gamble Rogers is not loaded with trees but the beach front sites are fabulous. Fort Clinch is just barely over the Georgia border in Fernandina Beach. The River Campground sites are all wooded. The Beach ones are no shade. We will only camp at the River Campground.

Finding sites at either are very difficult. Check the ReserveAmerica website frequently.

Other great parks are Blue Spring in Orange City. Delightful in the winter as this is a favorite spot for manatees. The colder the weather, the more manatees will be in the spring. Great place to camp! Silver Springs (formerly known as Silver River) is a great one if you want to spend any time on the water. They have kayaks and canoes to rent or you can bring your own. I honestly have not found any Florida State Parks that I would not frequent again. They are not 55+ but the ones that we have been to (and we have been to quite a few over the last 4 years) do not typically have rowdy children. Even at Anastasia Island two weekend ago, it was very quiet. Not much in the way of amenities but that is not what we are after.

Judi in Jax
JudiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

We travel to GA/FL coasts often during spring and fall. Winter temps are closer to those at home (coastal SE NC) so we winter south of Orlando for a little warmth even though we don't have snow at home.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #6

I stop for a night on the way down to Florida and the way back at the camping world campground at Valdosta, GA. Not the nicest but good enough for one night and only $20.

Last time I stopped they let me stay for free. I stay near the interstate because it's only one night but it looks like they have some nicer spots further away. One good thing is there's always room. They wouldn't even take a reservation, said just park it and pay us on the way out.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well not really knowing your route hard to suggest cg. However just for kicks Fair Harbor cg at Perry, GA off I 75 south is good with shade and also has an honor system should you arrive after hrs. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #8
Herschel

Florida/Georgia

Wondering if anyone could suggest some good campgrounds, private or state/county, that would provide an opportunity for sailing at the campground. could be a lake, bay, or gulf. Probably not the ocean. We travel with a travel trailer and take an inflatable sailboat with us. It is just 8 feet and has a modest sail suitable for mild to moderate winds, but it is fun, and we enjoy it. I prefer a campground that borders on the water so I can just pull the boat up at the campsite or nearby.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #9

Try Blythe Island Regional Park on hwy 301 west of Brunswick and just off I-95 about three miles. All sites have water/sewer/elec and most are shaded.
The CG is right on a large river that goes out to the ocean not too far away. Great marina on the grounds and not but a few miles to fuel/restaurants/truckstops/grocery stores, etc. Make sure you visit St Simons Island and Jekyll Island about 20 miles away.
Also, two large lakes in the CG for fishing/swimming or canoeing. No motors allowed.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #10

Like the boat. Spouse and I were thinking of getting one. He use to like to sail in days gone by.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #11

We stayed a week at Country Oaks cg to explore the area. Took the trolley tour on St Simone's. Planning a trip back either this fall or next spring and will stay at Jekyll for a week. Enjoyed the area and next trip will be a little less exploring and more relaxing. Just not a fan of the fee to get on Jekyll
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #12

North Ga: Ft Mountain has a nice lake, trails and is heavily wooded. Central Ga: Hamburg has all sites on the lake and decently wooded. (might be gators but have yet to see one) South Ga: Reed Bingham has a lake that I fished before but not well wooded.

North Fl: Paynes Prairie has a lake that I have seen sailboats on and well wooded. Central Fl: Rainbow Springs. Name says it all. Big wide clear river for sailing but not as well wooded. South Fl: Lot tougher as most with water are along the coast.

Good luck.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
Herschel

Florida/Georgia

"Try Blythe Island Regional Park on hwy 301 west of Brunswick and just off I-95 about three miles. All sites have water/sewer/elec and most are shaded.
The CG is right on a large river that goes out to the ocean not too far away. Great marina on the grounds and not but a few miles to fuel/restaurants/truckstops/grocery stores, etc. Make sure you visit St Simons Island and Jekyll Island about 20 miles away.
Also, two large lakes in the CG for fishing/swimming or canoeing. No motors allowed."

Thank you. We will put Blythe Island on our short list.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #14
Herschel

Florida/Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
North Ga: Ft Mountain has a nice lake, trails and is heavily wooded. Central Ga: Hamburg has all sites on the lake and decently wooded. (might be gators but have yet to see one) South Ga: Reed Bingham has a lake that I fished before but not well wooded.

North Fl: Paynes Prairie has a lake that I have seen sailboats on and well wooded. Central Fl: Rainbow Springs. Name says it all. Big wide clear river for sailing but not as well wooded. South Fl: Lot tougher as most with water are along the coast.

Good luck.
This is great! Ft. Mountain, Hamburg, Reed Bingham, Paynes Prairie, and Rainbow Springs. I'll add those to Blythe Island. You guys have really come through for us. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #15
Herschel

Florida/Georgia

[QUOTE=dj3spots;1279965]Like the boat. Spouse and I were thinking of getting one. He use to like to sail in days gone by.

Thanks. We are long time sailors (read 9 sailboats over 57 years). I just could not go camping at beautiful bays and lakes and watch other people sailing and me with no boat. It was tricky figuring out how to take a sailboat with a travel trailer. but we found this guy in Massachusetts that has a little business selling inflatable sailboats and sailing rigs to go on them (Sailboats-to-Go), or canoes or kayaks. I am on my third inflatable because I went with cheaper PVC ones for a while, but decided to move up to a better quality inflatable that was repairable. It is made of hypalon, which is what you see in the better quality inflatables like Zodiac. Not a fast sailboat, but not bad either and very stable. Tacks up wind, but takes some getting used to as mine is flat bottomed (some have an inflatable keel running down the centerline) and can slip some with the lateen rig if I don't pay attention to forward speed.They all come with motor mounts on which you can put a small engine or trolling motor. I have done both. Boat and gear pack in the bed of my pickup very nicely.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma26RLSS View Post
This is great! Ft. Mountain, Hamburg, Reed Bingham, Paynes Prairie, and Rainbow Springs. I'll add those to Blythe Island. You guys have really come through for us. Thanks.
Be advised, the ones I posted are along the I-75 corridor, give or take.

Good luck and happy camping.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #17

Off the beaten path but Torreya State Park in northern Florida might be worth a look.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Torreya

In Georgia, check out F.D.R. State Park near Columbus, Georgia.

F.D. Roosevelt State Park | Georgia State Parks
Old 08-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #18

Mistletoe State Park is our favorite go-to CG. Its about 35 miles west of Augusta, GA and just off I-20. Being a state park, it has no sewer, but several dump sites. The huge lake is the main reason we go there AND the fishing is great. You can park your inflatable right up next to your unit.
We like the "west CG area", but if you want to be closer to one of the boat ramps, then the east area would be best. The wear area has full shade on almost all sites, but out on the end of the peninsula is perfect for satellite dishes and full lake views. Lots 70-87 are all on the water.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcoo15 View Post
Looking for any recommendations on over 55 sites in fla or ga Jan/April quiet would be nice a lot of trees as weel
I highly recommend Williston Crossing RV resort in Williston, Florida. It is about thirty minutes from Gainesville and Ocala. Some sites are wooded and some in the open. They stay full for the winter, so you had best call now to see if they have any openings. That time of year is the busiest, as you can imagine. This park is the best park we have ever stayed in, and we will hold our second Florida FROG rally there again in September. One fellow who attended last year and who has traveled quite a lot said it was the best park he has stayed in. They have a pool and other activities. There are two grocery stores in the small town. There are a lot of cultural opportunities available at the University of Florida in Gainesville, as well as sports.

North Florida has a lot of nature activities available too. The park is about 45 minutes from Cedar Key, on the Gulf. State parks abound, but it will be almost impossible to get reservations for that time of year and you can only stay for a few weeks at a time. Look at their website and see what you think. Just search for Williston Crossing RV Resort and you should have no trouble having it come up.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #20

Even if not advertised as 55 and older, most snowbird-type FL resorts will be 55 and older just by demographics.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote