Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #21

Take I-75 to the Wildwood exit. It is just before the turnpike exit. That will put you onto Rt.44 which you can take east to get you to Rt.301 S. I would take Rt. 301 to Rt.471 in Sumterville, Rt. 471 to Rt. 98, Rt.98 to Rt.60, Rt.60 to I-95 in Vero Beach and then I-95 to Port St. Lucie. It might take a little longer and you will miss all the fun of driving through Orlando....
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #22

We have had a SunPass for years. We graduated to the portable version so we can move between motorhome and car. Moves you through the toll plazas much quicker and will pay for itself in cheaper tolls.

There are lots of toll roads and bridges in Fla and the SunPass is accepted at all of them. Also, there is no maintenance charge like the EZ Pass.

I have driven through Atlanta many times and it is always a challenge. I just stay on I75 and remain patient.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #23

I live in Ocala and I'd take I-75 & turnpike, It's not worth cutting over to I-95. IE: Traffic, accidents, bad drivers
metalaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #24

Have lived and camped in Florida for 25+ years and we have never used a toll road while pulling the camper. I would just stay on I-95. We always drive straight thru Jacksonville...not bad at all, just stay alert!
You wouldn't be camping at St. Lucie South COE campground by any chance?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #25

Hey KyDan, You're right, there's is no avoiding Atlanta unless you're coming from NE or NW of I-75. Then you'll have a few choices but that's not the direction you're coming from. I have found the easiest way to go thru Atlanta is getting in the HO lane and staying in that lane ALL THE WAY THRU Atlanta (good for North to South or South to North). Then I would catch the turnpike at Wildwood. As far as the SunPass is concerned, I highly recommend the transponder type. You can take it with you to any other vehicle you may get in the future. The sticker type has to be cancelled once stuck to the window if you get rid of that vehicle. Also, just place the transponder immediately below your window tint, and you're good to go, that's where ALL my passes have been mounted in any vehicle I have or have had. Have a nice stay down here in the Sunshine state.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #26

Just a note about SunPass and EZPass, We have both in fact two units of each, one in the truck and one in DW car that can be moved between cars and trucks. All you have to do is call them and tell them it will be moved between different cars and they will note it, the reason they like to know is they track cars for law enforcement when needed. I read a few weeks ago that they have reached an agreement and starting soon is all they said, they will work together. We travel to FL every year and really like the easy of SunPass, never had a problem.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

We stay off of I75 because of the tolls when towing and we have the suction cup SunPass we use when traveling short distances on I75 and other toll roads when just going out to eat, etc. We travel from Concord, NC down I95 to Jacksonville and the east bypass around Jacksonville. I95 thru J'ville is a nightmare anytime.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I googled and found discussions that indicate the sticker should work on
the aftermarket tint.

I've been to FL numerous times. I've never used the turnpike before.
It's highly unlikely that I will ever visit FL again unless I am driving my truck so the sticker is both cheaper and less hassle.

I've heard that maybe some day the states will get together and honor each others transducers. Wouldn't that be great! I have an EazyPass already!
I'm probably dreaming.... but each new day brings new hope!
I drive thru Atlanta between 10AM and 2PM with no issues unless someone did something stupid and caused an accident but that can happen anywhere.

I drive 75 to the Turnpike even though I live on the east coast in FL. I pick up 528 in Orlando to 95 then home.

If you don't expect to come to Florida again, just stop and pay the toll. When you get to south Florida they have toll by plate where they just take a photo of your tag when you pass thru then mail you a bill. Yes, a little more expensive but sounds like you don't plan to be back often so why buy a pass and fund an account.

Plus, when you get to PT St. Lucie there are no tolls unless on turnpike

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #29

Based on the FAQ on the Sunpass site. You could consider buying the portable transponder and then sell it after your trip...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlranhc View Post
I would recommend I 75. But the last time I drove it they had a speed trap set up with highway patrols for many miles and they were stopping anyone going over the speed limit, even just a little bit. I was not one of them, as I don't tow a trailer at that fast a speed. If you like viewing wildlife, Alligators and birds, go across southern Florida on highway 41.
FLORIDA does not allow speeding tickets for less than 6 mph over the posted speed limit, except for school & construction zones.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #31

Quote:
You're the 2nd person to post this but..... This isn't my 1st rodeo. I've been thru Atlanta several times over the past 15 years.
There isn't much alternative.
You say avoid Atlanta but give no suggestions.

It's not much worse than Nashville lately...

My EzPass won't work in FL.
I appreciate all the input!!
I'll most likely wait until we're close to going and order the SunPass stick on transponder.

Looks like we may have had our last summer day here in the Bluegrass.
It's got me thinking about heading south!
An Alt. route would be Interstate to Chattanooga, Tn then take Hwy 27 south to I-10. We have traveled this wait & nice roads most times speed limit is 65. Yes you do go through some towns but sure beats Slow Atlanta.
Mike
siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyBug View Post
You wouldn't be camping at St. Lucie South COE campground by any chance?
I didn't mean to imply we won't be back to FL!! What I was trying to say was
I expect we'll always be driving my truck when we go there.
I really appreciate all the opinions.
It sounds like either 75 or 95 would get the job done but the majority here are
saying 75 and the toll road.
I'll probably get a stick on sunpass because they are cheap and someone said there is no annual maintenance fee.
My portable EzPass just dinged me for the annual $3 fee and then re-loaded $30.
We'll use it up eventually because we now have 3 toll bridges over the Ohio river at Louisville.
With a transducer it's $2 for a car but $5 for a car/pickup pulling a trailer. Doesn't seem fair to charge 2 1/2 times the car toll for adding a trailer... but it means every time we camp in southern Indiana it costs me $10 for a round trip.

Judy- we are staying 7 days at Phipps Park COE on the canal. We'd be happy to hear any touring suggestions around the neighborhood!! I wanted to bring our kayaks but the lady at the COE office said their might be gators in the canal and my DW vetoed any paddling adventures!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #33

Quote:
we are staying 7 days at Phipps Park COE on the canal. We'd be happy to hear any touring suggestions around the neighborhood!! I wanted to bring our kayaks but the lady at the COE office said their might be gators in the canal and my DW vetoed any paddling adventures!
Here are our friends at Fisheating Creek (just to the SW of Lake Okeechobee off US27) as we kayaked last February:

Please take your kayaks and experience this...it was outstanding!
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
I'll probably get a stick on sunpass because they are cheap and someone said there is no annual maintenance fee.
I don't believe there are any annual fees. I just checked my account and I have not paid an annual fee, or any other maintenance fee, with our portable unit. I have my account set up to auto reload $25 from a credit card when necessary.

My favorite feature of SunPass is the ability to go on line and add a rental car to my account. I used to rent a handicap van and I would just add it's license plate to my account for the period we were in Orlando. They have fairly decent software that even lets you set when the authorization expires, while you're adding it, so you don't need to go back and delete the rental later.

SunPass is a much better deal, and easier to use, than Georgia's Peach Pass. I'm keeping my account activate to use in the Lexus Lanes around Atlanta...and maybe an occasional trip to Florida.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
Here are our friends at Fisheating Creek (just to the SW of Lake Okeechobee off US27) as we kayaked last February:

Please take your kayaks and experience this...it was outstanding!
If Rita was paddling in a little kayak and saw gators ANYWHERE she would literally get out and run across the water just like they do in the cartoons. I'm not kidding.
We also wonder what kind of boat traffic we would encounter in the canal?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #36

Quote:
If Rita was paddling in a little kayak and saw gators ANYWHERE she would literally get out and run across the water just like they do in the cartoons. I'm not kidding.
We also wonder what kind of boat traffic we would encounter in the canal?
Ha...since she's an angel, she may just have those kinds of powers!

I wouldn't expect much boat traffic but my experience is very limited outside of Fisheating Creek where we saw no boat traffic...water was much too skinny in February where we were for boat traffic. I don't know what the water levels may be where you are planning.

BTW, the gators were quite happy to keep their distance...and we didn't find any kayak graveyards...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #37

I will give you some tried and proven advice, DO NOT go the I10 to I95 run. Try US100 south to Bunnel then cut over to your I95. This is an awesome road with some very nice scenery. Make sure your tank is topped off, there is only one town (Starke) with islands big enough for RV's. Safe journey
richard6335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #38

The section of I-95 from Duval County (Jacksonville) to I-4 is Florida’s Death Row. Florida’s I-95 is the most deadly drive in the country. We use other inland roadways when we head south.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...roward-stretch
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We stay off of I75 because of the tolls when towing and we have the suction cup SunPass we use when traveling short distances on I75 and other toll roads when just going out to eat, etc. We travel from Concord, NC down I95 to Jacksonville and the east bypass around Jacksonville. I95 thru J'ville is a nightmare anytime.
I have never known of any tolls on I75 in Fl.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #40

I live just south of Port St Lucie. My first choice would be the Turnpike route. If you have a toll transponder from another state, research if it works on SunPass System. Automatic tolls are cheaper than cash. If not, then I-10 to Jax then south on I-95 is your only other option for interstates. I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the traffic on I-295 on the west side in the mornings. When I drove that way I took the east side of the bypass and it was fine. If it gets too thick, there are plenty of surface roads to use to go around congestion