Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #61

We have two "frogs" going down to the keys May 15-22. We are booked at Blue Water Key. Our friend has a Lexington and we have a Solera. Coming from New Orleans. Looking forward to it as well!!!!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #62

As others have mentioned, I highly recommend Big Pine Key as the people, the entertainment and the location were tops! Great area to watch the sunrise. The price wasn't bad for the area too. They had a great little grocery store in the park that had fresh lettuce and other vegetables and nothing was overpriced like you generally see in these stores. I made my way down to Key West (stayed at Boyds...overpriced but it was close to Key West) and wished I had just explored Big Pine Key more because there was a whole other side! If I go back during warmer weather (was there end of this Jan.) I would go to Bahia Honda State Park as I have read that they have some of the best snorkeling...next time! Have fun and at least visit Big Pine Key....it is really special.
MichelleCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #63

Wonder how Iggy is doing, should be about finished with his trip. Any updates?
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
Iggy, I am a proud native Floridian and wish I was a native Conch too, but alas. Anyway, I go to the Keys often and if you have never been a trip to Key West is nice, but over rated in my book. Bahia Honda State Park is awesome and even better if you have your own boat as I do. I spend most of my time from Bahia Honda SP to Key Largo. Most of the Coral Reefs are in the upper Keys and can be accessed nicely by renting your own boat at John Pennekamp State Park. When we go to the Keys we either stay at Bahia Honda or Pennekamp as a basecamp.

Food, down near Vaca Key, aka City of Marathon I have two place I enjoy. The Sunset Grill on the south side of US 1 at the foot of the 7 Mile Bridge. Bring your baithing suit as they have pool and the food is pretty darn good. The other place for decent bbq and the best darn fried Key Lime Pie is this bbq place. They have a pink pig on a sign and they are on the north side of US 1 just about 1/2 mile before the 7 Mile Bridge.

On Key Largo I like this place called Sundowners and the mahi mahi there is always done well and there is another seafood place near the Yellow Bait Store which is nice too...i think it is called the fish house or something. I have eaten at Key West and nothing sticks out as exceptional. Then again, other than the architecture, I am not a fan of the place.

climate..in the Keys in June you can expect temps in the 80s..no duh, and daily doses of liquid sunshine too. June is one the best times to go as water clarity is often the best in June as cold fronts tend to be gone by then. I would highly suggest renting a boat at John Pennekamp State Park as getting to the reefs is easy from there and navigation is relatively simple. We are contemplating a June Keys trip this year but since we often tow our boat with one car and the camper with the other it gets expensive to go there. The reality of it for me to go to the Keys without my boat is nonsense -lol, so we may go and rent a house to save the gas money of towing two rigs this year because the boat aint staying home. I love to fish and spend time on the reefs. If you have sit on top kayaks the Keys is a great place to adventure. we have even paddled out to a nearshore reef in Islamadora called Hens and Chickens with our kayaks. hope this gives you some nuggets for your trip planning. Tight lines and calm seas....
Hello. I see your a Floridian. I lived in DeLand for some years until I moved north for a job. I have never been to the keys though. I am looking forward to my 1st trip there w/DH. Can you recommend good RV campgrounds and the best beaches in key west for swimming? That's what I love when we're in Fla., is the ocean swimming on the gulf side and relaxing in the sun on the sand. I can't wait to visit this special place. Thank you for any help you can give us.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
Bluewater Key just above Key West is one of the most luxurious spots I have ever see. You have your own dock and Tiki Hut with fridge and bar. Right on the gulf with landscaping between each hut. Heaven . www.bluewaterkey.net
Close enough for restaurants and water sports galore. Full hookups for motorhome A and C's.
Unfortunately, we have a tt and are unable to stay at bluewater key. Do you know of any other rv campgrounds that are priced right to stay in the keys? Thank you for your help.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #66

AnnMarie:
I have only camped in the state parks down there or have stayed in some resort places. I am sorry I don't have any solid suggestions for private RV parks. We are headed down there in June for 2 weeks and we will be at Pennekamp. Beaches are few as the islands are surrounded by mangroves. Pennekamp has a beach Long Key has a beach, Bahia Honda has a great beach and then Key West has a beach. I lived in Orange City before moving to the Smokies. You can send me a pm and I will be happy to share my take on the Keys.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #67

The beaches at Key West are not typical sandy and large. More like rocky on shore and rocky in the water. KW spends millions to bring in sand on barges from off shore reefs as their Atlantic facing beaches erode away quickly. However, their is a quaint (rocky) beach at the navel base that's available for the public. Nice picnic areas and sun bath on large rocks. It is nice, but again not the kind of beach FL is known for.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #68

When do we get to hear what the secret location is?!

We're staying at Curry Hammock, very close to that mile marker!
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #69

Just got back from KW about a week or so ago. Stayed at Boyd's which is about 4 miles from KW. A little pricy but worth the money. Stayed there because we don't tow and friends have a condo there. They would pick us up and we would walk around KW. Had a great time. If you ask around, you can get coupons for Conch Republic Restaurant and you can get 2 for 1 margaritas.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
The beaches at Key West are not typical sandy and large. More like rocky on shore and rocky in the water. KW spends millions to bring in sand on barges from off shore reefs as their Atlantic facing beaches erode away quickly. However, their is a quaint (rocky) beach at the navel base that's available for the public. Nice picnic areas and sun bath on large rocks. It is nice, but again not the kind of beach FL is known for.
Can the public camp at the navel base? Oh, and what's the name of the base? Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
AnnMarie:
I have only camped in the state parks down there or have stayed in some resort places. I am sorry I don't have any solid suggestions for private RV parks. We are headed down there in June for 2 weeks and we will be at Pennekamp. Beaches are few as the islands are surrounded by mangroves. Pennekamp has a beach Long Key has a beach, Bahia Honda has a great beach and then Key West has a beach. I lived in Orange City before moving to the Smokies. You can send me a pm and I will be happy to share my take on the Keys.
What size rv's are acceptable at the state parks?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #72

Anna
We are booked at John Pen ekamp sp and they allow up to a class A are site is 24x50 hope that helps
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony express View Post
Anna
We are booked at John Pen ekamp sp and they allow up to a class A are site is 24x50 hope that helps
Thank you.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #74
MI Camperz

Oh man, I could write a book on the keys. Have been there four times. Weather is nice. Always 10degrees cooler than mainland in the summer and 10degrees warmer than mainland in winter.
Seafood: Take a half day charter with SeaDog Charters near Marathon and catch your own. It's simple reef fishing for yellow snapper, red snapper, grouper, etc. You'll eat fresh seafood all week. Guaranteed. Their rates are cheap and you'll love the boat ride too. They help. You dont have to know anything and they clean your fish too. Or, go to Kings Seafood on Key colony beach, just north of marathon (one of the keys not on the map). All the local fisherman bring their stuff here after their morning fishing. Talk about fresh! It was just caught! Don't pass on the pink key west shrimp. Best shrimp you'll ever eat, just caught too. When you have eaten just-caught pink key west shrimp, you'll never eat the standard grocery store, farm raised stuff again.
Other Food: My favorite stop on the way down is in Key Largo. On your right as you are going through key largo (top key), you'll see a diner looking place in a strip mall with a big sign that says CUBA RESTAURANT. The locals eat here. It's amazing home-made cuban food like chicken, dirty rice, plantains, etc. Don't pass on the Yuca Root with mojo sauce....I swear you'll be in heaven if you like fresh garlic. They have a to-go counter there...Get a couple meals to go. You'll have enough Rice and sides to go with the fish you caught nearly a week. The other land marker besides being on the right in Key Largo is that it is across from the major tourist trappings...the African Queen Boat, Glass Bottom Boat, etc.

Free/Cheap stuff to do:

1. Tavernier Key: Just beyond Key Largo as you're traveling south.
Wild Bird Sanctuary. They rehab birds here. You'll see a ton of beautiful birds. Not just rehabbing ones, but many are attracted here because of the food. It'll be on the right (gulf side). It's a nice walk through a very nautical setting on the gulf. Plan 30 - 60 minutes at most. Free/donation.

2. Islamarada: Still on your way down. Stop at Robbies Marina and buy a bucket of Tarpon Food for a buck or two. Stand on the dock and feed the Tarpon. They are huge, awesome, and prehistoric. They flock to the food. It's fun to watch them. You might buy two buckets of food. Nice place to hang out for a few minutes or little longer and take in marina life in a natural setting. Price: one to two dollars.

3. Grassy Key: Getting closer to Marathon now. Or you can go there seperately. Plan a half day here. General Information for the Dolphin Research Center, Dolphin and Sea Mammal Research
Its the dolphin research center. They have dolphin shows, you learn about dolphins, see dolphins, tour the grounds and dolphin habitats, watch scheduled training, feeding, shows, etc. They are a top notch group of marine biologists, not a circus act. They treat the dolphins well, not abuse them like a circus would. Lovely setting, reasonably priced about $20.00. They have a gift shop too. If you want, you can swim with the dolphins, etc., gets pricey to do that. But $20.00 gen admission is well worth it. Awesome memories.

4. Bahia Honda State Park, Florida Keys Beach, Beaches in the Keys, State Park in the Keys, Florida Keys State Park, Public Beach Florida Parks
Bahia honda state park. Just south of Marathon. They have camping here or you can visit. There aren't many expansive natural beaches in the keys, because of a lot of seawalls. This state park has a beautiful, very expansive beach. It has actually been voted one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. The scenery here is great in general. You can also get a snorkel charter here and probably other touristy things. But if you want a beach day, close to marathon, this is where I'd go.

5. Key Deer.
Go drive around Deer Key. It's a residential/rural key. The most rural of them all. Key deer run around here like crazy, but you won't see them anywhere else in the world. They max out at 2-3 feet high. Don't harrass or feed them. They were once nearly extinct, so the region is very protective of them, understandably. In general, they keys are very protective of all things natural. Free. Plan an hour or longer. We got plenty close to take good pictures. They must be used to people.

Well, I could go on and on about the keys. Just wanted to give you some good ideas for really really fresh seafood and cheap/free things to do that are unique to the keys and take in the nature and views.

I'm jealous. Have a great time and when you get down to key west for a day of pub crawling, have one for me.

Mike and Lynn
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Oh man, I could write a book on the keys. Have been there four times. Weather is nice. Always 10degrees cooler than mainland in the summer and 10degrees warmer than mainland in winter.
Seafood: Take a half day charter with SeaDog Charters near Marathon and catch your own. It's simple reef fishing for yellow snapper, red snapper, grouper, etc. You'll eat fresh seafood all week. Guaranteed. Their rates are cheap and you'll love the boat ride too. They help. You dont have to know anything and they clean your fish too. Or, go to Kings Seafood on Key colony beach, just north of marathon (one of the keys not on the map). All the local fisherman bring their stuff here after their morning fishing. Talk about fresh! It was just caught! Don't pass on the pink key west shrimp. Best shrimp you'll ever eat, just caught too. When you have eaten just-caught pink key west shrimp, you'll never eat the standard grocery store, farm raised stuff again.
Other Food: My favorite stop on the way down is in Key Largo. On your right as you are going through key largo (top key), you'll see a diner looking place in a strip mall with a big sign that says CUBA RESTAURANT. The locals eat here. It's amazing home-made cuban food like chicken, dirty rice, plantains, etc. Don't pass on the Yuca Root with mojo sauce....I swear you'll be in heaven if you like fresh garlic. They have a to-go counter there...Get a couple meals to go. You'll have enough Rice and sides to go with the fish you caught nearly a week. The other land marker besides being on the right in Key Largo is that it is across from the major tourist trappings...the African Queen Boat, Glass Bottom Boat, etc.

Free/Cheap stuff to do:

1. Tavernier Key: Just beyond Key Largo as you're traveling south.
Wild Bird Sanctuary. They rehab birds here. You'll see a ton of beautiful birds. Not just rehabbing ones, but many are attracted here because of the food. It'll be on the right (gulf side). It's a nice walk through a very nautical setting on the gulf. Plan 30 - 60 minutes at most. Free/donation.

2. Islamarada: Still on your way down. Stop at Robbies Marina and buy a bucket of Tarpon Food for a buck or two. Stand on the dock and feed the Tarpon. They are huge, awesome, and prehistoric. They flock to the food. It's fun to watch them. You might buy two buckets of food. Nice place to hang out for a few minutes or little longer and take in marina life in a natural setting. Price: one to two dollars.

3. Grassy Key: Getting closer to Marathon now. Or you can go there seperately. Plan a half day here. General Information for the Dolphin Research Center, Dolphin and Sea Mammal Research
Its the dolphin research center. They have dolphin shows, you learn about dolphins, see dolphins, tour the grounds and dolphin habitats, watch scheduled training, feeding, shows, etc. They are a top notch group of marine biologists, not a circus act. They treat the dolphins well, not abuse them like a circus would. Lovely setting, reasonably priced about $20.00. They have a gift shop too. If you want, you can swim with the dolphins, etc., gets pricey to do that. But $20.00 gen admission is well worth it. Awesome memories.

4. Bahia Honda State Park, Florida Keys Beach, Beaches in the Keys, State Park in the Keys, Florida Keys State Park, Public Beach Florida Parks
Bahia honda state park. Just south of Marathon. They have camping here or you can visit. There aren't many expansive natural beaches in the keys, because of a lot of seawalls. This state park has a beautiful, very expansive beach. It has actually been voted one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. The scenery here is great in general. You can also get a snorkel charter here and probably other touristy things. But if you want a beach day, close to marathon, this is where I'd go.

5. Key Deer.
Go drive around Deer Key. It's a residential/rural key. The most rural of them all. Key deer run around here like crazy, but you won't see them anywhere else in the world. They max out at 2-3 feet high. Don't harrass or feed them. They were once nearly extinct, so the region is very protective of them, understandably. In general, they keys are very protective of all things natural. Free. Plan an hour or longer. We got plenty close to take good pictures. They must be used to people.

Well, I could go on and on about the keys. Just wanted to give you some good ideas for really really fresh seafood and cheap/free things to do that are unique to the keys and take in the nature and views.

I'm jealous. Have a great time and when you get down to key west for a day of pub crawling, have one for me.

Mike and Lynn
Very informative. Thank you for all the great ideas. I can't wait to go.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #76
MI Camperz

Make sure you let us know about your trip when you get back. I forgot to mention. Key west is very crowded. It's a crawl trying to get through traffic, but a blast to go pub crawling or see historical sites. To tour key west, we rent scooters just as we get into town. Get around much quicker. It's fun too! Beep Beep...coming through!
Mike and Lynn
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #77

Is this for Motor Homes only or are fifth wheels allowed?
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Make sure you let us know about your trip when you get back. I forgot to mention. Key west is very crowded. It's a crawl trying to get through traffic, but a blast to go pub crawling or see historical sites. To tour key west, we rent scooters just as we get into town. Get around much quicker. It's fun too! Beep Beep...coming through!
Mike and Lynn