Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #1

Florida State Rv Campgrounds

Going to Fl next winter. FR3 32DS (34' DS Class A, 2017. Looking for a state rv campground for a couple of weeks. I believe there is a demarcation line somewhere south of Orlando so we can have warmer temperatures. Looking for central or gulf side areas. Not all the way to the keys. Biking, kayaking, hiking, wildlife watching. Don't need beaches but nice campground settings. I'd love hear your suggestions.
Busboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Always Learning

We personally really like the Sarasota/Venice Beach area. We spent 2 Christmases in a row at Royal Coachman RV Resort in Nokomis, FL. In 2017, we spent 2 weeks there. In 2018, we ponied up for the whole month ($1,075, I think it was).

Miami has a really nice county/city park called Larry and Penny campground. Not sure when you want to spend a couple of weeks, but it could be hard to get into.

In the Orlando area, we like Lake Magic and Tropical Palms. We've spent quite a bit of time at both using our Thousand Trails/Trails Collection membership.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #3

Thanks
Old 02-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Salt Springs Recreational Area, Fort McCoy, Florida
Anastasia State Park, Saint Augustine, FL
Long Point Park, Melbourne, FL
Fort DeSoto, Saint Petersburg, Florida
Hillsborough River State Park
Silver Springs State Park, Ocala, Florida
Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Stuart, FL
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:46 PM   #5

After researching a little more, I'm looking into south of Sarasota on the west side. I think it might be warmer in February than Orlando? I'm sorta looking into Oskar Scherer State Park, near Osprey, Fl. Has anyone stayed there? I'll look into the ones you mentioned that are in these areas. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #6

We camped at Oscar Scherer SP quite a few years ago. I recall that the sites were fairly private but it was tight getting into them. They have a nice canoe run from the campground out into the intercoastal waterway. The last time we camped there it was with the scouts and the raccoons were aggressive, they worked their way into our "locked" coolers and made off with two dozen eggs. The raccoons are really bad at Fort DeSoto county park. They are so bad that they'll just stand there while you try shooing them away. The only way the park has been successful in keeping them out of the garbage bins is to make the bins with heavy steel lids.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #7

Now that is something I would never had heard about. Sounds like a scene out of the "Great Outdoors" movie with the racoons.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
The raccoons are really bad at Fort DeSoto county park. They are so bad that they'll just stand there while you try shooing them away. The only way the park has been successful in keeping them out of the garbage bins is to make the bins with heavy steel lids.

??? Just spent a week there late January. They have regular wheeled 60 gallon garbage bins every few sites around the CG. We saw some big raccoons at night but did not notice any strewn garbage around any of the bins. Tent camping is another story but in an RV we were just fine and will go back.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
??? Just spent a week there late January. They have regular wheeled 60 gallon garbage bins every few sites around the CG. We saw some big raccoons at night but did not notice any strewn garbage around any of the bins. Tent camping is another story but in an RV we were just fine and will go back.
Thanks (to Ortep as well).

We're stopping at Oscar Scherer for a few days on our way back north next month.

Love this site
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

I live in south Florida and camp regularly in state parks...I've camped in about 8 Florida parks and haven't run across a bad one yet. I've attached the site I use to search and book from. You'll have to do your research if you want to find one with sewer hook up. Not many have it.
Myaaka River State Park has sewer is just east of Sarasota and is wonderful.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/search
Old 02-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #11

Oscar Scherer is very nice and conveniently located right off Tamiami Trail. Like all Florida State Parks, you have to make your reservation exactly 11 months to the day before you arrive. No all the sites can handle a 34 footer, so that limits your choice even more. Our second choice in that are would be Myakka State Park, a little further north, and further inland, but also very nice.
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathcartww View Post
Oscar Scherer is very nice and conveniently located right off Tamiami Trail. Like all Florida State Parks, you have to make your reservation exactly 11 months to the day before you arrive. No all the sites can handle a 34 footer, so that limits your choice even more. Our second choice in that are would be Myakka State Park, a little further north, and further inland, but also very nice.
I'll check it out, ty

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #13

Stayed at Collier Seminole in January. Thought it was pretty good. About 20-30 minutes to both Marco Island and Naples. The best beach access was in Naples. You go along south of downtown on Gulf Shore Blvd and there are short streets off of it with pay parking. It was $2.50 an hour. Very short walk to beach. Beach was not very crowded at all.
LarrysPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #14

For the most part, the raccoons are gone at Ft Desoto. The change from the old garbage cans to the new large containers has discouraged the critters to go elsewhere.

One major problem we have in Florida with the wildlife is that people think it's really cool and cute to feed them. Please don't feed them. Gulls, heron, raccoons, squirrels and alligators change dramatically when they lose their fear of humans. They become a nuisance as anyone who has stayed near the beach or fresh water areas of Florida could attest to.
All the above state parks are awesome. We've been to most of them.
Alafia River is a small but nice park along with Highlands Hammock SP. Near Sebring.

Have a great time!
Old 02-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #15
OYO

RE Collier-Seminole: it's interesting. We'll be making our 2nd stay there in March.

The campground is unspectacular, but there's lots to do. A nice Hammock Canopy trail, kayak/canoe rentals, boat ramp, fishing, bike rentals, Airboat rides.

Just down the road there's a small community called Goodland, just before Marco Island. It's pretty much the polar opposite of Marco Island. Mom and pop restaurants, bars, seafood store, live outdoor music on the weekends.

Plus Everglades City is just 30 minutes down Tamiami Trai. It's like stepping back to the '60s. Good and bad.

That might be further than you had planned, but it will be warm!
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
RE Collier-Seminole: it's interesting. We'll be making our 2nd stay there in March.

The campground is unspectacular, but there's lots to do. A nice Hammock Canopy trail, kayak/canoe rentals, boat ramp, fishing, bike rentals, Airboat rides.

Just down the road there's a small community called Goodland, just before Marco Island. It's pretty much the polar opposite of Marco Island. Mom and pop restaurants, bars, seafood store, live outdoor music on the weekends.

Plus Everglades City is just 30 minutes down Tamiami Trai. It's like stepping back to the '60s. Good and bad.

That might be further than you had planned, but it will be warm!
Thanks but it is a little farther down I-75 than we wanted to go. 10 to 12 hrs from Charlotte, NC will be about our limit for a 2 week stay. Some day I would love to go down to that area, the Everglades and the Keys, but right now I'm trying to stay south of Bradenton, FL within our travel time.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #17

Do the Fla State Parks allow dogs now? Years ago, they didn't.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #18

It looks like some do at least. But one thing I noticed when looking at campsites near rivers was that they didn't want any children or animals at those sites. I figure that means alligators!
Old 02-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #19

Three good choices in the area you are suggesting are Myakka River SP near Sarasota, Hillborough River SP near Tampa and Highlands Hammock SP near Sebring. I love all three. They are among the oldest parks in the state, well developed with much to do.
reluctantrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #20

We spent several nights at Torry Island Campground near Belle Glade. It was not as cramped as many. You can access Lake Okeechobee by water from the campground, but you can't see open water.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida