Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #1

Fort Wilderness or Thousand Trail Orlando

I'm planning a trip to Walt Disney Resort during Spring Break this year (Doesn't mean I will make it there). Was just curious if any one stayed at both and what their suggestions would be.

As a member of thousand trails, I shouldn't have to pay for a site as Orlando is with-in my zone. I also know that there are benefits to staying at Fort Wilderness. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
Always Learning

I have stayed at both. I've only been at Ft. Wilderness a single night. I'm also a member of a Fort Fiends site that is a wealth of information.

It's really hard to compare the two. Being on property at the Fort has the advantages of using Disney's transportation. You don't have to park ($20/day unless your an annual pass holder, I think). However, it's expensive.

There are a few levels of sites- from partial hookups to two different levels of full hookup sites (proffered vs. premium, I think the terms are). The preferred sites have a paved driveway with crushed shells at the back. This stuff can track into your camper. They're generally a bit smaller with tighter entrances than the premiums. The premiums are bigger and all paved. There's a price difference, of course.

The areas that I saw were generally forest-like with trees.

Thousand Trails is a great park. I've been there twice. First at Christmas 2012 and more recently this past summer for 3 of 4 1/2 weeks (we had to do a week out). It's fairly open with not a lot of tree coverage. Most sites are 30amp with a smattering of 50amp sites throughout. All of the sites have full hookups.

I generally expect the drive to take 40 minutes to get to anything Disney related. Plus, you have to pay for parking. They're good about handling big trucks- my dually has never been a problem (except parking at Downtown Disney can be cozy- especially with all of the construction that they have going on right now).

Do you have any specific questions?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

IMO...if you are vacationing for Disney exclusively, staying at the Fort Wilderness campground is the route to take.
Great campground with many features and activities that are an extension of the Disney attitude/appeal.

Though it's very busy during the spring break months, campground is spacious enough that it doesn't feel claustrophobic and you can use all the amenities without being discouraged by the crowds

Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
IMO...if you are vacationing for Disney exclusively, staying at the Fort Wilderness campground is the route to take.
Great campground with many features and activities that are an extension of the Disney attitude/appeal.

Though it's very busy during the spring break months, campground is spacious enough that it doesn't feel claustrophobic and you can use all the amenities without being discouraged by the crowds

I agree wholeheartedly,, but $100+ per night vs. $0 per night is a hard choice.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the info Cajun and Ependydad. I have done the research concerning the costs of staying at Fort Wilderness as well as the advantages. Also looked at the cost of parking if I stayed at Thousand Trails. Just need some personal experiences (transportation, dining, and general information).
Old 01-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #6

Cost wise stay at TT, full affect stay at Fort Wilderness. Spring break might already be all booked up at the Fort, TT will be starting to empty out as the snow birds start their migrate elsewhere.
There are some short cuts and back roads you could take to get to Disney but kind of hard to explain I am sure someone there could show you how to do it, but keep in mind traffic WILL be heavy!!!!!
I would also second checking out Fort Fiends site lots of great info and folks there, plus they have a travel agent that seems to work MAGIC getting sites when others can not, he is a advertiser on the board so finding him will be easy if needed. Good luck and enjoy.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #7

we stayed at Ft Wilderness in Oct. for the first time. It definitely had advantages, free transportation to the parks, pool with small spray park for the kids, decent buffet restaurant at Ft Wilderness, access to other hotels and character dining without park admission, horse back riding available, character and movie nights. We were there as a comfort station for the grand kids who with their parents stayed off site. In Oct. the rates are good +/- $70 in comparison to other times of the year. When we go back again we will probably stay at Ft Wilderness. Good Luck!!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for their inputs. I am leaning towards staying at Fort Wilderness. Next question with-out starting a new thread. Has any one purchased a dining plan while camping at Disney? And if so, what plan? Again leaning towards the quick meal plan.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #9

Fort wilderness the $ is worth it !

Dee and I have stayed there many times as is only a few hours drive, and we always marvel at the beauty and yes peacefulness of the place( pet section). So YES make yourself a memory for life! Fishing is great too! Lacy&Dee
BIG LACY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #10

Yes we got the dining plan once the one with a counter service, a table service and the snack, we felt it was to much food but we did enjoy it.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #11

We love Fort Wilderness and stay there maybe 8 times a year. Some spots, depending where the cement recycle bins, garbage pails, and park vehicles in the opposite driveway can be tough to negotiate. We prefer the more expensive Premium sites (no sand). The less expensive sites have lots of messy sand. We tried to book our stay in March and they are already fully booked. Food is expensive but the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue is well worth the price. Not just for kids but adults too. Never tried the food plan. We do a park in the morning, back to the coach for lunch and to let the dog out and dinner at a park.
Bus transportation is excellent. 3 bus routes in the Fort to either the main bus station or to the Magic Kingdom Ferry boat or boat to the Contemporary hotel where you can catch a monorail. It's a good walk from the Contemporary dock to the monorail. They also do outdoor movie and spoors. Its a bunch of benches and feels like a drive-in movie
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #12
2014 Berkshire 360QL

Fort Wilderness

I was not aware you could purchase a dining plan when staying at Fort Wilderness. Where do you go to purchase the plan?
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
I was not aware you could purchase a dining plan when staying at Fort Wilderness. Where do you go to purchase the plan?

It's all online when you make the reservation. The lodging, park tickets, and dining plans are all presented.

I've only done the dining plans when staying at resorts. My guess is that we would still do one when camping as we like to spend as much time in the parks and using all that Disney has to offer vs. cooking and cleaning up from it (even if it costs quite a bit more). We are going to WDW for a week in Feb and are flying/hoteling it; my wife says she's looking forward to NOT having to cook or cleanup from it and whatnot while we are there.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #14
2014 Berkshire 360QL

WDW Dining Plan

We have been going to WDW every year for the past five years and except for last year (2014) have always stayed at Fort Wilderness. Travel agents that we have used have even called WDW to find out about the dining plan while at Fort Wilderness and the answer was always, not available for those staying at the campground. Last year was our first trip staying in a WDW resort other than Fort Wilderness and we did the dining plan which was fantastic. Since it was a last minute decision on our part, we had to settle for a resort that had an opening with the dining plan. They only have so many rooms available at each resort which include the dining plan. Not all rooms are eligible for the dining plan. If you have information available that indicates you can have the dining plan while staying at Fort Wilderness, please let me know for future reference.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
Always Learning

Ahh, ok- I see that I didn't answer the question you asked. Sorry about that.

I honestly don't know about dining plan availability for the Fort.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #16

You can buy the dining plan when staying at Fort Wilderness, you can not get the FREE Dining plan when booking a site only if staying in the cabins. You can usually book it online when you book your site.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #17

If it makes $$$$$, it's Disney

Just spent a week at Ft Wilderness over Christmas. A non premium site was all I could get and there were plenty of them vacant during our stay.
The site was $130 a night and came with a tropical view where we were bait for the 10 million evening and morning mosquitos! Site was soooo tight, that it took me over 1 hour to get past the trash cans, a strategic tree right in my truck turn radius! A neighbor took two hands and pulled the water hook up back so I could clear it. Ohhh, use the other side of the site when backing, try again. Tree was blocking my turn and was less than 1 inch from my truck (and I have a short box).
This was not our first rodeo at Ft Wildnerness. The site was not adequate for a 37ft fifth wheel plus truck. Next time, no premium site, I will say no thank you!
Oh, they came around and offered me a different site IF we took our rig out of the park and then came back around and got into line again or unhooked and drove around and found a spot. Soooo, accommodating for guests. I guess that is precisely why it is the home of MICKEY MOUSE!
We could not use our entire pad due to the back in restrictions as stated. Our chairs sat in the mulch. All for the pleasure of $130 a night.
We had a group of 14. 11 of whom were staying at the Shades of Green military hotel owned by the US Army. They had 3 rooms for $95 each room and free transportation.
We DID have a good time in spite of the camping and have been there in Ft Wilderness before (our spot was better for access). Our 5er was a LOT smaller, 36ft vs huge 37ft. (same truck).
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #18

Ohhhh trash cans

For those wondering why not move the cans, well, they DO NOT MOVE. They are anchored deep in concrete and surrounded by dirt for affect! They literally pick the garbage out by hand daily. What a plan!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #19

Just got off the phone with Walt Disney. You can purchase the dining plan while staying at Fort Wilderness when you make your reservations. As per reservation assistance, your points are activated at check-in and you can use them till 11:59pm on the last day of your stay.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #20
2014 Berkshire 360QL

WDW Dining Plan

I was told you can get the dining plan at Fort Wilderness if you stay in a cabin but not in an RV site. I am going to the WDW web site and see what they have to say. All the written literature I have indicates that NO meal plan when staying at Fort Wilderness RV sites.