Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #1

Go or No to Florida this winter Tampa area

We winter Jan thru April in Bradenton,just south of Tampa,I don't have much for local contact there and wonder what's going on with covid , and such.I`m fine sitting on the beach .Anyone already there and give me a heads up??
Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #2

I'm further south in Charlotte County. I can't say for Bradenton and north, but it's not really bad in SWFL overall, but don't bring it with you.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.Iowa is trending down slowly , should be good in a few weeks when we are set to leave, and I'm a doc so I should get the vaccine early since I work in our urgent care and covid clinic.Ive tested neg a time or two .I`m ready for a break from this however.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #4

I am from NY but in Leesburg for a funeral and have seen plenty of rv's if that helps. Haven't noticed license plates though.
wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

Florida is not much different than anywhere else as far as I can tell. The Virus numbers are going up just about everywhere, and there are restrictions and mask requirements no matter where you are.

The RV park we are in has limited activities with number limits, our pot luck’s have been cancelled, our Christmas dance will be held on the tennis court so we can keep our distance. We go for our Bike rides or walks as we always have, it’s just that when we stop to chat along the way we stay further apart than we used to. That is probably the case anyplace you go.

You can sit up north in the house and look out at the cold or you can come down and still be able to do some of the things you normally do, including sitting on the beach, it is not the same as in past years but it is not bad.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #6

Thats good advice . Im already cold and bored .You all have helped me make a decision to come.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
Thats good advice . Im already cold and bored .You all have helped me make a decision to come.

We spent a week in TN and just finished a week north of Ocala, FL. We're on our way to Naples for December and will be in Bradenton for January and February. It's as others wrote here.

There was 8" of snow overnight at home so yeah, we're happier here.

Ray
Old 12-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #8

We've been in Florida since early September. masks are not mandated statewide, but some counties and cities may require masks indoors. wife and I are senior citizens and haven't had any problems. the death rate is 1% or less! case rate is kinda irrelevant. just about all is open for business here in SE Florida. Regards.
wecoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #9

We live in Sun City Center just south east of Tampa.
I think you will be ok nothing is shutdown.
Just like any where else just be safe and wear your mask. We go out to eat often and no issues.
Come on down and enjoy your self.
03 Electra Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #10

Originally from Mass. We now live in Port Charlotte minutes from Boca Grande. Like everyone has mentioned you just have to be safe. We were going to head to Mass. For the summer into Oct. But played it safe and stayed here. We did some trips up to TN. and other places but again stayed safe. Nice thing about camping you can isolate most of the time yet enjoy the change of venue. Come on down enjoy the winter in the sun especially the beaches, it can only help after this year.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for your help. I got ahold of my Rv park office and the pool and pickle ball and gym are open with usual restrictions etc. Now with some great local information I’m much more at ease to roll on down. Thanks for all your input. This is such a helpfull forum ����
Old 12-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #12

Lotsa Pickleball tourneys down there coming up too in the next few months...got the new PicklePlex in Punta Gorda...Picktona in Daytona and Recreation Plantation Tourney by the Villages in February for starters...come on down & dink!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We plan to leave for FL in a couple weeks. We'll stay until April.
Our campground has indicated (as others have said) some things closed (pool/hot tub) but other things open with restrictions. My brother lives in FL and their experiences with various statewide activities are much different than here in PA.

Like everyone else... even if we can only sit in our recliners, on our patio in front of our R/V, it will be way better than sitting in the house looking out at the cold and snow and wishing we were somewhere else! We'll take our eBikes again and enjoy the riding.

We got 6" of snow last night and it is blowing like all get out. We're hoping for several days of better weather between now and a couple weeks so we can get out!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
ARLO

Quote:
We winter Jan thru April in Bradenton,just south of Tampa,I don't have much for local contact there and wonder what's going on with covid , and such.I`m fine sitting on the beach .Anyone already there and give me a heads up??
We canceled our plans. We were going to say just west of Kissimmee but we’re just gonna hunker down here for the winter.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #15

We have lived in Bradenton in the past. Because Bradenton and Sarasota are sister cities, you have to consider both in the Covid 19 count. Problem is, both are in different counties, so the count is deceiving. Sarasota County also has string of smaller towns and North Port. Below is a site giving the daily tallies in Florida by county.

As of today,Covid 19 cases by county: Manatee County 16,860 cases, 374 deaths; Sarasota County 13,763 cases, 389 deaths; Charlotte County 5,089 cases, 197 deaths. Punta Gorda is in Charlotte County. Overall, Florida has 999K cases and 18,596 deaths.

https://www.google.com/search?client...rida+by+county

We have a mobile home in Parkhill Estates, Punta Gorda, FL. They have RV sites available that are normally filled with returning folks. These sites back up to a canal and are near the clubhouse that has showers and laundry, as is the pool. Some of them have bought homes in the park, so it is an indication of the quality of the park. People in the park treat the RVers as if they were home owners. Rates are very fair. Publix and Home Depot are within walking distance. Aldis, and Walmart are about a mile and Rt 75 is about 3 miles. You can fish out your back door or common areas of the park. There are some great beaches from Boca Grande north along the coast and Fort Myers beaches to the south..

About Us – Park Hill

https://www.google.com/search?client...rkhill+estates
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #16

Could you put a "Florida Weather Bubble" over our cabin in Missouri ? I love it there, but some Florida weather would be a nice touch.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Could you put a "Florida Weather Bubble" over our cabin in Missouri ? I love it there, but some Florida weather would be a nice touch.
Its going to get a little cool tonite maybe get down to 40o tonite and only 60s tomorrow but unlike NE where I come from its not cold for months and overall its still nice and warm 99% of the winter...
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for the info.Iowa is trending down slowly , should be good in a few weeks when we are set to leave, and I'm a doc so I should get the vaccine early since I work in our urgent care and covid clinic.Ive tested neg a time or two .I`m ready for a break from this however.
Thanks Cuda for your work in Urgent Care and Covid Clinic. I admire the medical community for their dedication during this pandemic. I just wish more people would listen to people in your profession instead of .............. Well enjoy Florida and get some rest.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #19

Our staff is very dedicated but we’re getting pretty tired. I only work part time, retired and then called in to help.Im ready for a little rest. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #20

Fl or NO

We are in Indian Rocks now and people are just going about their business and enjoying themselves wearing mask indoors.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, winter