Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrlyguy2 View Post
Try to find a bank with security boxes to store it .
Best idea yet.
Anyone in Maine over 21 can carry concealed without a permit.
It is legal to conceal carry into a bank in Maine.
Only problem will be if they require you to have an account with the bank, and the fact that they usually don't rent a box for less than 6 months so it might cost 25-30 buck.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I carry. When we did the FROG Rally in Niagara Falls, I shipped mine to the campground where we planned to spend our first night back in the states. I had made a reservation and asked if I could ship a box them and would they hold until my arrival. Sure, no problem was the answer.

I had to ship it UPS overnight in a locked case and no ammo. I had to take it to the local UPS office and show them it was in a locked case and no ammo. It was packed in a cardboard box.

It all worked out perfectly, I just had to buy some ammo after I picked it up at the campground. The campground did not know or care what was inside the package.

I would never try to sneak a weapon into Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Am I reading that you shipped a gun to someplace, a non ffl? Maybe I am misreading,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #23
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Best idea yet.
Anyone in Maine over 21 can carry concealed without a permit.
It is legal to conceal carry into a bank in Maine.
Only problem will be if they require you to have an account with the bank, and the fact that they usually don't rent a box for less than 6 months so it might cost 25-30 buck.
The gun shop would prob charge for the service a similar amount I bet. .

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #24

I would like to make a couple of points, and I make these points from a position of being an FFL dealer. The very first suggestion was the best one, but there could be a problem which I will discuss in a moment. Just do a google search for FFL dealers in the area first. Once you get an agreement, get a name. When you drop the gun off get a receipt. When you pick the gun up, you will have to fill out a form 4473 and submit to a background check. Make sure you can pass that background check. Sometimes just a delay will wreck your trip. The NICS check is rife with "delays" in recent months.
Before you leave home, make sure you have the name and address and FFL number of a shop near your home. In case of a delay, you can have it shipped there for a more convenient transfer. Might cost a few bucks for S&H, but most quality firearms are worth it.
I read a post where someone shipped a gun to themselves. Federal offense for handguns. I would recommend against this.
Be aware of all handgun laws in states that you will travel through.
Hope this helps
Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #25

Personally, being a certified firearms instructor for many years, I would never go anywhere that required me to be unprotected. I would stay south of the border and enjoy Maine as it is a beautiful state to camp. I used to fly floatplanes on the lakes up there.
There are soooo many places to go in the USA where you are allowed to have firearms.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #26

America does have some beautiful country doesnt it?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Amen to that. I am amazed even just what I've seen in our own state of PA! Let alone the rest of this fine country!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Handguns are prohibited weapons while long guns (single-action rifles and shotguns) are restricted weapons.

You cannot bring the prohibited weapon into Canada no-way, no how. If you forget and have it with you at the border, best to still declare it and the friendly agent will appreciate that and either take it away for destruction or allow you to turn around. If you have, don't declare and its found, you will be going to the pokey. Since the advent of data sharing, even if you don't have it if you get sent to secondary inspection it may show up on your file and you will be asked where it is.

You can bring in the restricted long guns as long as the paperwork and fee has been done in advance and its properly declared and stored.
Not entirely true.

NON Restricted: Long rifles (semi auto 18.5"+ long and single shot/manual repeaters of all length) also including shotguns

Restricted: hand guns, Long rifles (semi auto 4.14-18.5" long) and any other non prohibited firearm that can fold to less than 26"

Prohibited: Handguns with barrels less than 4.14", full/semi-auto handguns

Granted his weapon is not of the prohibited type, he can most certainly take his handgun across the border, but its not going to be easy.

You'd have to apply for a non-restricted PAL, then the restricted PAL, then fill out a pile of paperwork to transport the weapon across the border. and to top it off, youd have to find a gun range somewhere along your journeys path, apply for membership there as they will very likely deny your weapons entry if their isnt a specific purpose for bringing it into the country.

Hell, we arent even allowed to transport our handguns around our own country unless it is going to and back from a gun range.

I would still recommend just leaving it behind, its not worth the hassle....
Old 02-07-2016, 10:39 PM   #29

We don't allow hand guns in Canada.

Sun seeker 2009 2600 Ford V10
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #30
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
Not entirely true.

NON Restricted: Long rifles (semi auto 18.5"+ long and single shot/manual repeaters of all length) also including shotguns

Restricted: hand guns, Long rifles (semi auto 4.14-18.5" long) and any other non prohibited firearm that can fold to less than 26"

Granted his weapon is not of the prohibited type, he can most certainly take his handgun across the border, but its not going to be easy.

You'd have to apply for a non-restricted PAL, then the restricted PAL, then fill out a pile of paperwork to transport the weapon across the border. and to top it off, youd have to find a gun range somewhere along your journeys path, apply for membership there as they will very likely deny your weapons entry if their isnt a specific purpose for bringing it into the country.

Hell, we arent even allowed to transport our handguns around our own country unless it is going to and back from a gun range.

Thanks for the info!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooming View Post
We don't allow hand guns in Canada.

Sun seeker 2009 2600 Ford V10

please dont spread false information. Handguns are most definitely legal in canada unless they fall into the prohibited category (even then, its possible to posses a prohibited gun legally)

But, their is little use of having a handgun here. the only legal use is to go target practice at the range. Short of that, if you get caught packing it around when not transporting to or from the range youll have some questions to answer! god forbid you ever have to discharge it in self defence, youll be made to look like more of a criminal than the guy that tried to kill you LOL
Old 02-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #32

Doc, I've not traveled extensively, and I'm sure that most on here have seen much more than I, but I've seen such beauty from the Louisiana swamps to the mountains of Washington State. America holds such beauty, that I'm sure I'll never scratch the surface of seeing it. I just like knowing its there. I would love to go to the northeast sometime, and I want to spend a week at the Smithsonian. Maybe this should be another thread...lol
Old 02-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #33

Okay, this might be an option. Find an FFL dealer in Maine. Call them and ask if they do gun cleaning. Drop the gun off. They will give you a claim ticket. (Don't lose it!). When you get back, they will swap you the gun for the claim ticket and their charge for cleaning. You get the gun stored, get it back clean, and 4473 not required. But verify this with the shop first. They have the right to do background checks on anyone who walks out with a firearm.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #34

Thats probably the best idea. IF you can drop it off before you cross the border, pay a few bucks for cleaning, then pick it up on your way back...

Sounds like a cheap and secure solution to me, and no BS to deal with!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Okay, this might be an option. Find an FFL dealer in Maine. Call them and ask if they do gun cleaning. Drop the gun off. They will give you a claim ticket. (Don't lose it!). When you get back, they will swap you the gun for the claim ticket and their charge for cleaning. You get the gun stored, get it back clean, and 4473 not required. But verify this with the shop first. They have the right to do background checks on anyone who walks out with a firearm.
That is an excellent and extremely logical idea.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #36

Davidg,very good Idea! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 11:18 PM   #37

Need to be careful transporting guns through state of CT and NY. Even with the federal interstate carry/transport rules these states can be tricky.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
Not entirely true.

While that all might be true... The OP never said what he is carrying. Between my Khar and glock CC guns none have a barrel over 4.14" so they are prohibited. Typically only target shooting guns have barrels that long, not concealed carry / self defense guns.

Edit: I did look, my full size gun would be over the 4" length but I would not be carrying it.

I do like the idea of the gun cleaning, just make sure of what their policy is for pickup. It only takes and hour for me to strip and ultra sonically clean my glock a bit longer for long gun... Make sure they do not "dispose" of your un claimed gun after 3 days or something ridiculous.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #39

Pawn it. Pick it up on return.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #40

Doc73:

I shipped it via UPS next day service to a campground in PA. That was summer of 2013. I had reviewed all the issues on the UPS website and even called them. It was all legal.

I also called the campground in advance and even though I did not tell them what was in the box they were 100% okay with it.

The law may be different now, but in 2013 it was all legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
storage