Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Don

Have you traveled FL40

Good Afternoon Fellow RVers
I am in South Florida and am heading north on I95 in a couple of days. I want to take FL40 from I95 west at Daytona Bch to Ocala to get on I75 with Gainesville as my destination. Have any of you traveled FL40 and is it 4 lane or 2 lane? Are there any low overpasses I should be aware of? Is Diesel available at stations that will accommodate my 30 ft fifth wheel. I've never traveled this rd so am completely unaware of its condition. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help in this matter.
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #2

FL40 is 2-lane after a few miles west of I95 to Ocala. I doubt there are any "underpasses" at all, it's a country road across flat terrain. Anything low will be appropriately posted with warning signs.

Read the road signs! Stop watching Youtube videos of guys ignoring the warning signs:

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #3

We travel that road often. Nothing to worry about no. The only two overpasses are I95 and I75. Two lane. Take the Ocala bypass road 326 and you do not have to drive thru Ocala and saves a little time and puts you at a Love's and other truck stops at I75 on and off ramps.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #4

Two lanes and part of it is through the Ocala National Forest. There are several passing zones along the way. You can turn right on 326 just east of Silver Springs and get over to 441 or I-75. No overpasses to worry about. We live a bit closer to Gainesville than halfway to Ocala. Enjoy your trip.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Two lanes and part of it is through the Ocala National Forest. There are several passing zones along the way. You can turn right on 326 just east of Silver Springs and get over to 441 or I-75. No overpasses to worry about. We live a bit closer to Gainesville than halfway to Ocala. Enjoy your trip.
x2 about what CampingGator says. I am in Ocala and 40 is relatively flat all the way. several curves and one stoplight at hwy 19 and 40. it is considered a dangerous intersection as there used to be no light, just stop signs on the 19. then several tragic accidents later the FL DOT put up a light a couple of years ago, so be mindful when you approach intersection. there is a bridge at the ST. John's river, so be careful there as it is a drawbridge to allow high masted boats to pass. also watch your speed as wildlife, deer and bears especially, can and will cross the road at any time of day and night. there are signs posted where their mostly travel lanes through the woods are. its an easy drive, just be cautious, speeds are mostly 55, with some areas may be 60.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Avoid Ocala! Too many traffic lights... 326 is good. I grew up driving those back road with my dad and towed a trailer.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #7

Smile

I agree with Retired1stTimer

I travel these road often and find the deer and bears don't read the signs and cross where they want to.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #8

If you get the app park adviser you can scroll in and it will show you if there is any low clearance spots.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #9

RT 40 beware

Please be especially careful at 40/19 intersection. Even with the stop light it is an extremely dangerous place. People have been known to “stage “ accidents there. It happened to me about four years ago. And no I’m not making this up. Be extra careful. Safe travels.
rev24RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #10

On 326 Ocala bypass , you will come to an intersection that will have Diesel on 3 corners , 40 cents per gallon cheaper than Loves ! Pick the one that ya like !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #11

Love me that 11 foot 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
FL40 is 2-lane after a few miles west of I95 to Ocala. I doubt there are any "underpasses" at all, it's a country road across flat terrain. Anything low will be appropriately posted with warning signs.

Read the road signs! Stop watching Youtube videos of guys ignoring the warning signs:

-- Chuck
11 foot 8 is about 20 miles from here. We were just over that way last week.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #12

Enjoy the ride on SR40 it's a good road 2 lane mostly, no low bridges, and 'cheaper than the Interstate diesel at SR200 (a crossing). But if you pass CR326 in a couple of miles you'll go through Silver Springs (a real spring) and there's Waldomart another mile, then a shopping center on your right... if you need to resupply.. I grew up around here and if you need to camp turn left at CR35 right after the springs and there's a good state campground a mile or so South of SR40.. There are a lot of lights in Ocala but it's not too bad most of the time..
TheGatherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #13
Roy

Just travelled today with a 35 ft motorhome towing a car from I-75 to Ocala bypass CR326 to Fl40. Good road all the way.
Had to wait a short time for the lift bridge at the river. Sure was easier than heading into Ocala. Two Pilot gas stations at I-75.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #14

We drive the stretch often.....good road all the way. Plenty of fuel stops. No clearance problems. Lots of things to see...At Barberville (SR40 and Rt17) there is a unique yard ornament sore and grounds, with everything from lawn jockeys to life sized bison! If you have time, stop and browse. As you approach Ocala, take 326 cut off to 441 and I-75. Enjoy the trip.
2corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #15

In many cases we find using secondary highways more enjoyable than the Interstates. There is so much to see in this wonderful country so we try to slow down and smell the roses unless we're in a hurry, which usually is not the case. Methinks this is one of the main reasons we chose RVing as our preferred travel mode.
Happy motoring to all!
Tow Haul 3.55 rear
Hingham, Mass.
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #16

FL 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12345 View Post
Good Afternoon Fellow RVers
I am in South Florida and am heading north on I95 in a couple of days. I want to take FL40 from I95 west at Daytona Bch to Ocala to get on I75 with Gainesville as my destination. Have any of you traveled FL40 and is it 4 lane or 2 lane? Are there any low overpasses I should be aware of? Is Diesel available at stations that will accommodate my 30 ft fifth wheel. I've never traveled this rd so am completely unaware of its condition. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help in this matter.
I have taken it many times and it's a great highway through beautiful central Florida. It cuts right through the pristine Ocala National Forest half way between Daytona and Ocala. One of my favorite campgrounds, Parramore's (on the river) is just off FL40 where it crosses the beautiful St John's River in the tiny town of Astor, FL.

If you pass through in the afternoon you can stop for a great, inexpensive seafood lunch at the Blackwater Inn right on the river. There's enough room there to park your rig. And if you want some laughs you can buy a baseball cap there that says: "Where The Hell Is Astor".
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #17

All of this true and accurate information.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #18

FYI, 40 near Dunnellon, just east of 41 has a railroad viaduct with a 14’ clearance but when approaching with a 13’6” fiver, pucker factor raises.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, travel