Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #1

heading south for the winter

hi all! new member here... hubby and i are headed down to FL for the winter (not sure where we are parking it yet), leaving PA about the middle of October and will be taking our time visiting places along the way. We want to make a stop for a few days near Williamsburg VA and then on to charleston SC for a few days. Has anyone ever stayed in a military campground? We've seen a few online but dont know anyone who has actually stayed at one.

any recommendations for a FL campground? We would like to stay midstate but then again, not sure. Can you tell we are new to this?

thanks for all replies......happy camping to all

Deb
grma2kimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cool

I can't help you w/ campgrounds, but make sure you visit Patriots' Point in Charleston .

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Although I can't help much with the military campground question I can tell you that I like to plan our stays using campgroundreviews.com

They have user reviews for many campgrounds and although you kind of have to read between the lines sometimes I find it very usefull to see what a fellow RVr has to say about a prospective campground.

Have a great trip!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Jan Goldfield

Highland Hammocks State Park near Sebring FL is a great park. And the surroundings are beautiful.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #5

We have stayed a few times at Camp Gordon famcamp in GA. It is a nice cg and had everything we needed for a great price. As for where to stay in FL, I assume you mean as a permanent site for the winter. My DH's cousin used to spend the winters there and it was at a place maybe an hour S of Port Charlette. If you want I can try and find out where it was. I think they had to rent it for a year and not just 6 months or whatever. They did like it and had lots of friends there. Good Luck and enjoy your warm winter.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #6

Try this web site for military campgrounds. U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #7

thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate them. camping!
grma2kimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #8

American Heritage at Williamsburg will be your best bet. Alternatively, there are two KOA's in Williamsburg, Williamsburg KOA and Colonial KOA. They are next door to one another and operated by the same management. But I suggest American Heritage if you can get in.

Welcome to American Heritage RV Park, Williamsburg, VA

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #9

I have only stayed at 2 military cgs and they were in VA and Delaware. The military cg website will have reviews for the cg as well as how long you can stay at various places. I have been pleased so far but some may only be a site with nothing else.
good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
I can't help you w/ campgrounds, but make sure you visit Patriots' Point in Charleston .
I second this recommendation!

As a former submariner on a missile sub (a "Boomer") in the early 80's, I was super impressed with the "Cold War Memorial".

As the President of the USS Will Rogers Veteran's Association, Inc., a non profit dedicated to creating opportunities for former shipmates to get together at reunions and special events we actually had a memorial bench dedicated to our submarine at the Cold War Memorial during our 2008 Reunion held in Charleston.

The rest of the entire facility is outstanding as well! See Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum - Charleston Harbor, SC for more information.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I had been thru the sub USS Pampanito (SS-383) when I was in Frisco, so most of my time was spent on the USS Yorktown. Quite an impressive vessel.

In Wilmington, I stopped by the USS North Carolina, but due to time constraints, I couldn't tour it though.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #12

Try Macdill AFB. They have a nice campgrounds but it fills up fast. we use Thousand Trails and Outdoor World campgrounds in Florida. We also use Encore campgrounds with discounts because we belong to thousand Trails. All three are owned by Lifestyle inc. we have found that Military campgrounds don't offer all of the facilities and you have to move your rig to dump and their prices are sometimes close to campgrounds outside the bases. Since TT and Outdoor World are membership campgrounds we pay an annual dues and camp for free in Florida.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Florida mil campgrounds

Try Patrick Air Force Base CG. It is located near the Cape and is a pretty nice CG. The name of the CG is "MANATEE COVE CAMPGROUND" Says reservations are accepted. 407-494-4787. There is a nice CG on the naval station @ NAS Jacksonville, FL. 904-542-3227. Another Cg is located on the Naval Station Mayport , right on the St Johns river and the Atlantic Ocean. The name of the RV park is " Pelican Roost RV Park" 904-270-7808. It is not listed in The Trailer Life Rv Parks and Directory for some reason. Right next to it is the City of Jacksonville Rv Park "Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park" which sits right on the ocean next to the naval Station Mayport. 904-249-4700. Very nice park and lots of shade. Both Rv parks are easy to get to from I-95, Just exit onto 9A with directions to Naval Station Mayport which will be going East from I-95.

I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU MAKE RESERVATIONS AS EARLY AS YOU CAN. Florida being a destination for winter snow birds fills up most CG's during the COLD WINTER MONTHS.

Good luck and welcome to the great state of Florida

Sid & HRH Daisy
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote