Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
bmg

Question Help on Virginia trip

We're going to be spending the better part of 3 weeks in VA. The first leg will take us north on I-81 to Staunton and then east on I-64 to Louisa. We've had the SV264 a couple of months and have taken only short trips where we stayed in a campground and then gassed up the Yukon before returning home.

When pulling the TT our range on one tank of gas is about 300 miles. I just checked Mapquest and our first campground is 297 miles. That's a little tight, so we're going to need gas before we camp. The problem is I've never pulled the TT into a gas station. I know that not all Pilots, Flying J's etc are TT friendly.

So if you know of easily accessible gas stations on I-81 between Lexington and Staunton or on I-64 between Staunton and Charlottesville please let me know. We're leaving tomorrow about 10 AM, so if you know of anything please post it. Thanks.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #2

I wish I could give you some specifics but I rarely go that route. Anyway, here is a website I found with all of the I-81 interchanges. For your trip, start at exit 191 and go to exit 221 and check those spots. Most along their are big rig friendly so you should be able to find one that is TT friendly.

I-81 Virginia Exits Northbound - iTravel.mobi

I suggest hitting one of these. There is not a lot on I-64 between I-81 and Charlottesville except maybe around Waynesboro.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #3

Watch your truck stops they have fuel. theere is a Flying j just as you come up I-81 into Virginia at Wythville. It has easy access. Staunton and
Waynesboro should have good truck stops too. Charlottsville also should have some truckstops before you get into Charlottsville. Anything after Charlottesville would be small stations goiing to Louisa.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
bmg

Thanks for the help. I ran across this site which list truck stops state by state and has a lot of other travel info.

Virginia VA Truck Stop Locations
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Google White's Truck Stop, Raphine, VA. It's been in business forever and is about 18 miles South of Staunton on I-81. I imagine they can accommodate you, but give them a call just to be sure. From there it is only about 80 miles to Louisa. Where are you headed in Louisa?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Google White's Truck Stop, Raphine, VA. It's been in business forever and is about 18 miles South of Staunton on I-81. I imagine they can accommodate you, but give them a call just to be sure. From there it is only about 80 miles to Louisa. Where are you headed in Louisa?
Thanks, I'll check it out. We're going to Small Country Campground and then visit Monticello and several Civil War (ie. War of Northern Aggression) sites south of Chancellorsville.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #7

Here is a link to all the gas stations in the area of Louisa Virginia and directions/locations. Prices are reasonable

Louisa Gas Prices ? Find Louisa, Virginia Gas Stations and Cheap Gas in VA at Automobile Magazine

Here is the main page where you can slect what state you want to check.
http://www.automobilemag.com/31/gas_prices.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #8

Still looking for help on this?
campclanlouisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #9

I-81/i64

THERE ARE SEVERAL PLACES TO FILL UP BETWEEN LEXINGTON AND i-64 AND ON I-64 FROM STAUNTON AND CHARLOTTESVILLE THERE ARE SEVERAL. FISHERSVILLE, WAYNESBORO ON 64 HAVE SOME. MOST ARE TT FRIENDLY.CHARLOTTESVILLE TO LOUISA YOU WILL FIND SEVERAL ESPECIALLY AT THE ZIONS CROSSROADS EXIT.
cdarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
bmg

Thanks for all the help. We had a great trip to the area and had no trouble getting gas coming and going. We stopped at the Pilot north of Roanoke on the way up. There was plenty of room at the pump, but the line of trucks trying to get in the truck fuel area was lined up down the street and made it interesting trying to get out of the station.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

A suggestion you might want to try next time trip planning is to use Google Earth to scope out fuel stops along your route. You want stations that have the islands parallel to the road. Or if you can fuel @ the end & drive around behind the station to exit.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote