Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
My pet peeve are the ones that come flying past, pull into your lane, and then jam on their brakes to exit. Why not just fall in behind me and then exit? There was plenty of room.
I think it's about "winning". Seriously.......I think the almost subconscious mindset of many folks is "I need to get ahead of ONE MORE car, I need to one bit faster than that guy, I need to beat you to that exit"......almost without thinking about it.

I spent 22 years commuting about 35 miles to work. I spent about 15 of it trying to beat one more car........I was that guy. I spent the last 7 of it just letting anyone that wanted to beat me, beat me. I backed off. This is in a commuter town where daily traffic is heavy. Difference? I timed both. The difference was one minute. One.

But I doubt that would matter to most drivers. They don't care if they LOSE a minute, so long as they get to drive faster than the other guy.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Actually, there is no other way. It's your resposibility to yield not the other way around. Just because your driving a monster vehicle does not afford you special treatment; that's your choice. Unfortunately, I believe some 18 wheelers have been held responsible for accidents involving non yeilding to ramp zombies. Some people just have no concept and just because most highway travellers move over (as a courtesy) or yield to the zombies they think it is required and don't even look at the lane till they run out of on ramp. It's my responsibility to yield and merge, whether that means speed up or slow down.
I'm not saying you're wrong... but do you have a referential source for that information?

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Old 07-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #23

that's why I bought a dash cam a few weeks ago. Cheap ones can be had for under $50. Good ones for $100-150. The video might come in very handy one day. I did extensive research and decided on this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Actually, there is no other way. It's your resposibility to yield not the other way around. Just because your driving a monster vehicle does not afford you special treatment; that's your choice. Unfortunately, I believe some 18 wheelers have been held responsible for accidents involving non yeilding to ramp zombies. Some people just have no concept and just because most highway travellers move over (as a courtesy) or yield to the zombies they think it is required and don't even look at the lane till they run out of on ramp. It's my responsibility to yield and merge, whether that means speed up or slow down.
Well, I can't speak for other states, but here's what the Illinois Vehicle Code says:

(625 ILCS 5/11-709.1) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-709.1)
Sec. 11-709.1. Driving on the shoulder.
(a) Vehicles shall be driven on a roadway, and shall only be driven on the shoulder for the purpose of stopping or accelerating from a stop while merging into traffic. It shall be a violation of this Section if while merging into traffic and while on the shoulder, the vehicle passes any other vehicle on the roadway adjacent to it.

And

625 ILCS 5/11-905) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-905)
Sec. 11-905. Merging traffic. Not withstanding the right of way provision in Sec. 11-901 of this Act, at an intersection where traffic lanes are provided for merging traffic the driver of each vehicle on the converging roadways is required to adjust his vehicular speed and lateral position so as to avoid a collision with another vehicle.
(Source: P.A. 81-860.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 07-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #25

We had 4 different people in the left lane doing under the speed limit texting on there phone. One car looked like both driver and passenger were watching a video on there phones.
The 2nd car was a older women ,looked to be over 60. 3rd car had a younger kid and it looked like the phone was strapped to the steering wheel for easy texting.
4th guy was all over the road, more focused on the texting then the driving.
I ran into many idiots out there during my 7 hour trip , but one was a true A-hole. This guy was beeping his horn as to tell me something was wrong and just wanted me to pull off the road so he could pass me . WTF !!! Something is wrong with some people!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
What about loss of driving priveldges for distracted driving? Texting, Smoking, Eating half a rack of ribs etc..
Texting is all ready against the law in all but 2 states . no eating while driving will bother a lot of MH owners and i also see no reason you can't eat a sandwich and drive same with Smoking it doesn't effect anyones driving . how about putting make up on while driving or talking to your wife or passenger while driving . i think No Dogs inn the front seats and then restrained in the back seat .
Old 07-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #27

Laws will never fix texting or distracted driving. They don't stop speeding.

One thing will..............if/when all insurance companies absolutely refuse to pay any claim for a wreck that occurred while a cell phone was in use. And yes, it can be determined.

Short of that, what we have is what we have.

As for moving over, I always let folks in the freeway when possible. When not possible, I don't.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #28
Tinkerer and Putterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Texting is all ready against the law in all but 2 states . no eating while driving will bother a lot of MH owners and i also see no reason you can't eat a sandwich and drive same with Smoking it doesn't effect anyones driving . how about putting make up on while driving or talking to your wife or passenger while driving . i think No Dogs inn the front seats and then restrained in the back seat .
I would have to disagree on eating while driving. I no longer eat while driving. Here's my reasoning.

Ever dumped / dribbled some coffee in your lap? Dropped schmutz on yourself from a messy sandwich? Did that distract you? What if another driver did something stupid in front of you right then, you only have one hand on the wheel thanks to that sandwich or drink and you're distracted by the dribble? Would that affect your response? I know it would mine. When I'm driving a 14,000 lb class C the potential damage goes up exponentially. I could not live with myself if my impaired reaction during an emergency situation caused harm to someone else much less my family.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Wow
Whatever new drug your on...I want a double dose! lol

If you have yield sign you YIELD!!!
If You have a Stop sign you STOP!!
If You have a Red Light You Stop!!

You have to be kidding me!
Old 07-09-2016, 11:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
I would have to disagree on eating while driving. I no longer eat while driving. Here's my reasoning.

Ever dumped / dribbled some coffee in your lap? Dropped schmutz on yourself from a messy sandwich? Did that distract you? What if another driver did something stupid in front of you right then, you only have one hand on the wheel thanks to that sandwich or drink and you're distracted by the dribble? Would that affect your response? I know it would mine. When I'm driving a 14,000 lb class C the potential damage goes up exponentially. I could not live with myself if my impaired reaction during an emergency situation caused harm to someone else much less my family.
50 years of driving never any issues eating while driving . that doesn't mean there are not others that can't drive while eating . talking on the phone , playing music , breathing , talking to your passenger,messing with your kids or dogs .

Should all this be outlawed because it can distract a driver . even the self driving cars can't keep from wrecking .lol i'll eat when i drive . Never use more then one hand driving anyways and sometimes my knees
Old 07-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
50 years of driving never any issues eating while driving . that doesn't mean there are not others that can't drive while eating . talking on the phone , playing music , breathing , talking to your passenger,messing with your kids or dogs .

Should all this be outlawed because it can distract a driver . even the self driving cars can't keep from wrecking .lol i'll eat when i drive . Never use more then one hand driving anyways and sometimes my knees
Just Make Sure You Know What To Do When You See a YIELD SIGN!
Old 07-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
They are welcome to run out of pavement.........

And they breed.......
And vote, too!
Old 07-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Just Make Sure You Know What To Do When You See a YIELD SIGN!
I know what to do , do you ?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #34

Nothing has changed this has been going on since the interstates were built as well as drivers speeding up or slowing down on the interstate to not allow others to merge.

Be courteous we lost that concept years ago too. Everything is me me me !!!!

What ever happened to driving is a privilege not a right......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Laws will never fix texting or distracted driving. They don't stop speeding.

One thing will..............if/when all insurance companies absolutely refuse to pay any claim for a wreck that occurred while a cell phone was in use. And yes, it can be determined.

Short of that, what we have is what we have.

As for moving over, I always let folks in the freeway when possible. When not possible, I don't.

I doubt if insurance companies can tell if you were on the phone, I have apps on my phone that my cell carrier can't track and I don't think my iPhone can be broke into

Old 07-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #36
Who Dares, Wins

Not sure if the civil courts can issue a court order.. But that is how they know where and when you were on your phone, from the cell data provided by your carrier.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #37

I get all nervous if I can't pass a few cars, I hate to get passed by everyone so I speed up. I hate to be the slow one. When I see the signs that say one lane ahead and I see a lot of cars pass me then it doesn't take long for me to block the lane. I normally have a bunch of trucks to help me out.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #38
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I doubt if insurance companies can tell if you were on the phone, I have apps on my phone that my cell carrier can't track and I don't think my iPhone can be broke into

Anything can be hacked or broken into. Let me have your phone for 10 min and I can have access to anything I want.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #39

Just going to pile on here regarding horribly lousy drivers since we just got back from a 300 mile journey home from the Adirondacks. Would like to add that other drivers out there going too slow is just as annoying and dangerous as anything else to someone towing a camper or driving an RV. Got stuck behind 3 different slow pokes all going well below the speed limit and riding their brakes, one of them actually braking going up hill, so forget about having any head start on that upcoming incline. And there's about 20 cars behind me staring at my rear end. I'm sure they were thinking there's another darn camper on the road but meanwhile it's the guy/gal in front of me that forgot where the gas pedal is. While on the highway, they don't realize that I'm in the slow lane going at or near the speed limit and that passing you is a giant pain the rear. I'm not trying to speed while towing, but for damn sake keep up with the the speed limit and lay off the brake.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #40

One of my peeves are the people who don't know that a Yield sign means that. Keep moving and merge relatively smoothly.
It does NOT mean to come to a stop at the end of that merge lane.
I've almost plowed several over the years because I'm looking and adjusting my speed and ASSUMING they know how to drive. Oh, there's my problem. I made an incorrect basic assumption.

Closed Thread