Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

Hurricane Earl

For those of you living in the mid-Atlantic through eastern Canada, I am sure you are aware of Hurricane Earl that is working its way toward the eastern seaboard, particularly from the northeast part of South Carolina all the way up into Canada. Here is the link to the National Hurricane map and site to track Earl as it makes its way up the coast.

Hurricane EARL

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have been keep an eye on that puppy. I figured we would get some of the outer bands of rain, but the weather reports still indicate hot and dry through the weekend.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #3

We are heading to Myrtle Beach Saturday for a week. It looks like they will be spared the storm, only having high surf and possible rip tides.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
bmg

We're going to the Outerbanks after Labor Day. We're safe from Earl, but I'm watching the storm, Invest 98, that is behind Earl. That would could be trouble for some.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #5

Tropical Storm Fiona

Here is Tropical Storm Fiona's current estimated path. Nothing like getting them one right after another. This one looks to stay out to sea so far.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #6

with a twist of luck we might be able to go Saturday down to the campground in Buxton. Reservations are for Friday but I don't know how that is looking right now. I know if they evacuate the island Thursday and re-open it Friday or saturday that will be hell to get through. Then I gotta think about if they lose power and what not. Already talked to the CG and they said keep the reservation and if we can't get down till Saturday we won't be charged for Friday thankfully.
Equal-I-zer
samsc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Jas

I'm about 20 miles from Virginia Beach and it's coming right for us!!!!!

Got both trucks fueled for a planned trip inland this weekend anyhow. I just need to catch the dogs and find the chainsaw. I might be leaving a day earlier just in case. I was here for Isabel and it was no fun, I'd rather be camping this time and worry about what's left to clean up afterwards.

Nights camped in 2011: 19
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I'm about 20 miles from Virginia Beach and it's coming right for us!!!!!

Got both trucks fueled for a planned trip inland this weekend anyhow. I just need to catch the dogs and find the chainsaw. I might be leaving a day earlier just in case. I was here for Isabel and it was no fun, I'd rather be camping this time and worry about what's left to clean up afterwards.
Hopefully this time instead of plowing through it will just graze you and not do much if any damage. Speaking of Isabel, I sat through Virginia Tech's game with Texas A & M that night in Blacksburg. That was an experience. At least we won.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Hopefully this time instead of plowing through it will just graze you and not do much if any damage. Speaking of Isabel, I sat through Virginia Tech's game with Texas A & M that night in Blacksburg. That was an experience. At least we won.
Yeah, but A&M's not Boise!! Good luck there.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
Yeah, but A&M's not Boise!! Good luck there.
First time in a while we have to wonder about our defense instead of the offense since they are fairly in-experienced. The offense is SUPPOSED to be tough. Who knows. This game may be a shoot out.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully those 2 hurricanes will stay offshore. We were in Indy 1 year & the weather was affected by a storm coming up from the Gulf. Made for a crappy Labour Day weekend.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:36 AM   #12

At the moment we are expecting Earl to pass right across the Island but with any kind of luck it will start to move out to sea before it gets this far north. It will also weaken once it hits Nova Scotia (if it does). Fingers are crossed. We still have damage from Juan.
2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
https://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #13

Just hanging out waiting for developments. Earl is still a hurricane but is down to cat. 1 instead of the monster cat. 4 that it was earlier. Winds are rising but so far no rain. Everything is done that I can think of. We have drinking water and flushing water. Everything loose has been put away and the vehicles are moved away from trees. We don't expect any real problems but it is better to be prepared, just in case. The forecast is for 2" of rain so that may cause problems for some people.We lost power last night for a while, no idea why, and got tired of sitting in the dark house so moved out the the trailer for a while.
I'd love to go to the shore to watch the waves but emergency people are advising that people stay home so that's probably what we'll do. The storm surge should be small because the tides are very low right now. During some other storms the water has come up into our woods.
Hurricane Juan wrecked our main barn and it wasn't worth repairing so nothing more to loose there.
The ferries are now canceled but the bridge is still open although I imagine it will be closed soon.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #14

In Halifax, the worst of it was supposed to be done around noon and last I heard Earl had been downgraded to a Tropical storm. It is still pretty gusty here as I look out kind of depressed at my trailer iin the driveway instead of being out camping like we were planning. We actually did leave and go out Thursday night but came home Friday after the storm changed path. If it blows over quick we may try and get out again this afternoon to try and salvage the long weekend. Sucks to have the last long weekend go to waste like this. We still have power here at our place but there are a lot less fortunate people, we had ours blink off once for about 15 seconds.

Hope you fare well over on PEI, it sounds like the big concern is storm surge.
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #15

Earl passed through yesterday. We don't seem to have had any major damage and didn't even loose power for very long. I understand that it was still a Cat. 1 hurricane but did get downgraded later. The storm surge wasn't expected to cause any damage because the tides were very low while Earl was passing however many of the marinas made boat owners remove their boats so as to reduce strain on the docks.