Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 592
I-40 at TN/NC border CLOSED

We have had so much rain and now rockslides have closed I-40 in both directions for at least a week in Haywood County NC at mile markers 7.5 and 20 near the TN/NC border. Check your travel plans and reroute accordingly. Rain has the ground saturated and rockslides are happening all over the place.

There are many roadways that are closed due to rockslides, people have been killed when the roadways have given way and taken them and their vehicles down the mountainside.

Check that your roads are open, if you are heading through the Mid-Atlantic region.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,244
Thanks for that heads up, I know here in Virginia, the ground is like a swamp, walking in my yard you sink down at least 4" , been raining since last Sunday.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Thanks for that heads up, I know here in Virginia, the ground is like a swamp, walking in my yard you sink down at least 4" , been raining since last Sunday.
I'm in far SW Va and we have had about 10" of rain so far in February. I was explaining what a "bog" is to my daughter last week and she said "you mean, like our yard?" Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It's been horrible, but I'm thankful it's warm. We would have about 6 feet of snow if it had been cold.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 29
I-24 west of Nashville is also closed to westbound traffic due to a rockslide. It is expected to be closed for a week.
travelwithkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwithkids View Post
I-24 west of Nashville is also closed to westbound traffic due to a rockslide. It is expected to be closed for a week.

Only the east bound lanes as of this morning. Between exit40 and 42. Detours have been established but its slow going.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,645
Maybe it's time to launch the All-Weather RV.



Built by some guy named Noah.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 20
road conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We have had so much rain and now rockslides have closed I-40 in both directions for at least a week in Haywood County NC at mile markers 7.5 and 20 near the TN/NC border. Check your travel plans and reroute accordingly. Rain has the ground saturated and rockslides are happening all over the place.

There are many roadways that are closed due to rockslides, people have been killed when the roadways have given way and taken them and their vehicles down the mountainside.

Check that your roads are open, if you are heading through the Mid-Atlantic region.
We,re planning on going to Augusta Ga. from southeast Mo. this weekend,going thru Nashville Tn.on I 24 and Atlanta Ga.on I
75 with a layover in Chattanooga Tn. How are the roads?

Thanks Bob M
Bob Maager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maager View Post
We,re planning on going to Augusta Ga. from southeast Mo. this weekend,going thru Nashville Tn.on I 24 and Atlanta Ga.on I
75 with a layover in Chattanooga Tn. How are the roads?

Thanks Bob M

Bob, I live near Clarksville TN. So far, I have not heard of any I24 problems except what's listed here on this site on your route. They are saying it "might" be opened by Friday. You could call the TDOT road conditions hotline # *511(I think!) If you are in the Bootheel, might try I40 into Nashville and pick I24 there.

AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
Bob, I live near Clarksville TN. So far, I have not heard of any I24 problems except what's listed here on this site on your route. They are saying it "might" be opened by Friday. You could call the TDOT road conditions hotline # *511(I think!) If you are in the Bootheel, might try I40 into Nashville and pick I24 there.

UPDATE::::2/26 9 PM


Now they are saying may be more then a week. Also TDOT is starting a major reconstruction of 440 in Nashville this weekend. Anybody planing on coming from the west and taking I24 S might want to consider getting on I40 to just east of Dickson. Pick up 840 and bypass Nashville completely.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 592
Also, Rt 441 through the Smoky Mountain National Park is closed because of erosion of the road bed.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 20
Thanks for the update. We canceled our trip, ice and snow is expected in southeast Mo. ( that's where we re leaving from)
Bob Maager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 150
I'm supposed to be in downtown Nashville this Monday, coming in from the North on I65. Do I have anything to be concerned about?
__________________
K_and_I
K= DW and I
2017 Ford F250
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
I'm supposed to be in downtown Nashville this Monday, coming in from the North on I65. Do I have anything to be concerned about?


Depends on what time of day and if they are doing any pothole patching.

Drive times during rush hour are up 20-30 minutes because drivers are hopping over to 65 because of the 25 shutdown.

If you run into roadwork that usually backs up before you get into Nashville. I have seen this middle of the day backed up for 5-6 miles. 31w going south into Nashville is an alternate route. Easy to access from exit 2 in KY south thru TN from exits 118, 112 and 108.

Use google maps or waze app and you will be fine.
travelwithkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
UPDATE::::2/26 9 PM


Now they are saying may be more then a week. Also TDOT is starting a major reconstruction of 440 in Nashville this weekend. Anybody planing on coming from the west and taking I24 S might want to consider getting on I40 to just east of Dickson. Pick up 840 and bypass Nashville completely.


They announced today the interstate will be shut down until March 15th.
travelwithkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwithkids View Post
Depends on what time of day and if they are doing any pothole patching.

Drive times during rush hour are up 20-30 minutes because drivers are hopping over to 65 because of the 25 shutdown.

If you run into roadwork that usually backs up before you get into Nashville. I have seen this middle of the day backed up for 5-6 miles. 31w going south into Nashville is an alternate route. Easy to access from exit 2 in KY south thru TN from exits 118, 112 and 108.

Use google maps or waze app and you will be fine.
Thanks. I usually run with waze, so hopefully I will be fine. Glad it's a car and not an rv.
__________________
K_and_I
K= DW and I
2017 Ford F250
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
rp53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jonesborough
Posts: 922
drove home from knoxville last night sign said 1 lane was open on I40 TN/NC this was about 10:00
__________________
2017 Micro Lite 21FBRS (sold)
2019 GMC Sierra 2500 HD extra cab Z71
looking for the perfect 5er over the winter
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #17
(Dry Huunday)
 
DreiHunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
drove home from knoxville last night sign said 1 lane was open on I40 TN/NC this was about 10:00
Yep! one lane both directions is open. Be safe everyone!
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...226916294.html
__________________

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.