Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

I-40 to re-open in North Carolina

NCDOT has announced that the section of I-40 closed since October 25 is scheduled to re-open around April 27.

http://https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/pio/releases/details.aspx?r=3567

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
it actually made the news it was opening 2 days early

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
BENTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Yep, it's open but still a lot of work going on and two-lane traffic in many areas. A warning about Gatlinburg - take the bypass and go on to Pigeon Forge. I was returning from Knoxville late night and wound up going through Gatlinburg. Essence of story - high-crowned roads with telephone poles curbside leaning out into road. Three idiots racing cat-and-mouse style about 4 inches on my port side. Took the hit and lost $300 mirror and damaged awning support instead of a 4-vehicle accident. Twin Creeks in Gatlinburg is a great $50 park but stay away from downtown area in your bus.
Gator_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator_38 View Post
Yep, it's open but still a lot of work going on and two-lane traffic in many areas. A warning about Gatlinburg - take the bypass and go on to Pigeon Forge. I was returning from Knoxville late night and wound up going through Gatlinburg. Essence of story - high-crowned roads with telephone poles curbside leaning out into road. Three idiots racing cat-and-mouse style about 4 inches on my port side. Took the hit and lost $300 mirror and damaged awning support instead of a 4-vehicle accident. Twin Creeks in Gatlinburg is a great $50 park but stay away from downtown area in your bus.
Gator_38, hate to hear about your misfortune in Gatlinburg.

Agree with Gator on I-40 and Gatlinburg.

I had reason to travel I-40 last week since the Blue Ridge Parkway was fogged under. Just in case members wonder how a rock slide can close a road down for a long period of time, here is a couple of photos of the area...and these are not the exact area of the rock-slide:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gatlinburg 1 068.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	2547
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gatlinburg 1 071.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2548

VDOT is still working in the rock-slide area to stabilize the mountain side.

I made the mistake of coming in on Rt. 321 into Gatlinburg, and then traveling Rt 441 through town. I didn't take the hit that Gator_38 did, but my SIL following me said the awning corner of my camper was missing the telephone poles by about a foot......and my left wheels were hugging the white line. Besides the narrow roads and obstacles, numerous traffic lights and pedestrian crosswalks makes this an RVers nightmare.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #5

I-40 - What a Road!

One of the things that amazed me about the condition of I-40 is the placement of nets (nylon-steel???) on almost every steep cliff along the road, even into Gatlinburg. Never seen anything like that before and I saw a couple of the cranes they use to put the nets up there. Not a job I'd like. I get airsick on thick carpets.
Gator_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator_38 View Post
One of the things that amazed me about the condition of I-40 is the placement of nets (nylon-steel???) on almost every steep cliff along the road, even into Gatlinburg. Never seen anything like that before and I saw a couple of the cranes they use to put the nets up there. Not a job I'd like. I get airsick on thick carpets.
They looked like steel netting.....extra heavy duty for the big rocks.

Did you notice the dynamite drillers up on the cliff ??? Geez.

Major bucks being spent trying to keep this road open.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote