Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2022, 07:41 AM   #21

what does STAGING in Naples mean?
is it set in stone?

lots of people recommend not going I75

I live here and am totally blown away by what I have seen

now I have a trailer.... I avoid I75 like the plague!
Aussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:53 AM   #22

There are three routes controlled access, I-95, I-75 and the Florida Turnpike or a combination or two or more of these. All have their issues.

I-95 is somewhat out of the way, but things seem to move when you get south of Jacksonville. From West Palm Beach south, the traffic gets and stays pretty heavy. There is construction in Jacksonville and other minor areas where overpasses are being constructed. Also construction south of the Palm Beach/Broward County line where lanes appear and disappear. We usually take early flights out of Ft. Lauderdale and traffic in the 4-6 am range isn't too bad.

I-75 has typical major slowdowns at The Villages, the turnpike cutoff, Tampa and Fort Myers. I have not been south of the turnpike cutoff for some time, so I don't know about construction.

The turnpike is a fairly good, but an expensive option. It has been significantly widened around Orlando and from West Palm Beach south. There is some turnpike construction just north of Orlando that may slow things down. Didn't see much construction from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale on the last drip down.

Secondary roads north and south are pretty much non-existent or have stoplights every 1/4 mile. There are some good east-west roads, SR40, SR50, SR60, SR80.

This may be significantly out of your way, but US19/98 from I-10 east of Tallahassee, is a good 4-lane rural road. We usually take it then cut over to Ocala on US27. However, you can follow US98 further south and get to I-75 above Tampa.
Civrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:01 AM   #23

I prefer to avoid Atlanta. My route into Florida has me exit I-75 at Adairsville and I spend a night there. Then I head west to Rome and basically follow US-27 south. That is mostly divided highway, 2 lanes each side and much has a speed limit of 65 mph and very light traffic. I get off 27 in Columbus and go thru Albany and Moultrie spending a night at Reed Bingham St park before jumping back on I-75. For me, this is a comfortable, relaxed drive of about 300 miles.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #24

Assuming there is not an accident I do not consider the traffic in Florida to be an issue. It is much worse in the winter and I mean much. I just took a trip from SW Florida all the way to sugarloaf and traffic was not an issue. I did avoid the turnpike they drive crazy on that thing. I got off the alley at 27 and took 997 down to chrome. It will dump you out just north of the keys. Keys traffic is what it is and people drive stupid. Leaving Naples I would consider taking 41 through the everglades it is popular route.
sleonard is offline   Reply With Quote