Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

I78/I95 Travel Tips Needed

We will be traveling between Atlantic Oaks and Gettysburg KOA this summer. First time traveling this route. I'm not sure that I want to get caught up in NYC traffic with TT. We are trying the make this leg in one shot. Any recommendations? Road conditions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	200
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	257824  
Aerostaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #2

Taking I84 through Scranton shows 23 minutes longer but I bet it won’t be anymore time because you won’t get the delays you are likely to encounter closer to the City. I know I would go through Scranton rather than the other routes.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #3

I just did both of these routes; 287 / 78 west and on the return, 81/84 east.

Path of least resistance is 84/81. Road conditions are poor both routes with lots of construction. I’m convinced New York and Pennsylvania are competing for some sort of worst roads award with no discernible winner at this stage.

I would prefer to cross the Hudson on 84 in Newburgh or, as an alternate, 287 on the Tappan Zee… um Mario Cuomo bridge.

Timing is everything. We came through Newburgh today around 4:30pm and were welcomed with absolute gridlock through Danbury. Rush hour on Friday. Go figure.

Traffic westbound at the Newburgh bridge was backed up literally for miles but, again, rush hour.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

78's not too bad as long as you don't hit it going East in morning. Stay the hell away from Harrisburg PA at all costs! It is a major trucking hub, and it seem like it is always a sardine can of tractor trailers. Some the the most hellish interstate driving i've ever experienced. And I don't know of any time of day around there that is better, it always seems awful.

Oh, and anytime I've driven CT coast, it's orange barrel hell. I've stayed away from it for years, don't know if it's gotten any better.

78W in NJ gets bad by 4 pm, particularly where it crosses I-287.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #5

I've worked/travelled the NYC market for 20 years. You definitely DO NOT want to travel the Cross Bronx Expressway anytime day or night. Most of the time it's a parking lot. And I wouldn't trust the Tappan Zee to I-287 to I-80 either. Too close to NYC. The only traffic you're likely to hit on that northern route will be the "Burys" aka Waterbury CT and Danbury CT but they're short and you'll be through in 15 minutes at most, depending on the time of day. They're working on the Newburgh bridge but even that's not backed up much. Lots of construction in PA on I-84 but they're doing it in short 3-4 miles sections and there's not a lot of traffic there anyway, just a pain following a line of traffic in single lanes. I-81 South from Scranton is fine, H-burg gets a little busy at rush hour. Hope this helps.
Trek Fuel EX7 gen 5
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Taking I84 through Scranton shows 23 minutes longer but I bet it won’t be anymore time because you won’t get the delays you are likely to encounter closer to the City. I know I would go through Scranton rather than the other routes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilli1 View Post
I've worked/travelled the NYC market for 20 years. You definitely DO NOT want to travel the Cross Bronx Expressway anytime day or night. Most of the time it's a parking lot. And I wouldn't trust the Tappan Zee to I-287 to I-80 either. Too close to NYC. The only traffic you're likely to hit on that northern route will be the "Burys" aka Waterbury CT and Danbury CT but they're short and you'll be through in 15 minutes at most, depending on the time of day. They're working on the Newburgh bridge but even that's not backed up much. Lots of construction in PA on I-84 but they're doing it in short 3-4 miles sections and there's not a lot of traffic there anyway, just a pain following a line of traffic in single lanes. I-81 South from Scranton is fine, H-burg gets a little busy at rush hour. Hope this helps.

X2 many times over!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:29 PM   #7

Use “Waypoints” for your route planning: 1st one would be Milton, PA, second one would be Lancaster, PA, third would be Gettysburg, PA.. By using Waypoints instead of relying on direct routes, you can avoid large city traffic jams. Traveling on Rt.81 through Harrisburg has always had “stop and go” traffic due to accidents. The last one 1.5 hour delay, then closed the highway and had to detour for 5 miles. I said “Never Again”!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #8

I'm heading out that way (Boston) too from Maryland, sounds like Tappan Zee bridge/287 is the way to go without taking an even longer route via 84?
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #9

When I go that way, I always take I-84 giving NYC a wide berth. Even 84 has some NYC congestion on it around Danbury.

The thing about I-287 White Plains area is just not the congestion, but the lack of signage giving you enough time to get in the correct lane, that is if the rush hour traffic riders (all day) will let you in.

On 84 in NY look out for the deer. That area has one of the highest concentrations of deer and bear carcasses on the road that I have ever seen.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:04 PM   #10

I lined in Maine fire 30 years. Moved to PA. Anytime I go to Maine to visit family I go 81-84 to 95. If you plan the time of day you go through Hartford and Danbury and Waterbury. It’s a breeze. No way I would even touch 95 in New York. Did that once when I was stationed in Florida. Stopping every 5 miles for told in NY/NJ sucked.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
Use “Waypoints” for your route planning: 1st one would be Milton, PA, second one would be Lancaster, PA, third would be Gettysburg, PA.. By using Waypoints instead of relying on direct routes, you can avoid large city traffic jams. Traveling on Rt.81 through Harrisburg has always had “stop and go” traffic due to accidents. The last one 1.5 hour delay, then closed the highway and had to detour for 5 miles. I said “Never Again”!!
Harrisburg is evil.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
I lined in Maine fire 30 years. Moved to PA. Anytime I go to Maine to visit family I go 81-84 to 95. If you plan the time of day you go through Hartford and Danbury and Waterbury. It’s a breeze. No way I would even touch 95 in New York. Did that once when I was stationed in Florida. Stopping every 5 miles for told in NY/NJ sucked.
You cannot exist in NJ without EZ Pass. Oh, don't forget, you get charged DOUBLE for tolls towing a single axle trailer. I can't even imagine what giant trailers like your PUMA get charged!
Old 06-26-2021, 10:26 PM   #13
Open Space Wanted

Stay away from cities or the NE with an RV.

I personally don't think I'd want to camp up that way. I drive 95 with just a vehicle and have driven that route many times over the years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Route.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	257920  
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:59 PM   #14

You’re painting with a pretty broad brush. There are excellent camping spots up here and if you avoid an entire region due to traffic in metro areas en route, you’re missing out.

18 wheelers make their way around here, your rig is likely smaller and capable of navigating.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #15

Yep avoid any Hudson River crossings that bring you anywhere near NYC. The Tappanzee bridge, now called the Mario Cuomo bridge will be your best bet and I would try and avoid 95 in CT as well and take a more northerly route as suggested above.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECamper View Post
You’re painting with a pretty broad brush. There are excellent camping spots up here and if you avoid an entire region due to traffic in metro areas en route, you’re missing out.

18 wheelers make their way around here, your rig is likely smaller and capable of navigating.

X2, plus the NE cities are way less bothersome then St. Louis, Atlanta, Jacksonville. To name a few.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #17

RedRoverComeOver apparently does not know what he/she is missing if he/she does not have a desire to camp in the N.E. United States That area runs from Maine to Maryland and from Ohio / W. Virginia to the Atlantic Ocean. Oh, well… one more open spot for someone who desires to explore that area.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #18
Open Space Wanted

Depends on how you describe regions. Mid-Atlantic states start at NY or NJ/PA and S. As a former NYer, I don't consider NY a Mid-Atlantic state and some maps reflect the same. New England consists of the six states NE of NY.

It sucks getting there and coming back. As a part timer, travel time is a top priority. It's bad enough I have to deal with DC traffic. There's nothing I want to see on the way when camping, just the destination. I've been to 48 states and not through camping.

So here's my thinner brush where I would consider camping in the U.S. NE.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New England.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	257942  
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:10 PM   #19

I would suggest to you to take extended time and visit the Finger Lakes region of Central New York…. Take your time with it, and the closer you are to the Autumn Eqinox, the better!! I do not think you will be disappointed in the area…. And , if you can, Watkins Glen State Park is the “sliced pork off the pig’s behind”, (pardon my jargon!!). Spend a week and you will wish for TWO!!!
Old 06-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Yep avoid any Hudson River crossings that bring you anywhere near NYC. The Tappanzee bridge, now called the Mario Cuomo bridge will be your best bet and I would try and avoid 95 in CT as well and take a more northerly route as suggested above.
Agree completely with taking the Tappanzee. Also, avoid 287 south and 78 west any time after 3:30 pm. It is a bumper-to-bumper traffic nightmare.

Tags
travel