Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #1

Interesting trip through Maine and/or New Hampshire

Hi. We've been up and down the east coast of Maine a couple time in the last five years. This year we are headed to Prince Edward Island in Canada, but we want to take a different and more intentional route through either Maine and/or New Hampshire to get to Canada. We'd like to stop for scenic hikes, visit small communities, see historical sites, sample some great small town restaurants and just relax on the trip north. We plan to go for a couple of weeks in July. I'm looking for any suggested routes, sights of interest, boondocking locations, restaurants and trails that need to be hiked!

Katahdin Mt sticks out as strong possibility but I need to look into any reservations that may be needed.

Post anything and everything since I love reading about everyone's experiences.

Thanks and enjoy your summer!
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:34 AM   #2

NH - Mount Washington either by car or Cog train and while there an ATV rental in the area. Kancamangus highway with lots of trails for hiking and Franconia Notch State Park.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

If you haven't already visited Acadia National Park on the Maine coast, I'll suggest it as one of our favorite hiking/biking areas. There's also plenty to see in downtown Bar Harbor (very dog-friendly) and some good restaurants.

We've stayed in campgrounds in/near the park, but have decided to stay at Schoodic Woods Campground the next time we visit. Your July time frame will probably rule this campground out, though. The B-Loop offers electricity and water, but no sewer service except the dump stations. From Schoodic, it's a ~1hr drive to Acadia, but you can also take the bus from the campground to the town of Winter Harbor and then catch the ferry to downtown Bar Harbor. From there, you can catch the Island Explorer buses to various points in Acadia NP. Very bike friendly!

Typically, Schoodic campsites go quickly and I believe there is a 2-month booking window. That would mean that now would be the time to book a site for the end of August or after Labor Day (our favorite time).

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote