Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #21

I have found the same lack of cell coverage at state camp sites. The wifi is another story but after the second day the withdraw jitters went away. It was kinda nice to be disconnected during that time but knew it would be for a limited time.

I'm pretty sure the staff at the campgrounds are excellent at keeping the facility clean and organized but pretty sure they aren't the geek squad type. I may consider this as a nitch for the future. Roving technical service for campgrounds may just provide me a reason to get on the road more often within the next year. Who knows I never really thought about it before. Thanks for the insight
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
No WiFi, Mercy just wait until you are in a campground where there is no phone service
Yogi Bear
Marion, N.C. for us at least
Old 01-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

WIFI and its infrastructure isn't cheap.
Large amounts of bandwidth necessary to keep hundreds of campers happy is expensive and often times not even available.

As we continue down the digital path of life I suspect campgrounds are going to start charging a premium for WIFI just as many do for cable and in the 'olden days', a land line jack.

I also suspect there will be a bunch of complaining about that too.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
WIFI and its infrastructure isn't cheap.
Large amounts of bandwidth necessary to keep hundreds of campers happy is expensive and often times not even available.

As we continue down the digital path of life I suspect campgrounds are going to start charging a premium for WIFI just as many do for cable and in the 'olden days', a land line jack.

I also suspect there will be a bunch of complaining about that too.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #25

Remember back in the "olden days" when all we had was a regular antenna, and sometimes we even had to go to Radio Shack and pick up our own antenna, and even "rabbit ears" ? No phone's, no cable, no sattalite tv.
Now everyone complains if they don't have "instant" access!!!
What did we do way back when? I remember books, board games, cards, and just plain talking with each other.
Just having fun without all the modern gadgets, instant notifications, and the ability to check your computer every 14 1/2 minutes, is becoming a lost art.
We were in a campground next to Devil's Tower this past Sept, and couldn't even get OTA tv stations as there were none available. Were there for 3 days/nights, and Lord Have Mercy, we survived!!!
Not saying all that we have now isn't fun or convenient, it is. But there is "life without wifi".
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #26

Grumpy I agree, I remember Life before Cell phones and WiFi, Heck I remember Life before indoor plumbing and Air Conditioning. But all of this stuff in Nice to have but we can live without it.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynott96 View Post
We stayed in a motorhome at the Treasure Coast RV Park in Fort Pierce, Florida from December 27th, 2016 through January 9th, 2017. During this entire time period the park personnel and staff were unable to provide us with reliable internet/wifi and by reliable I mean lasting more than a minute! We visited the front desk repeatedly and tried working with maintenance staff all to no solution...the park itself is beautiful, well kept, gated, nice sites, however in this case we were never provided with the service for which our fee paid....and their answer was for us to trek up to the front office to get reliable wifi....I think not!
We sent an email when we returned home from a reliable internet source that lasted more than a minute..and so far have received absolutely no answers.
We are very disappointed with this treatment whereas we had previously stayed and had full amenities throughout our stay.
You didn't say how far you were from the Access Point (closest one) of if you have a booster setup. IMO a WiFi booster is almost a necessity if service is that important, and it sounds like it is. My expertise is in datacom / telecom and I can tell you that most CG staffers would not have a clue where to start trying to help you. But, they should have tried and should have an answer for you, even if it isn't the one you had hoped for.

If the service was good at the office, but you were too far away, at those times, these boosters are the ticket.

Link to WIFIRANGER
https://www.wifiranger.com/shop/product/64-sky2-pack

W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Currently in a HUGE resort. I'll estimate 1200 - 1500 units and the WIFI is more than acceptable. Possibly because there is so much to do here and in the area? Possibly due to the rates? For whatever reason, it is still our favorite place to spend the winter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
What??? How can you post a glowing review like that and not say
WHERE YOU ARE!!
I'm guessing because if he told us, we'd ALL want to go there! Some things you just have to keep to yourself, I think!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #29
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
If this was the worst thing that happened... you had a fabulous trip!
Buy yourself a personal hotpot. Ours works well and not very costly.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #30

Life is too short to bitch about no WiFi. I like to unplug when I'm out. I hardly even use a trailer park to camp in, so we rely on cell service if we need to communicate.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #31

We have found that in the 16 + years we have never had reliable internet from RV parks. The only time is when we were next to the antenna/box that sends the signal. For RV parks that advertise WiFi and don't have very good internet, is a come on for your business. Even in a high end park like Voyager RV resort in Tucson, we had to go to a room that had internet reception. So no sitting in your RV and surf at you leisure. This year we signed up for our own router for at least 50mbs at 49.99/month. Since my wife does a lot of Genealogy research she wanted something reliable and dedicated.
WoodWkr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm guessing because if he told us, we'd ALL want to go there! Some things you just have to keep to yourself, I think!
Indoor & outdoor pools, 2 hot tubs, tons of activities, dinners, lunches (minimal charge for meals), sewing classes, water aerobics my wife enjoys, woodworking shop, and much more. Close to town, 20 minutes from beaches ~~~ now who would be interested in anything like that? Entertainment nights ~~ 178 activities during winter. Always full. Heard the showers and bathrooms are spotless and certainly the laundry is! Why would anyone want to come here when after an hour if your connection is not used it shuts off and you have to press a button to reconnect? Seriously now!

PM if interested.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #33

I agree with the #2 post about reliable service. Since we fulltime we have carried our own jet pack and have always been able to connect except spring break of 2016 in Port Aransas Texas when all the young crowd brought all their devices and the towers were jammed on the island.

As for the cg employees to know anything about much of anything is rare imho. The people to ask are usually the workampers in the park.

I also noted in post #10 that wifi is needed for work, and having said that, its seems to me that cg operators more and more are expected to provide this service and if not, according to some rv'ers this disqualifies those cg's or parks from good ratings on review forums.

This is my opinion and I know this will blow some people's dress up.
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Everyone that has ever stayed at a campground that has generally available, reliable Wi-Fi, raise your right leg.
I'm raising my right leg. Llano Grande Resort in Mercedes TX provides you with a modem when you book a space in the park and also throw in cable. Never mind WiFi when you have high speed cable internet.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Everyone that has ever stayed at a campground that has generally available, reliable Wi-Fi, raise your right leg.
Of course, they were military FamCamps, where they are always working to improve things because profit isn't the main concern. The last two we stayed at, DM AFB and Ft Huachuca AZ had multiple antennas throughout the campgrounds.

This seems to be one of the last perks of long military careers, and we plan to use them whenever possible.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Of course, they were military FamCamps, where they are always working to improve things because profit isn't the main concern. The last two we stayed at, DM AFB and Ft Huachuca AZ had multiple antennas throughout the campgrounds.

This seems to be one of the last perks of long military careers, and we plan to use them whenever possible.
X2 All the Military FamCamps have great WiFi (at least the ones we have stayed in)

Here is another *possible* solution for folks: if you travel in areas where T-Mobile has decent connectivity, they are now offering unlimited WiFi (they may throttle after 28GB per line). Cost depends on how many lines with a family of 4 paying $40/line and a couple paying $60/line
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
We stayed at a campground in Haines Junction BC in July. They had no 50A, sewer, water or showers but for the 6 campers in the 75 space CG the wifi was great!!
Not to be a stats police.......Haines Junction is in the Yukon Territory. Many trips through there over the years ☺
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
I agree with the #2 post about reliable service. Since we fulltime we have carried our own jet pack and have always been able to connect except spring break of 2016 in Port Aransas Texas when all the young crowd brought all their devices and the towers were jammed on the island.

As for the cg employees to know anything about much of anything is rare imho. The people to ask are usually the workampers in the park.

I also noted in post #10 that wifi is needed for work, and having said that, its seems to me that cg operators more and more are expected to provide this service and if not, according to some rv'ers this disqualifies those cg's or parks from good ratings on review forums.

This is my opinion and I know this will blow some people's dress up.

I can only recall or read rules for 2 of the last 3 CGs and those 2 state internet is NOT for downloading big files, watching movies or business.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #39
Newly Retired

The fact is that whether not they have Wi-Fi is not as much a concern is how many people are trying to suck data through it at the same time. It can be provided easily but to make it actually work for you, that's another story. To many variables.
Where I am parked this season the Wi-Fi cost an additional $32 per month. For that amount of money I simply purchased more data through my cell phone provider and linked my laptop to my cell phone. it's not lightning fast but it is consistent. Providing you have the proper cell signal wherever you might be. I know plenty of places that this idea won't work either. But it's an option.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #40

Hi,

On my trip from northern Illinois to Quartzite a few weeks ago, I had very good wifi service at every KOA that I stayed at.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote