Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #61

We are at a RV park in Florida and the WIFI here sucks. You figure if there are over 300 RVs here and say 100 are trying to stream movies or use there laptops that will hog a lot of bandwidth that the RV park has to pay for.

There is Comcast cable here so I went to Comcast and got a month to month contract for Internet access for $30 a month. My problem solved. I don't sit in our camper and stream movies or spend a lot of time on a computer but it is good to have when I want to use it.

Duane

2016 Silverado LTZ 2500 HD d/a

2016 Crusader 295RST FW
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #62
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynott96 View Post
We stayed in a motorhome at the Treasure Coast RV Park in Fort Pierce, Florida from December 27th, 2016 through January 9th, 2017. During this entire time period the park personnel and staff were unable to provide us with reliable internet/wifi and by reliable I mean lasting more than a minute! We visited the front desk repeatedly and tried working with maintenance staff all to no solution...the park itself is beautiful, well kept, gated, nice sites, however in this case we were never provided with the service for which our fee paid....and their answer was for us to trek up to the front office to get reliable wifi....I think not!
We sent an email when we returned home from a reliable internet source that lasted more than a minute..and so far have received absolutely no answers.
We are very disappointed with this treatment whereas we had previously stayed and had full amenities throughout our stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
The OP had weak (to say the least) WiFi service and many have addressed that in one way or another (both positively and negatively)... but the thread title suggests the main issue is that the OP didn't like how he was treated by the campground management. I don't see any way we can help with that.
Mr. Dan, I respectfully have a different outlook.

The OP complained about unreliable WIFI at their campsite.
After working with the staff, they suggested coming to the office if they wanted reliable WIFI and the OP's words were... "I think not."

We don't know if the park advertised 'WIFI at every campsite' or simply 'WIFI available' but we do know (from post # 1) the staff tried to get them WIFI (but weren't able to) and that the OP was reluctant to follow the staffs suggestions of coming to the office for WIFI. Had they went to the office and still not been able to log onto the WIFI, this would be a different conversation.

I think we earned the right to voice our opinions (either way) once they came here and posted about it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #63

We do not camp! We spend 2 - 3 months in FL and another 3 - 4 months on the road, excluding summer. We explore ~~ we often get online to find new things to see and do within 100 miles or so. Rarely are we interested in a campfire but a new museum, gallery, restaurant, festival, and many other venues. So~~ wifi is required, even minimal service. Often we will plan the next nights stop based on a computer search as well. I agree with the OP, not going to the office to logon. That is the only reason we will not return to a CG on the Outer Banks.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:15 PM   #64

Lack of personal attention!

This topic seems like it pretty much has run its course. We can agree or disagree with the OP about the quality, or lack of, WiFi at various campgrounds. Although I don't always follow my own advice, usually the time to resolve an issue is while you are still engaged. If the OP had gone to the office before checking out and calmly requested a partial refund, he may have received one on the spot. Instead, he moved in to the next stop, or headed home, let this eat at him, and then he sent an email.
He doesn't state if he used the email to vent about his disappointment, or whether he asked/demanded to be be reimbursed for spotty WiFi service. I don't recall if he laid out a timeline between sending the email and posting in this forum. 12 hours vs 12 days makes a difference to seeing the bigger picture. Did he leave a scathing review on Trip Advisor or some other campground rating site prior to sending his email? There are too many unanswered questions to really know if we should be more, or less sympathetic to his plight.

Edit. I reread the original post. Two days passed between leaving the campground and posting in the forum. I'm not sure he gave them enough time to respond before his post.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #65

I think then that your only choice is find another campground. No campground I have ever been too will refund money. Just find another campground that has your requirements.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Mr. Dan, I respectfully have a different outlook.

The OP complained about unreliable WIFI at their campsite.
After working with the staff, they suggested coming to the office if they wanted reliable WIFI and the OP's words were... "I think not."

We don't know if the park advertised 'WIFI at every campsite' or simply 'WIFI available' but we do know (from post # 1) the staff tried to get them WIFI (but weren't able to) and that the OP was reluctant to follow the staffs suggestions of coming to the office for WIFI. Had they went to the office and still not been able to log onto the WIFI, this would be a different conversation.

I think we earned the right to voice our opinions (either way) once they came here and posted about it.
I don't really think our outlooks are as different as you propose. My comment about lack of personal attention stems from the comment about sending an email and receiving no response and the statement "We are very disappointed with this treatment". I don't have any problem with the "earned right" to post opinions once the thread is initiated. My point is that this particular situation (both technical and "feelings") at that particular campground can't be solved by any number of our posts. It is my opinion that even though the OP has the right to initiate it, he wasted his time posting it. I don't believe I've seen any OP responses?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I don't really think our outlooks are as different as you propose. My comment about lack of personal attention stems from the comment about sending an email and receiving no response and the statement "We are very disappointed with this treatment". I don't have any problem with the "earned right" to post opinions once the thread is initiated. My point is that this particular situation (both technical and "feelings") at that particular campground can't be solved by any number of our posts. It is my opinion that even though the OP has the right to initiate it, he wasted his time posting it. I don't believe I've seen any OP responses?
Hmmmm....maybe they didn't respond to his email because they're waiting for the Internet to kick in.....ouch!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Just FYI ...we just had great WiFi right down the road in Stuart, FL (it was also only the 3rd time we have used our TV in the past 4 yrs & we had great reception). Loved it as there just were not a whole lot of other things to do.

That said, I just cannot recommend getting towed to a dealer to sit & wait on repairs..... WiFi or no WiFi

Where in Stuart? Recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #69

No one hands you great connectivity on a silver platter. If it is required, you can either complain which as pointed out solves nothing or have many or all of the latest technologies, and know how to use them. If interested in what it takes,

How We Keep Online: Illustrated Tour of our RV Mobile Internet Setup | Technomadia

I also get using the forum to vent... I say vent away if it helps.
W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
X2
X3
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfaulksr View Post
X3

X4

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #72

First unless you paid extra for connectivity it's like the pool with no water...sorry bout dat, pump broke.

RV park folks are not motor home mechanics any more than they are network techs, they don't help because they don't know how.

As both my wife and myself are Network Engineers (RET) here is what we have found:

Company that sold them the connectivity package 4+ years ago is out of business and the version they have is only 20+ updates behind, the package they bought was worthless (technically) the day it was installed, not sized for the park or the customer load.

The guy in the spot next to you uploads pics half the night from the family reunion. Across from you the woman buys stuff off eBay all day. The folks behind you have a 14 year old son who does on line gaming.

Tip: Ask if they can 'reboot' the system (turn off, pull plug from wall, plug back in turn back on). Be sure to stay there until they do it. This MAY help.

No help? Wait, there is more. WiFi is dying anyway due to cheap data plans by the fone companies. Wife and have been cell only since the early 90's and up till recently she hotspotted me. Our fine bill ran around $165 or so. AT&T just gave us a new plan which includes both fones and both iPads. Our fone bill dropped to about $120. Now we both have WiFi turned off.

Talk with your provider about what they can offer and maybe you can be WiFi free also...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:19 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
I don't think campground and rv park owners should be required to provide unlimited wifi for people who work from their rigs.
I agree that workampers should be prepared to provide their own internet access but that assumes it's available. The campground may have access to DSL or cable internet to supply the camp, but there may be no cell signal for those prepared to use a MiFi card.

Also, just because someone works full time and is on the internet a lot, that doesn't mean they're using a lot of bandwidth. I connect to remote computers and most of the data exchange is on that remote machine. The only bandwidth involved is displaying the content of the screen. Remote systems are designed to optimize that and minimize bandwidth.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:55 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Of course, they were military FamCamps, where they are always working to improve things because profit isn't the main concern. The last two we stayed at, DM AFB and Ft Huachuca AZ had multiple antennas throughout the campgrounds.

This seems to be one of the last perks of long military careers, and we plan to use them whenever possible.
was it free? All the FamCamps I have been to and I stay at a least one every trip I take you have to pay for your wifi, I forgot what the name of the company that comes up. You can buy daily or weekly. I'm glad at least some of the FamCamps are moving that way. I have never been to either of those bases, we just use our jet pack and that is secure, so at least we can do banking or paying bills on long trips. The big problem I see when using a CG wifi, you can be hacked pretty easy now a days, Might check or send emails but that's it on a CG wifi....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
was it free? All the FamCamps I have been to and I stay at a least one every trip I take you have to pay for your wifi, I forgot what the name of the company that comes up. You can buy daily or weekly. I'm glad at least some of the FamCamps are moving that way. I have never been to either of those bases, we just use our jet pack and that is secure, so at least we can do banking or paying bills on long trips. The big problem I see when using a CG wifi, you can be hacked pretty easy now a days, Might check or send emails but that's it on a CG wifi....
Agree with W/D! I liked the C/G owner who has a Sign "FREE WIFI until Gone"! Youroo!!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:38 PM   #76

My favorite campgrounds have no Wi-Fi or cell phone service. Ahhhhh relaxing to go back in time and actually connect with your family and friends