Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #1

Lakeland kissimee fl?

Looking for a campground located near Kissimee and Lakeland Fl. Going down to see some spring training games for 3 or 4 days and do mc riding. Prefer a place with a little space between campers . Anybody know of any state parks? Or any campgrounds. Give us your views thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
H2oski

We stayed here before. Pretty nice quite and sates are pretty large for a RV resort. I would recommend.

Sherwood Forest RV Resort | RV Park in Florida | Kissimmee RV Campground
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

May be farther than what you want but we must stay at a campground with hookups. Check out Kissimme/Orlando KOA. Plenty of space between sites. No trees. Patio sites are very nice.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #4

Not a lot of campgrounds to choose from in that particular stretch, except closer to Kissimmee. ReserveAmerica.com shows a KOA in between them, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Love spring training season!

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #5

Booked A Spot

We booked a spot at Le Lynn RV Resort. The location is perfect to go to Detroit Tigers at Lakeland, and Atlanta Braves at ESPN/Disney. We got a pull through site which is great for loading and unloading motorcycles, all sites are 30/50 amps, and the price was $185 for 5 nights ($37 night). One big drawback is that campfires are not allowed. the very nice lady I spoke with told me that many parks in Florida are outlawing fires.... what's your experience? Geez we really like to have a fire. I'd go somewhere else to have a fire, all things being equal. I did check the KOA down the road and they do allow fires but the rate was $339 for 5 nights ($68 night) - don't know if we need a fire that bad! I'm gonna keep looking just in case I find a fire friendly campground in this area.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #6

It's hit or miss re: fires. Most state parks still allow them in their fire pits. Some will allow them in a fire pit, but do not provide one. Others ban them altogether. This is our "dry season", so it's understandable. And in that part of the state, you're near an area known as Green Swamp, which suffered massive fires several years ago. It burned for months, even closing I-4. Evidence of that fire is still around.

That's a good location, though. Right off the interstate, with a landmark truck stop on the other side. You'll have to check out Fantasy of Flight while you're there.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

Looks like this fire thing is going to take some more time. Most likely it will not be warm enough to sit outside at night in central Fl at the end of Feb. without a fire or heat source of some kind. We don't want to sit inside, we could stay home and do that and it'd be real comfy. But we want to camp and that means lots of time outdoors. So I went to the camoing store and explained my situation to the guy there. he showed me a 7' tall patio heater, propane fired, radiant heat. But of course heat doesn't radiate downwards so I don't know how that will work. And then you have to disassemble the heater to take it with you and assemble it when you get there. Then he showed me the round heaters that screw on top of a propane bottle. 1, 2, or 3 burners and he says they really put off the heat and sittin in a chair you'd stay toasty. Then he showed me several different fire pits on legs but I'm not sure they'd let us use those. Then he said why don't you use a smoker or even a bbq grill and just burn a wood fire in it. Surely bbq grills are allowed. I guess my next step is to call the campgrounds and see what they will allow. I've got about 6 weeks to get this figured out so there is time for all of you to tell me of your experience with outdoor heat sources when campfires are outlawed. I'm sure the day is coming when the tree huggers accomplish that and then there will be no campfires allowed anywhere.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Always Learning

Look at the "camp fire in a can" or "little red camp fires". Both are propane based fires.

At the place in Key West that I want to go- it says no fires that throw sparks. So a wood grill wouldn't be allowed.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Google Lake Magic Kissimmee on 192.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #10

Look at this place. Close to Wide World of Sports complex. Have not stayed there but reviews seem good..

Campgrounds & RV Parks in Orlando, Kissimmee & Disney, FL | Tropical Palms Resort
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	45095  

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #11

more on lakeland side

We've bought our tickets and as it turns out 3 of the 4 games we'll see will be at Lakeland and only one at the ESPN park at Kissimee and that's south of Kissimee. So thanks for the tips for the parks near Disney but we need to be closer to Lakeland and I think LeLynn will be a great spot. Still concerned about the heater/fire situation although it's all relative. Average temp in Lakeland in late Feb 75/50. To someone in the great white north that probably sounds good but to this southern boy it's a bit on the chilly side. LOL Maybe won't need a heater at all, maybe just a jacket. But I may buy one anyway just in case.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #12

all in the perspective

Take a look at this and see what you think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1511237_473745042729799_1935810001_n.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	45111  
Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Look at the "camp fire in a can" or "little red camp fires". Both are propane based fires.

At the place in Key West that I want to go- it says no fires that throw sparks. So a wood grill wouldn't be allowed.
The little red camp fire is pretty cool and on sale till tomorrow at Camping World. Gonna have to check on that
Old 01-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #14

I'll be staying at Lake Kissimmee state park starting Sunday, I can give a report then.
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote