Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Looking for family friendly CG in TN or KY

We prefer on or near a lake and with lots of activities. We have been looking at Dale Hollow, Norris Lake, and Lake Cumberland but are open to others as well. Looking for decent size spots with some trees/shade. If you have suggestions please let me know.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

In KY, HIGHLY recommend Singing Hills! Very family friendly (they have a fishing lake and other children's activities)
Singing Hills RV Park

BIG plus is Mammoth cave is close by - a great family outing.

Where in TN are you looking to camp? If in the Smokies, we absolutely love this CG:
Big Meadow Family Campground | Smoky Mountain Camping in Townsend, TN

Close enough to go to Gatlinburg/Dollyworld and all those places, RIGHT near the entrance to the GSM National Park and NOWHERE near as hectic and crowded as the campgrounds over in Pidgin Forge/Gatlinburg!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

HSV,

Thanks for the info. We are just looking for some pleace within about a 6-7 hour drive from Central Ohio. No specific place in TN we were looking at, just something family friendly that is highly recommended.
Central Ohio
Old 06-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
HSV,

Thanks for the info. We are just looking for some pleace within about a 6-7 hour drive from Central Ohio. No specific place in TN we were looking at, just something family friendly that is highly recommended.
Both of those CGs are very family friendly and there are a TON of things to do around the area(s)

While not on a lake there is a great river that runs through Townsend--you can rent a tube and float down the river for @ 5 miles and the tube company picks you up in a bus and carts you back to the start. There are 3 separate routes and the cool thing is you pay a daily flat rate and take as many floats as you like!

Welcome to River Rage Tubing Company - the Tubing Headquarters of the Smoky Mountains!

Also there are guided white water rafting excursions about 45 min from Townsend - those are great family fun!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
We prefer on or near a lake and with lots of activities. We have been looking at Dale Hollow, Norris Lake, and Lake Cumberland but are open to others as well. Looking for decent size spots with some trees/shade. If you have suggestions please let me know.
Unless you have (Rappelling Experience) don't go to Lake Cumberland! These Lakes you have selected are more (Boat Friendly) not (Gatlinburg/PF or Disney) type locations! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

Dale Hollow State Park in KY is nice, but really no swimming place on the lake. Campsites are all mostly out in the sun. Has a nice lodge/restaurant, golf course & mini golf. We have stayed at Natural Bridge SP in eastern KY & really enjoyed it there. Small river runs through campground, lots of hiking, sky lift, mini golf, fishing. Not very close to a larger town ( no Walmart, K Mart etc. nearby). As HSVBamaBob said, you can't go wrong with Townsend, TN & its about 30 minutes from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Lots to chose from, just pick one & enjoy.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #7

Old Hickory Lake

Quote:
Cage's Bend CC on Old Hickory Lake north of Nashville. Can fish from your campsite. Corps of Engineers with plenty of family things to do there or near by. Large spaces with lots of shade.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

Area lakes and camping Ky/Tn

You may want to look at the Ky. lake/ Barkley lake area in western Ky. Nice CG just outside Grand Rivers, Ky., just north of Land Between the Lakes. Beautiful area, lakes on both sides. Check out Patti's in Grand Rivers famous for their 2" pork chops and pies with mile high meringue. Great market there
too, Village Market.
Robert
pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #9

Lake Cumberland SP near Jamestown KY is family friendly and the cornerstone of the Ohio navy that docks there. There is a nice lodge there to eat at plus a marina restaurant and a free shuttle service to the marina and all of the park attractions. Boat rental at the marina. There is an area with a small beach on the lake after a short hike near the rental cabins... just ask around. Horse back riding and hiking trails and a playground in the campground. Sites are not small but little undergrowth to shield you from the next spot. Not much to do surrounding the park, although great views of the dam and a picnic area park below the Cumberland dam about 8 miles south of the campground. Great place to get your toes wet or put in a float in the summer when the dam is not dumping too much water.

There are a ton of things to do around Mammoth Cave off I-65, with lots of camping on large spots and many different cave tours (not free though), but no electric or water at camp sites. The surrounding area is filled with tourist traps and attractions that favor kids.

On the east side of Lake Cumberland is Burnside Island campground, one of my favorites. This has a swimming pool, golf course, slides and swings in the campground. The sites are large and private to crowded near the playground. They even have a college-kid attendant at the playground. You can easily fish from shore near the boat dock not far from the camp ground. The nearby town of Somerset has all of the shopping you could ever need. Down the road at Stearns, KY is an old-time train ride into the scenic valley that takes a couple of hours.

Also on that side of the Lake is Cumberland Falls SP, with world famous Cumberland Falls and it's moonbow you might find at the right time of the month. Great river swimming and natural wonders to look at.

Burnside Island and Cumberland Falls are about a 3.5 to 4.5 hour hour drive south of the Ohio River. Eat at the family-priced Dinner Bell restaurant off exit 76 near Berea, KY on your way. Visit the KY Artisan Center (free) at exit 77 again near Berea. Rest rooms, and a snack bar are part of that attraction, plus unique artistic creations that are for sale.

Try to divert around I-75 in Cincinnati proper as it is being worked on (again) and there are often backups south of the I-74 interchange to the bridge. Both of these parks are very popular so try to make reservations.

PM me if you need more information...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #10

RS,

Thanks for the info. We camped at General Burnside SP a couple of years back and like it. We did go down and see the little town with the train but it was near the end of the day and the train was not running. Took a pontoon boat from one of the MANY marina's, not the one right next door it was a ways away, and went over to the Lake Cumberland SP marina area on the boat and checked it out. Seemed really nice. When I was young and in Boy Scouts we used to White Water Raft starting at Cumberland Falls. We also went and checked out the Falls while there and the nearby Cumberland Falls SP campground that was TINY. We may very well try the Lake Cumberland SP out, if not for this trip, soon.
Central Ohio
Old 06-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #11

If you do go to Lake Cumberland SP, try picking up I-64 off I-75 to Rt 127 south instead of using I-75 all the way south. Takes just as long but is easier driving at 55 and 60 with 4 lanes at least 2/3 of the way down Rt 127. You will pass within 5 miles of Four Roses Distillery with tours Mon-Sat 9 to 3 on the hour. Very informative even for kids.

From LCSP, take Rt 55 north to Lebanon, KY and tour Independent Stave Barrel Co. Call them first as sometimes the tour is down. You will pass Green River SP on the way and you can check out that CG and see if it fits your style. LCSP does have shaded spots, maybe not full shade but certainly morning or afternoon shade as the campsite area is surrounded by mature trees.

I often camp at My Old KY Home SP in Bardstown, KY. It is not on a lake, but is surrounded by many historical spots and distillery tours. Great eating in nearby restaurants including Mammy's Kitchen in downtown Bardstown and the Whistle Stop restaurant in Glendale, voted the best non-franchise restaurant in KY several years running.
http://whistlestopky.com/

Have a great adventure...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #12

Check out Anchor Down RV Resort in Dandridge, Tn. Just north of Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Direcly on Douglas Lake with white sand beach area, jumping and climbing inflatables in the water, pool with slide, new dock and the nicest RV sites I have ever occupied. Poured/stamped concrete pads and an inground firepit or full hearth fireplace in the premium and signature sites. No trees as to not block views of the lake and the Smokie Mtns beyond. Not in the congestion that is Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg but a short distance to get in the middle of all the above represent and offer. It is pricey but, by far, the nicest RV Resort I have been to in my 20 yrs of RVing. I was there over Memorial Day weekend and will be there the week of 7/4. Reservations are a must.
speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote