Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Cardinal 04 31LE

Looking for nice Campground in Niagra Falls area

A small camping group I am a part of (4-5 families) is considering a 7-9 day trip to the Niagara Falls area. We want to camp in the States but visit the American and Canadian Falls. We pull 35 to 40 ft fifth wheels and need decent 50 amp sites.

I'm seeking advice from anyone with experience or knowledge of the area and the campgrounds. I don't always trust the websites.

Oh by the way we plan to be in the area over the July 4th Holiday. Probably June 30 - July 8.
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #2

We stayed 5 nights at the KOA north Lewiston this past August. Was about 55 bucks a night. They have pretty good pull thru sites. Not a five star resort, but I would stay there again.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

Hello,
I live in Niagara Falls, NY. The KOA Grand Island is a nice CG attached to an amusement park called Fantasy Island. There is also a small CG named Branches of Niagara on Grand Island. This park is only a couple years old. Small but very nice. Both parks are only a 5-10 minute ride from Niagara Falls. Either park would be a good choice.
Herms1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #4

I stayed at the KOA on Grand Island last summer. They have cabins and rv sites. It was an easy drive to the falls. The best surprise was Martins Fantasy Island, a small amusement park right next door. We do Disneyworld every year and this was the best value, loads of thrill rides, short lines, and cheap. I left sick. We live in Texas and I can't wait to go back. Oh, and when you go to the border and the Canadian customs dudes ask if you have any weapons, don't answer,"What do you need?"
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #5

Four Mile Creek State Park

I would agree that the KOA on Grand Island is a nice location for getting to the falls and it is neat to have the amusement park there too. I just wanted to let you know there is a nice state park in Youngstown NY. It is Four Mile Creek state park. It will be a quieter setting; you can check it out on Reserve America. Youngstown and Lewiston NY are smaller older towns on the lower Niagara River. Youngstown has Old Fort Niagara which is an old French fort and across the river in Canada is Fort George. A lot of neat history here, and usually a nice place to visit in July. The campground is on Lake Ontario and you should get some nice breeze off of the lake. I always prefer state parks compared to other campgrounds. Either place would be great. As far as visiting the falls on the US and Canadian sides.... I would suggest Canada. It will be a much better view. If you go across (to Canada) take the time to go to Niagara-on-the Lake in Canada. It is the town directly across from Youngstown NY at the mouth of the river. Great wine country and pretty cool shops in the town too if you like that stuff. As far as Niagara Falls NY, the Falls state park is nice to go to and check out Three sister islands and the Maid of the Mist boat ride at the base of the falls. Other than that NF NY does not have much to offer at all. I would not discourage anyone from coming and checking out this spectacular handiwork of God's creation. Just Google earth the areas you want to check out and you can see what the areas look like. If I can help out in any way let me know, I live near and work in Niagara Falls NY.

Giff
giff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #6

We also did the Erie canal boat ride in Lockport as well as Fort Niagara, Whirlpool state park and the electric plant self guided tour is very interesting.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

We have stayed at Four Mile Creek State Park on the US side. It is near Fort Niagara and north of Lewiston. Your camping fee gets you into all other Niagara Parks. Saved us lots of money. You will need to make reservations for a long weekend. Great view of Toronto and Lake Ontario. Nice size lots. We really like it there.
portliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

We stayed at Branches of Niagara Campground & Resort on Grand Island last Summer. We liked it because is was quiet, clean, had large sites, a nice lake with activities. It is out in the country, away from traffic and crowds. It is close enough to the Falls and some good local restraunts. It was also cheaper than the KOA.
Click here: Niagara Falls Camping - RV, Tent, Cabin Camping - Branches of Niagara Campground and Resort - Grand Island, NY
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #9

One other tip for visiting Niagara Falls Ontario. You can park on the US side and walk across the Rainbow Bridge. It is a great way to beat the bridge traffic and parking issues in Canada.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #10

Glad to hear you are coming our way for vacation this summer. No one has made you aware of what you need in the way of documentation crossing the bridges into Canada. You will need either a passport, passport card or enhanced driver's license to get across for everyone in your group. As camp grounds in the area go we have stayed at Four Mile several times. For a state campground it is very well run. The Parkway just outside the campground runs right to the Falls. There is a toll on the bridge $3.25 per car, but you only pay going from the states into Canada. Hope this helps in making your decision.
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #11

When on the Canadian side you should have a DD and do the wine tour. Many wineries have free samples. There are many small wineries that do not offer the wines in the Ontario liqueur stores, but are only available at the winery. Another nice tour on the Canadian side is the Welland canal. You can get up close to the large ships that travel from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #12

We stayed at King Waldorf's Tent & Trailer Park which is part of Marineland Canada and would recomend it. Near the Niagra river and not too far from the falls!
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #13

Just stayed at the Grand Island Niagara Falls KOA. Very nice. Cute amusement park connected to it. Good for one day, it's small but no lines and cheap. They had a great coaster called the Silver Comet. The KOA is $ but pretty nice.
Mr. Vic is offline   Reply With Quote