Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #1

Looking for site in Florida Keys, 1st week of Jan

Hi, sorry if we are posting on the wrong forum, this seemed to be the closest fit. We are taking a last minute winter trip down the east coast and had hoped to make our way all the way down to Key West. Naturally, this being last minute we are finding most places to be booked. We are going to try to make our way from New York to around Virginia or North Carolina where we will de-winterize the rig, and then on to South Carolina to try to spend a night or 2 near Charleston. From there we eventually want to make our way through to Florida (a stop at Disney would be nice but also likely to be pretty booked up, I'm sure). As far as Key West, that would be the ideal but also probably least likely to be available.
Anywhere within an hour or two would be nice. We don't have specific dates just yet but we might be able to shift things around if we get a site to make it work. We are not looking for a full week, which is probably not helping our cause, probably 2 or 3 nights is all we can afford to spend.

This trip came about kind of suddenly because we just got a new tow vehicle that we are much more confident in, and because we both have coordinating time off from work that was only just confirmed, so we haven't really been able to commit to anything until now. If anyone has any ideas, we're all ears! We've been trying to search around as much as possible and then I remembered where I go for most of my other information so I figured why not post it here!

Thanks!
Jeremy
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #2

Sounds like a great trip. If you swing by and pick us up in Michigan, I could help you personally find a spot down by Key West. Wife is a great back seat driver and lets you know if you are doing anything wrong while driving.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

HaHaHaHa, good one Locky!
Try Fiesta Key RV Resort. They may have something for you and they are north of KW
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
HaHaHaHa, good one Locky!
Try Fiesta Key RV Resort. They may have something for you and they are north of KW
Thanks, we'll look into that! looks promising, and close enough to do a day trip to Key West.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Hi, sorry if we are posting on the wrong forum, this seemed to be the closest fit. We are taking a last minute winter trip down the east coast and had hoped to make our way all the way down to Key West. Naturally, this being last minute we are finding most places to be booked. We are going to try to make our way from New York to around Virginia or North Carolina where we will de-winterize the rig, and then on to South Carolina to try to spend a night or 2 near Charleston. From there we eventually want to make our way through to Florida (a stop at Disney would be nice but also likely to be pretty booked up, I'm sure). As far as Key West, that would be the ideal but also probably least likely to be available.
Anywhere within an hour or two would be nice. We don't have specific dates just yet but we might be able to shift things around if we get a site to make it work. We are not looking for a full week, which is probably not helping our cause, probably 2 or 3 nights is all we can afford to spend.

This trip came about kind of suddenly because we just got a new tow vehicle that we are much more confident in, and because we both have coordinating time off from work that was only just confirmed, so we haven't really been able to commit to anything until now. If anyone has any ideas, we're all ears! We've been trying to search around as much as possible and then I remembered where I go for most of my other information so I figured why not post it here!

Thanks!
Jeremy
Boyd's Campground on Stock Island in Key West! Keep your eyes closed driving in (the neighborhood is a little "off"). We have stayed there the past 10 years and ABSOLUTELY love it. It is a safe slice of paradise. Eat at Roostica and Hog Fish grill. You will not be disappointed. Have fun!
EEDOLPHINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:29 AM   #6

While Boyd's is awesome and very nice, if you are a little fancier, you might try Bluewater. It is about 9 miles outside of Key West.
EEDOLPHINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:31 AM   #7
Always Learning

Best thing I can tell you for the Keys is to start on Campendium or RVParkReviews and just browse your way down the map. Call each one that has decent reviews.

As for Disney, try Disney’s Fort Wilderness but if you can’t get in there, there are a variety of RV parks nearby. Try Tropical Palms or Lake Magic- both are Encore parks that are 10-15 minutes outside of Disney.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:50 AM   #8

Download the app, RV Parky. Best campground app out there. It's free. Lists almost all RV parks and other places you can park just for overnight. Give web address to campground, telephone, and directions.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #9
OYO

Jolly Roger in Marathon is pretty reasonable and has nice facilities. I understand they've upgraded their water access.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #10

Sunshine Key RV resort on Ohio Key just west of Marathon Key and the Seven Mile Bridge. Hit hard during the hurricane of 2017 is now re-built and back in business.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #11

Thanks for all the ideas, folks! We've got a couple days booked in Charleston now, so we just have to figure out where we'll stop in between and then we'll have our arrival date and can go from there!
Old 12-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #12

you can do like us, and just 'arrive' in Key West, with no place to stay! We overnighted behind a strip mall, behind the ROSS store, off Roosevelt... no issues.

My advice, at this time of year, is to not write off the ability to either overnight in a large parking lot(not a lot to choose from, though), or to stop at each RV PARK and see if a cancellation allows you to stay....it never hurts, but it sure is fun.

Check out the Cuban Coffee Queen(on the north harbor) for some 'real' coffee, and a Cuban sandwich(delish!) while you sit at the outdoor seating(only), and check out the number of chickens roaming around. They like humans! Or, walk over to the harbor and watch the boats come in...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #13

retired DoD?

Are you retired military (with retired ID card) - or retired Civilian - DoD?

If so - the Navy has a great RV site (actually - 2) on the last island - Key West!

It is a bit pricey - $14/night for a site without hookups. With hookups - price goes up to $17/night. NOW - they have 100 sites with hook ups, and about 500 without hookups - but easy access to water....and easy to drain holding tanks when needed. The main RV site is further from down-town Key West - and has 100 hookup sites and 200 sites without hookups. This is usually full in the winter - and people can sign up to rotate in to the hookup sites (for 2 weeks - then out ...and rotate in maybe 4 to 5 weeks later...). The overflow RV site is closer to down-town - but no hookups...however there is a swimming pool and full bathroom. Generator hours are reasonable. This is a great deal, if you are eligible, and you don't mind partial 'boondocking'.

We did this 2 years ago...and we ran our generator in the morning when cooking breakfast and brewing coffee....and we recharged the 12V batteries that had slight draw down through the day. Breezes during the day meant we didn't ever consider using the air conditioning. And - dinners in town reduced the need for cooking in the evening.
vineyardmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyardmh View Post
It is a bit pricey - $14/night for a site without hookups. With hookups - price goes up to $17/night.
I'm going to assume that was sarcasm!
Old 12-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #15

Not sure what kind of camper you are . Try Bahia Honda SP. May not have hook ups but many sites back up to water.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #16

I stayed at Jolly Roger in Marathon over Thanksgiving and the had lots of room then, or I'm sure you can get a spot at Boyd right in Key West but expect to go for some bucks.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #17

Places to Stay in The Keys short notice

Try Grassy Key and Bluewater they are awesome and the others are nice also! You may actually find places that have a day or two here and there if you don’t mind moving parks but they are all close by! We will be there around the 5th😊
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
Not sure what kind of camper you are . Try Bahia Honda SP. May not have hook ups but many sites back up to water.
In Jan and Feb the popular state park campgrounds like Bahia Honda are fully reserved about 2 seconds after 8 am 11 months ahead of time. I have learned to test the online reservation system to get my computer clock in sync (or know the offset) so I can try to login at exactly 8am. then I have a 20-30% chance of getting through. Wait 5 s and your chance is zero. I was 0-3 for Bahia and gave up. I did get into John Pennecamp.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

no kidding. I briefly looked at key west till I saw campgrounds were charging $4,000 a month for rent in the winter months.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yup. Nearest RV sites were several islands before Key West - and rates of about $110/night.

Add in that hotels in Key West were charging about $400/night..... I was more than willing to pay this 'high' fee of $14/night.

It was wonderful to take our bicycles and be in down-town Key West within 10 minutes of easy pedaling. We had a great time there.
vineyardmh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida