Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #41
Who Dares, Wins

I agree, I enjoyed the island but it is a tourist trap as they say.. Everyone capolizes on the no car thing and get you coming and going. We skipped the forts. To me they are too touristy for my taste. I still enjoyed the beautiful area and the nice bike riding.

Soo locks took more time to get there than they had things to do. Like I said I skipped the lake boat (Valley Camp) tour. But other than watching the boats and maybe the lock tour.. I can pass on the jersey shore type shops along the roads.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #42
Who Dares, Wins

On RE read of my post.. Felt harsh. I'd still do the locks if you could. This does interest me and was interesting.. Just like the island. The old time flare is cute.. But the scenery and such us still neat.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Now I'm confused, easy to do of course! We are really looking forward to the whole trip though, hearing so much about how beautiful Michigan is and so much to see and do.
It is like a trip back in time. They have skits they do at the fort and lite off the cannon too. Nice working blacksmith shop, butterfly house and lots of things to see. Of course there is fudge and good eats but things are expensive there.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #44

St. Ignace has a very nice hot rod car show every year , I think its the 3rd. weekend of June ,
My dad used to tell me stories about crossing the straits to the U.P. on a car ferry before the bridge was built .
I think both forts would be of interest to the same crowds that like to visit the Civil War sites and battle fields ect . Mackinaw Island does have a rich history in the forming of our country and state .
But there are so many other things to do and see here , Pictured Rocks is another must see in my book .
Old 07-12-2016, 05:15 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
On RE read of my post.. Felt harsh. I'd still do the locks if you could. This does interest me and was interesting.. Just like the island. The old time flare is cute.. But the scenery and such us still neat.

If you really want to see the island, and all its beauty, you need to spend the night there. It's a whole different world once the last "fudgie" boat leaves for the day.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
If you really want to see the island, and all its beauty, you need to spend the night there. It's a whole different world once the last "fudgie" boat leaves for the day.
Or wait until the Huron freezes and ride your Snowmobile across the "Marked Ice Bridge Trail"! Youroo!!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Or wait until the Huron freezes and ride your Snowmobile across the "Marked Ice Bridge Trail"! Youroo!!
Never had a chance to do that in my younger days when I loved the winter, the snow, and playing in it. Unfortunately after 40 years of working construction where I froze in the winter or fried in the summer. My body no longer tolerates either weather extreme.

For many years, my dad, may he rest in peace, had a 37' blow boat and he spent many a summer on the Island. Since I needed to work for a living, I could only make it up there on occasion, and that was usually to help bring the boat back in the fall.

If anyone happens to have recent high school graduates or soon to be graduates that are looking for a summer of fun. There are always summer jobs available on the island and most will include food and lodging.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #48

X2 on spending the night on the island! In the morning you're awaken by the sounds of the clip-clop of horse hooves...

And with a burn permit from the fire station you can have a campfire on the beach and watch the boats coming/going with the bridge in the background, good times!!

Even on a day trip we had a good time there. We Geocached are way around the island on bikes, brought a picnic lunch. Arch rock is a 'must see'. Sitting in the adirondack chairs on the beach at Mission Point was fun too!
3.5L V-6 Ecoboost
Time-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 AM   #49

Bring BICYCLE LOCKS AND USE THEM! No, your bicycle likely will not leave the island, however, with a "million" bicycles to choose from, some tired folk take them to their next island destination and leave them. Try to FIND yours, ha!

A little pain in the keister, however, just a necessary tool.

Be SURE YOU HAVE WATER BOTTLES. It's a big island and a lot of distance when thirsty.

Use your photo app on your phone if you park your bike downtown. Get a store front photo as a marker. Things look different in 2 hours of wandering!

Been there and ALWAYS enjoyed it!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:55 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post

From Drummond Island I guess. Been there done that.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
From Drummond Island I guess. Been there done that.

Russell
Nope from St Ignace to Mackinic Island is one! The other is from Drummond Island to Thessalon,Canada after you take the Ferry from Detour,Mi! That ice bridge is about 17 miles across,it varies from year to year! Youroo!!
Old 07-13-2016, 05:25 AM   #52

Ok. I've only done the Drummond to Canada. And yes had to get to Drummond island on the ferry first.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #53

We stayed @ Wilderness SP Tuesday & Wednesday,,, many of the camp sites are very large,,, we were on site #13,,, I think they could have built a site between #13 & # 14,,, but I am glad they did not !!! You can see the size of the sites on-line !!! It looks to an old park and the bathrooms & showers show that,,, but it is priced right and a Great spot on Lake Michigan !!! If you go there and camp on the other edge,,, beware of the Poison Ivy !!!
Another Great Michigan SP where we were on Monday the 11th was Tawas Point,,, Nice beach & Light House !!!
PURE MICHIGAN !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote