Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #1

Maine campgrounds?

Can anyone suggest campgrounds in South Coast and/or mid coast Maine that are clean and on the quiet side? We are looking for partly wooded sites, scenic (by the water, or water view), full hook ups, and spacious sites (read--not packed in like sardines in a can!) We are brand new to travel trailer camping, don't want our first excursions to be unappealing! My husband is a dyed in the wool backpacker, so a camper was a bit of a reach on his priority list! Getting referrals for good campgrounds seems like the best way to get started....
Andiem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

We spend 2 weeks every year at Sea-Vu campground in Wells Maine, its on Route 1, It does not have a view of the ocean but it does have a view of the bay. It has nice sites that are full hookups and shaded. We have been staying there for the last 3 years and have always had a good stay. Check them out.
set182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

Sunset Point CG,Harrington,Maine. Fills you request and the Owner will cook & Deliver (Lobster) to your Campsite! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #4

Andiem, campgroundreviews.com is an excellent resource for checking out campgrounds. I usually start there, find some places I might be interested in, check out their website looking for pictures of actual campsites and look to see how many kids activities they offer (not interested, grown and dealing with their own lil' ones). After all that, I'll check out Google Earth or MSN's maps to get a birds eye view of the place. Seems like a lot, but only takes a few minutes. Good Luck and Welcome to a great way to unwind!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #5

I second the Google Earth comment - it helps to get a visual of the actual location since the pictures included may be chosen for optimal visual impact or just a shot of someones camper parked in the spot so you can't see a whole lot of what you're getting.

We used to do a lot of tent camping too, and still do on occasion, and if you do your research you can get a similar experience in a camper. Not exactly the same, obviously, but you can certainly get many of the same aspects. Do a little reading on dry camping and boon docking if you are looking for a more rustic feel.

Also, when you read the comments of others on any given prospective park, keep in mind that there are a lot of different ideas about what makes a great location. Some people prefer all the amenities of home while others don't. We always look for places that don't offer wireless, cable, etc. or that have many reports of poor or no phone service, and no hookups in not a turn off for us at all, but we don't fit easily into most pre-defined groups either, so...

- Randy
Old 03-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

The wife and I came across a small privately owned camp ground called "Lobster Buoy in South Thomaston. You can google Lobster Buoy and find more information about it. It does not have sewer, as most of your camp grounds this close to the water, you have to dump or use blue boy. Of all the camp grounds we have visited over the years this one is the best. You are right on the water, great people, slow life style, don't be in a hurry when you are there it will do you no good and the rates are wonderful. Lots of back woods to run in, great food near by. We travel from East Tennessee to stay there every year or so.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
k

Andiem1 If you go to Maine You Must go to the Bar Harbor area absolutely beautiful the Mrs. and I spent 2 weeks on the Maine coast last year one of the spots we stayed was in Trenton Maine narrows too, We stayed on the water it was beautiful you can pull in and watch the water day and night .. GOOD LUCK.

Narrows Too Camping Resort

1150 Bar Harbor Road
Trenton, Maine 04605
(207) 667-4300 (in season)
Latitude N44° 26.311'
Longitude W68° 22.021'
1 Springer Spaniel (5)
2013 ford edge toad
1 patient Bride
raysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

I'm not familiar enough with Maine to know if where we stayed is in the area you're looking, but we really liked it. Family owned. Friendly people. Pets welcome.
Swimming pool, close to water, laundry facilities.

Hadley's Point Campground Bar Harbor - Easy to find quiet location

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #9

It depends on where you really want to be and how much you want to spend. Anything coastal in Southern Maine (Old Orchard, Saco and the likes) will be 50-60/night and packed in tight. Some are close to the seashore but not on the seashore. Further up in say Wiscasset there is a campground that is 60-80/ night on a bay but the sites are about 1/4 to 1/2 acre so not cramped at all and nice. Lots of places in the Bar Harbor area. If you wan the Camden/Rockport area there is Camden State Park which has E/W but no sewer (yes they have a dump station) and the price is around 25 or so. Any questions if you pick a CG let me know. If it is close enough I can check it out for you.

Tags
mpg